Does anyone have a weather radio?

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Does anyone have a weather radio?

Ok, I admit it, I am not smarter than a 5th grader so what is a CBS home????
I know what a CYV is but what is a CBS home?????

On the radio issue, we bought one right after the tornado and it is great to have. Got it at Radio Shack and it gives us warnings for the area including Sumter, Lake and Marion counties. We live in Sumter.

Now, don't forget, what is a CBS home????? :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
Old 04-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frangyomory
Now, don't forget, what is a CBS home????? :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
CBS Home= Cinder Block and Stucco Home
Old 04-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline
If its not a direct hit, from a personal perspective, I am more comfortable wth CBS be it a tornado or a more likely occurance a hurricane.
This far inland, a frame home will do fine. A hurricane bearing down on coastal areas will lose at least 1, maybe 2 categories of intensity after traveling the 65 miles inland necessary to hit The Villages - even from the optimum coastal landfall point at Homosassa due west of TV.

Here are the categories of hurricanes and the damage they do. Whatever hits the coast is likely to be 2 categories less intense when if there was a DIRECT hit on TV.

Category One Hurricane:
Winds 74-95 mph (64-82 kt or 119-153 km/hr). No real damage to building structures. Damage primarily to unanchored mobile homes, shrubbery, and trees. Some damage to poorly constructed signs.

Category Two Hurricane:
Winds 96-110 mph (83-95 kt or 154-177 km/hr). Some roofing material, door, and window damage of buildings. Considerable damage to shrubbery and trees with some trees blown down. Considerable damage to mobile homes, poorly constructed signs, and piers.

Category Three Hurricane:
Winds 111-130 mph (96-113 kt or 178-209 km/hr). Some structural damage to small residences and utility buildings with a minor amount of curtainwall failures. Damage to shrubbery and trees with foliage blown off trees and large trees blown down. Mobile homes and poorly constructed signs are destroyed.

Category Four Hurricane:
Winds 131-155 mph (114-135 kt or 210-249 km/hr). More extensive curtainwall failures with some complete roof structure failures on small residences. Shrubs, trees, and all signs are blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Extensive damage to doors and windows. Low-lying escape routes may be cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane.

Category Five Hurricane:
Winds greater than 155 mph (135 kt or 249 km/hr). Complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings. Some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away. All shrubs, trees, and signs blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Severe and extensive window and door damage.

So, these things have to happen to create a worst case danger to TV homes:
- Hit the coast within 50 miles of Homosassa
- Be a category 5
- Head due east toward TV

The odds of this are very slim and would result in a cat 3 or weak cat 4 worst case. The greatest damage from hurricanes comes from storm surge along immediate coastal areas. We certainly don't need to worry about that.

The bigger danger from hurricanes is the spin-off tornado event. These occur somewhat inland from the coast. Again, no home would be immune from this.

I live within a half mile from the Gulf coast in Destin Florida. I made sure I had hurricane shutters and I used them 3 times in the past 4 years. I feel no need for hurricane shutters in TV.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 04-20-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704
CBS Home= Cinder Block and Stucco Home
Minor point...I believe that CBS = Concrete Block and Stucco...I don't think they have made cinder block for quite some time....maybe a retired builder on TOTV can educate us...

John
Old 04-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Veteran member

I never understood the difference between "concrete block" and "cinder block". In south Florida 40 years ago they called concrete block "cinder block."
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 04-20-2008, 11:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Concrete block homes did fare better then frame homes in our tornado last year , however it was a very large storm which I'm told is rare in this area...Anyway lets hope so........
Weather radio's are definitely worth the money and everyone should have one ..........Here in Chatham , when it goes off we head for the basement...

Its dark down here.........fumar
Old 04-21-2008, 12:40 AM
Veteran member

Let's see, 100 tablespoons per day equal one shovelful, two shovelfuls equals a bucket full, 4 bucket fulls equals room for one leg...

I figure by 2025 I could make a nice basement storm shelter.* So, Fumar, you are suggesting that the third little piggy was right.

s/The Second Little Pig
Old 04-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Gold member

The stucco courtyard villas that they are building now are poured concrete walls with re bar. I have one and when we had it inspected the inspector refereed to it as a bomb shelter. Now I know its not a bomb shelter but he stated it was the strongest thing around.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Guy
The stucco courtyard villas that they are building now are poured concrete walls with re bar. I have one and when we had it inspected the inspector refereed to it as a bomb shelter. Now I know its not a bomb shelter but he stated it was the strongest thing around.
Indy guy....... can you please tell me where in TV are they building the stucco courtyard villas? And, might there be any "previously owned" ones for sale in TV, so I can do a search for them. Having survived "Hurricane Andrew" in Aug/92 I'll consider all my safety options when moving back to Florida. 8)

nonie ....... sorry if I veered from your radio topic, but it's kinda related to storm protection
Old 04-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Veteran member

As a snow bird I need help
Where is the nearest Radio Shack near TV ?
:dontknow: :dontknow:
Old 04-21-2008, 04:16 PM

On shopping plaza at corner of Hwy 441 and Rolling Acres. Near Starbucks.
For weather radios Publix is the best buy. They were bought in bulk and sponsor is WFTV.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Veteran member

We were told our court yard villa, built in 2005 was rock solid and we wouldn't have much to worry about in any storm.....I only worry about tornado storms myself. I feel very confident in this part of Florida and in our CYV which I guess is CBS or poured concrete!!!!
I know our homeowners insurance is less than some folks who don't have this type home.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.