Do you really want to know the Florida law(s) re: golf carts?

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Do you really want to know the Florida law(s) re: golf carts?

Having spent over 30 years in the claim department of a major insurance carrier I seriously doubt the validity of the comments allegedly made by the insurance agent. Unless the insurance carrier only insures golf carts that can't go over 20mph, and that is specifically stated in the application or the policy, nobody is going to have a claim denied for a 21 mph mishap.

Then of course there is the problem of how to determine somebody was actually going over 20mph in an accident to even consider jumping to such a conclusion.

If an agent says coverage won't apply to a modified cart exceeding 20mph, have him show you the specific policy language which excludes coverage for such a loss, or in the alternative have him show you where on your application for coverage it states the cart is only insured under certain conditions and one of them is the lack of modification.

If in fact, such conditions or language does exist, which I sincerely doubt, find a different insurance company.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:47 AM
Platinum member

Also keep in mind that according to an article in The Daily Sun on insuring golf carts, home owner policies which include golf cart coverage limit coverage to going to and from the golf course and while playing a round of golf, and exclude coverage when the golf cart is used for other trips. This shouldn't be news for most, but I realize there are many new owners and prospective buyers on this site who may not be aware of this limitation which requires a separate policy for golf carts.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Veteran member

First, I'm not a lawyer. I'm an engineer and a scientist. That said...here's my two cents. Here are two relavent "state' regulations which define golf carts and LSVs:

(22) “Golf cart” means a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured
for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that
is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 miles per hour.
(42) “Low-speed vehicle” means any four-wheeled electric vehicle whose
top speed is greater than 20 miles per hour but not greater than 25 miles
per hour, including neighborhood electric vehicles. Low-speed vehicles must
comply with the safety standards in 49 C.F.R. 571.500 and s. 316.2122.

Here's my interpretation: The regulations themselves place no "limitations" on speed...it simply defines a vehicle by its speed capability as intended by original manufactured design. If your "vehicle" was "designed" to have the capability to exceed 20mph, your vehicle "could" be defined as an LSV and MUST be registered and insured and fully equipped (i.e. mirrors, headlights, turn signals, seat belts...). If your "vehicle" was "designed" to have the capability to exceed 20 mph but not 25 mph your vehicle "could" be defined as a "MOTOR VEHICLE: It all distills down to what the original "design" criteria of the manufactur is and what was published as its maximum speed capability. Any modifications to increase speed output thereof is a grey area, in my opinion, and you could be on the hook. Notice that I use the worlds "COULD" and "MAY".

Here is an interesting motion filed in a Florida court which may illustrates how these things could be interpreted in cases of accidents:
http://www.swampcycles.com/Rules/2D04-4882.pdf

Here's a Florida Senate blub which may help you understand the INTENT of the new laws.
http://www.flsenate.gov/data/Publica...df/98-47tr.pdf

It astonishes me that folks worry about their cholesterol level but yet don't hesitate to zip about town in a 'golf cart' at 25 mph with no seat belts. I personally have clocked speeds of "carts" with my "motor vehicle" at 27 to 30 mph....no kidding. Crash in a golf cart at that speed, no seat belts, and cholesterol is the least of your worries. Now I toss this question out to the forum....."Are insurance companies aware of this liability and potential for serious injury? What are the probabilities of accidents occuring based on season, population density, activity, location etc. What is the average cost per golf cart accident in terms of injury?" You bet they know.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 08-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Sage

he's baaaaacccckkkkk
Old 08-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Platinum member

Looks like TOTV is as porous as the gates are in TV. I believed he'd be back but under another name. > > >
Old 08-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

Curry..
What country are you from???? :dontknow:
What neighborhood do you live in?? Where is your house in TV??

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 08-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

"Toto, people come and go so quickly around here, I guess we are not in Kansas any more." ;D

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 08-17-2007, 02:07 PM

Please tell me exactly what law it is that states that a vehicle must be road worthy to be eligible for handicapped parking?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2007, 02:18 PM

i belief i posted this previously but according to the sumter county sheriff dept legally issued handicap placards can be used on golf carts to park in handicap spaces.
a few years ago a group of us sought clarification on this issue both with the sherriff dept and the village developer. golf carts are supposed to abide by all vehiclicular laws of the road.
placards are issued to handicapped persons not assigned to specific cars so i legally use my florida placard in whaterver vehicle i'm traveling in. and 90 percenty of the time that's my golf cart.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:23 PM

I am entitled to handicapped parkng. One day I was pulling into a handicapped space near Publix and there was a golf cart in the spot. I half parked in the spot and waited for the golf cart driver. Presently she showed up and I said something about carts paring in HC spaces. Just then her companion wheeled up in her chair. A very elderly lady missing both legs. I felt like a first class a** and apologized. Since then I believe that if you believe you need to park in an HC spot by all means do so. And if you don't approve check before opening mouth and inserting foot.

Peepop
Old 08-19-2007, 05:26 PM

golf carts parked in handicapped parking spots should display a legally issued handicapped placard.
if you live in sumter county applications can be obtained at the sumter county village annex on county road 466.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Eternal Member

Personally I do not understand what the problem is. If you have a handicap placard, you should be able to park in a handicapped parking spot. Just because I decide to use my golf cart instead of my automobile does not make me any less handicapped.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:28 PM

caveman, totally true.
but for some reason the issue seems to resurface from time to time
perhaps because parking is so tight for all residents. and some folks confuse handicap placards which are issued to individuals with handicapped license plates which are only issued to road legal vehicles.
i use my placard on my golf cart every day. and ignore rude comments or post-its left on my cart.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Eternal Member

Unfortunately, my wife - who has the handicap and uses the placard had it removed from her cart when it was parked in a handicapped spot. She looked all around just in case it had blown off and never found it.

Either a handicap hater or a overweight lazy slob took it and are using it for their own.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:55 PM

sorry to hear your wife's placard was stolen.
it's something i often fear but it hasn't happened yet and i imagine the folks who have left me "nasty" notes are fellow villagers with handicaps who mistakenly think their car has more rights to the handicapped spot than my golf cart. NOT SO.
we just have to keep educating villagers on the law.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.