Do You Trust The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2019, 08:54 PM
Default Do You Trust The Villages

As the hurricane approaches, I sincerely wish the best to everyone and I hope that the damages, if any are kept to a minimum.

That being said, do you guys really trust the workmanship in your homes that were built by The Villages?

I'm no construction engineer, but it seems to me that many homes here in The Villages were built quickly and I just wonder, what if the "big-one" strikes.

How will the homes hold-up?

Last edited by jcvdd1; 08-29-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,078 Times in 2,745 Posts

Our house was built in 1996 and is still holding up strong. The only damage from Irma a couple of years ago was a lost piece of siding. So far, so good.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Our house dates to 2004 and has weathered some storms well and we are pretty well protected this far inland except for from the tornadoes that sometimes are created by hurricanes as they work their way through.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvdd1 View Post
As the hurricane approaches, I sincerely wish the best to everyone and I hope that the damages, if any are kept to a minimum.

That being said, do you guys really trust the workmanship in your homes that were built by The Villages?

I'm no construction engineer, but it seems to me that many homes here in The Villages were built quickly and I just wonder, what if the "big-one" strikes.

How will the homes hold-up?
The homes were built quickly because they are built by teams, carefully choreographed teams. There are different groups of workers for foundations and plumbing and electrical and roofing and dry wall and framing and they know when and where they will be the day you sign for your home to be built. The materials are also carefully ordered and placed when the teams need them. We watched this home being built and were amazed at how smooth the process is. Even to some of the work was done over if the chief builder in charge didn't like how it was done. The roofing crew must have had ten plus men who arrived early and stayed way past six on a day that was in the nineties.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

I trust The Villages but not my neighbors who (during Irma) left out many guided missiles I didn't want to find on our bedroom . I had to run around asking them to please bring those ^%^$&$&$ flowerpots. light patio lawn chairs & patio umbrellas inside. House (11yrs old) siding and (4 yrs old) roof survived 100% hopefully this time will be the same. That was my first FL hurricane.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Our house was built in 1996 and is still holding up strong. The only damage from Irma a couple of years ago was a lost piece of siding. So far, so good.
Ok, but your home was built over 20 years ago when workmanship within The Villages "old management team" mattered.

In my humble opinion, the new homes built now and managed by the "new" management team at The Villages place profit over workmanship. Just my opinion.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,243 Posts

As part of my due dilligence I walked through 6 homes under construction and observed well built homes using the latest hurricane resistance construction methods.

The fact that they build thousands of the same home results in a highly optimized design and construction process.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

I'm not sure what the OPs motive is, but under the circumstances with a severe storm approaching, this thread rates way up there as one of the most pathetic threads I've seen on ToTV.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,744 Posts

No, I don’t think this thread is pathetic at all. I feel that when you face your first hurricane you’d like to know how safe you are in your home in TV. For example, do frame houses fare ok, as compared to block ones? How about manufactured homes? What about the different ages of houses as the building codes have changed several times.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:19 PM
Sage

Do YOU trust? We could be living in Tornado Allley---would you say the same there? Weather happens ALL over the world. Yes there's a lot of "news" regarding the weather. Sometimes I think it's over-done and if they gave updates just during the regular news, rather than adding between programming and updating on social media we'd be much better off. I think all this plays into people's anxieties. We've lived in FL/The Villages for 10 yrs now and so far we're good with where we are. As someone else said...pull all the stuff on your patio's, side-walks etc. inside. You don't want it blowing across the neighborhood and being responsible for damaging other people's properties. Be prepared for the worse and pray for the best!!! Worrying and lamenting about it won't improve anything.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,744 Posts

They say, “Knowledge never kills, but ignorance can.”
Old 08-28-2019, 10:42 PM
Platinum member

Buildings in Florida have to be built to certain construction codes. Whether buildings constructed within or outside the Villages have to withstand established wind velocities for that particular area before they are certified for occupancy. All newly constructed building are inspected by county inspectors, not Villages inspectors, to make certain the structure adheres to these safety standards.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Ok, but your home was built over 20 years ago when workmanship within The Villages "old management team" mattered.

In my humble opinion, the new homes built now and managed by the "new" management team at The Villages place profit over workmanship. Just my opinion.
IMHO You know what they say about opinions......
Old 08-28-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
No, I don’t think this thread is pathetic at all. I feel that when you face your first hurricane you’d like to know how safe you are in your home in TV. For example, do frame houses fare ok, as compared to block ones? How about manufactured homes? What about the different ages of houses as the building codes have changed several times.
THANK YOU for understanding my post-

I observed countless of supposedly "well-built" homes in South Miami-Dade County that were completely destroyed after Hurricane Andrew.

So yes, I'm concerned.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
So yes, I'm concerned.
So what are you going to do about it?

You could rent a mobile home and hunker down in it, if that would make you feel better.
Closed Thread

Tags
homes, villages, built, trust, construction

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.