Do You Trust The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2019, 05:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What ponds have you observed that are at near capacity?

About a week ago or so, the water was just barely below the wooden path on the cart bridge on hole #17...at Tierra Del Sol.

By far, the highest I've seen it in 10 years of playing that course.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Paradise Lake had water rippling over the docks behind peoples' houses there.
When??
Old 08-29-2019, 08:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

About a week ago or so, the water was just barely below the wooden path on the cart bridge on hole #17...at Tierra Del Sol.

By far, the highest I've seen it in 10 years of playing that course.
Quote:
When??
I agree the ponds were full. But irrigation and movement of water for ten days lowered the ponds.
The post I was questioning said the ponds have been filled to capacity. (???)
Old 08-29-2019, 08:17 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
At one time this was the highest it got from what I saw at Paradise. It's way down now along with the lakes at Mira Mesa, Chula Vista and Hilltop.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20190802_105035.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	80796  

Last edited by anothersteve; 08-29-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,186 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Last time with Irma, The Villages was able to divert a lot of the flooding and inundated their own golf courses to save the homes.
The front page of our local paper had a great article today about the water diverting system we have here in The Villages. The infrastructure was created to specifically divert water from the detention basins on to the golf courses. The system worked like a charm during and after Irma. It did what it was created to do......keep our homes safe from flooding.

Let the golfers complain about the courses being closed.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,575 Times in 3,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
The front page of our local paper had a great article today about the water diverting system we have here in The Villages. The infrastructure was created to specifically divert water from the detention basins on to the golf courses. The system worked like a charm during and after Irma. It did what it was created to do......keep our homes safe from flooding.

Let the golfers complain about the courses being closed.
This would be great - and seems to always be great. Except the Villages have already undergone a rather long stretch of rain, and the soil is already fairly saturated from diverting the retention ponds for the past few weeks.

If they get dumped on in just a few more days, it might be more than they can handle if there's no place left for the water to go.

I wouldn't panic, but I wouldn't be in denial of the distinct possibility either. Cautious optimism seems to be the most appropriate approach at this point.

In other words - trust in the lord, but tie up your camel.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
This would be great - and seems to always be great. Except the Villages have already undergone a rather long stretch of rain, and the soil is already fairly saturated from diverting the retention ponds for the past few weeks.

If they get dumped on in just a few more days, it might be more than they can handle if there's no place left for the water to go.

I wouldn't panic, but I wouldn't be in denial of the distinct possibility either. Cautious optimism seems to be the most appropriate approach at this point.

In other words - trust in the lord, but tie up your camel.
“Cautious optimism” is very reasonable.

TV drainage system is excellent. But even the best drainage systems have a capacity which can be exceeded.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvdd1 View Post
As the hurricane approaches, I sincerely wish the best to everyone and I hope that the damages, if any are kept to a minimum.

That being said, do you guys really trust the workmanship in your homes that were built by The Villages?

I'm no construction engineer, but it seems to me that many homes here in The Villages were built quickly and I just wonder, what if the "big-one" strikes.

How will the homes hold-up?
Why do those moving from the North think all Southern construction is not up to par? Hurricane codes for construction in FL changed after Andrew. I would feel more safe in a concrete block, stucco house than one with siding but they are what they are. If you don't feel safe then get on I75 and head North.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
Why do those moving from the North think all Southern construction is not up to par? Hurricane codes for construction in FL changed after Andrew. I would feel more safe in a concrete block, stucco house than one with siding but they are what they are. If you don't feel safe then get on I75 and head North.
Yes, and in either case why wait until a hurricane is almost here to worry about it?

That seems like looking to see if there is water in the pool AFTER jumping off the diving board.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
But, for your consideration, the roof system on a block home is no better in a hurricane than the roof on a frame home. The building code specs are the same.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
We think this, because we live in states where there are homes built in the 1700s that are a) still standing, b) 100% liveable c) with people actually living in them. Other than modern updates to fixtures, electricity, adding water pumps and other peripherals, the structures themselves have continued to support the people living in them.

We know the value of antique construction. New construction up here isn't special, it's just new.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Yes, and in either case why wait until a hurricane is almost here to worry about it?

That seems like looking to see if there is water in the pool AFTER jumping off the diving board.
More like, they're looking to see if there's water in the pool AFTER they've decided to go to the pool that day. You expect the pool to be open and useable. And you don't know that it isn't until you show up.

People move to the Villages when they move. They have their dates for moving, and that's when they make their move. They don't expect a hurricane to decide THAT week to show up. Not even during hurricane season. If they did, no one would ever move to Florida during hurricane season.

Dismissing their concerns is just dismissive and condescending.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:09 AM
Gold member

I bought a concrete block courtyard villa, with a roof that was inspected by my insurance company's recommended inspector prior to closing to ensure that it meets the hurricane codes. It does (and it was built twenty years ago by The Villages). We went through Irma's 90+ MPH winds with no damage to the house or roof, so I'm not worried much at all. People near storm surge areas and who live in old houses (or worse, mobile homes) should worry. I don't pay any attention to the Al Roker's of the world - they seem to take too much pleasure in their gloom and doom.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,256 Times in 426 Posts

Quote:
What ponds have you observed that are at near capacity?
You can't observe any Villages ponds if you don't live in TV or even in Florida for that matter. Maybe he has a telescope.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
You can't observe any Villages ponds if you don't live in TV or even in Florida for that matter. Maybe he has a telescope.
Actually, you can. Google Earth has been around for awhile now.
Closed Thread

Tags
homes, villages, built, trust, construction

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.