Does every accountant here try to...

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Default Does every accountant here try to...

Sell you an annuity or some sort of security instrument?? Oh my goodness, we only wanted our taxes done, thats all. We hired someone who ran a nice ad in the paper only to have to listen to an hour of them talking about fees associated with our investments, etc...We only wanted our taxes done! Wow, I have never experienced this..Normal here in FL???
Old 03-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Default Hope this helps...

We tried Howard Heinecke, owner of Many Happy Returns (352) 347-6780 this year. He is an Enrolled Agent not an accountant but our taxes were simple, not complex. He came out to our home, ask some questions, took our information needed and prepared them for us. Did a great job. His rates are very inexpensive compared to what I have paid over the past several years. His website is ManyHappyReturns-Taxes provides affordable Income Tax and Accounting Services-Personal,Business and Trusts) You can see his rates on the website.
Good lucks!!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Default Thanks

Thank you VillageSitter, will use them next year...
Old 03-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

My husband is a CPA and will be here next year. Everyone loves him, he is on the second generation of his original clients. The older and younger love and trust him

Many CPA firms are now having an investment arm. It is a secondary and more lucrative way to bring in $$$$. It is not unusual. However if you want your taxes done just be clear you do not want to be hassled for investment discussions.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Veteran member

I have been using TurboTax for 6-7 years and found it very easy to use. They have different versions, depending on your personal situations with investments, etc. or if you run a business. The nice thing with these programs is that they save the previous year's information, and ask you if anything has changed.

TurboTax or other tax programs may be an option for you to consider next year.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Sage

I've heard that enrolled agents must pass a rigorous exam before the IRS, so I wouldn't hesitate to use one at all.

CPA's selling annuities? That could be bad for your (financial) health.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:27 AM
Default Agreed

Yes I agree...A financial tax advisor who also sets up your finances...hmmm..Not good. As far as Turbo Tax, yes I used it for years and am very familiar with it ,however, ours have become very complicated these last few so I plan to use an EA next year..Thanks all...
Old 03-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I agree. My husband has never done that! You will find it common in tax preparation companies as opposed to CPA firms
Old 03-23-2012, 07:43 PM

All sorts of financial service places are getting into the "Financial Advice" business. This includes the discount stock brokers like Schwab etc.. Lots of people out there are not sure what to do with their money so there is no shortage of people, whether they know anything or not, willing to "help" them for a fee. Please be careful!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Default accountant

may i ask who this was????
Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 PM

I use to work at H&R Block and one of the tax preparers there was an enrolled agent. She told me the eaxm is all inclusive of all IRS tax law and it is a very difficult exam. Anyone who passes it definitely knows tax rules/laws. I never got that far because I got tired of doing taxes for people who know how to work the system so I quit. I would definitely use an EA for tax preparations. Good luck!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:02 PM

Go to an AARP site. I do taxes for them in OH. We must be certified by the IRS every year. Can do 1099B stock exchanges. Almost everything except a business that carries an inventory and rental properties. They may qualify for rentals in FL as so many people rent out their homes. Very well qualified people and it is FREE.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:17 PM

AARP Been using them since 2004; never a problem!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.