Does TV have Too many deed restrictions.

Old 05-18-2024, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,666 Times in 1,524 Posts

Interesting that the newer the district, the stricter the deed restrictions. Interesting that the old districts with the least strict deed restrictions have absolutely NO/NO problem selling their homes for a satisfying profit. When I first arrived in The Villages, I looked at a village of court yard villas and immediately told the agent that there was no way in h3ll that I was interested in living in one of those. They were ALL/ALL gray and looked like base housing on a Navy installation. Let's face it, some districts have deed restrictions that go to the extreme. I enjoy driving through my village where every home is personalized with the home owners idea of what is pleasing to (their) the eye. I fail to see why it is anyone's obligation to please someone else, when it is the owner that is paying quite a sum to purchase in the Villages. I absolutely did NOT purchase in the Villages because of the deed restrictions. I purchased because the Villages has a multitude of things to do and "normally" very friendly residents. At least they were friendly when I purchased over a decade ago. I have no problem with my deed restrictions because they are minor guides that allow personalization without infringing on a residents creativity.
The question was related to the Villages having too many deed restrictions. Not where I live, but I wouldn't live further South in the Villages, if they gave me a new home at the same low price I originally paid for this one. I am an adult and do NOT need or want someone else making decisions for me. And I do not care if my neighbor does not like the color of my car or whether or not I wear a T shirt in the yard when I am landscaping. Don't worry, I wear a collared shirt when I play golf.
Old 05-18-2024, 03:01 PM

Read the 4 dead restrictions in post #58. Two of them violate the law and the other two are ridiculous. Check if your area has similar ones. I expect everyone in TV has violated at least one. Let us know if you have NOT violated any or would NOT have violated any if your area had then.

Old 05-18-2024, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Interesting that the newer the district, the stricter the deed restrictions. Interesting that the old districts with the least strict deed restrictions have absolutely NO/NO problem selling their homes for a satisfying profit. When I first arrived in The Villages, I looked at a village of court yard villas and immediately told the agent that there was no way in h3ll that I was interested in living in one of those. They were ALL/ALL gray and looked like base housing on a Navy installation. Let's face it, some districts have deed restrictions that go to the extreme. I enjoy driving through my village where every home is personalized with the home owners idea of what is pleasing to (their) the eye. I fail to see why it is anyone's obligation to please someone else, when it is the owner that is paying quite a sum to purchase in the Villages. I absolutely did NOT purchase in the Villages because of the deed restrictions. I purchased because the Villages has a multitude of things to do and "normally" very friendly residents. At least they were friendly when I purchased over a decade ago. I have no problem with my deed restrictions because they are minor guides that allow personalization without infringing on a residents creativity.
The question was related to the Villages having too many deed restrictions. Not where I live, but I wouldn't live further South in the Villages, if they gave me a new home at the same low price I originally paid for this one. I am an adult and do NOT need or want someone else making decisions for me. And I do not care if my neighbor does not like the color of my car or whether or not I wear a T shirt in the yard when I am landscaping. Don't worry, I wear a collared shirt when I play golf.
Which village has a restriction on car color and T shirt wearing?
Old 05-19-2024, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,362 Times in 4,353 Posts

Quote:
The reason for the "satisfying profit" is that they bought decades ago, when prices were much lower...

If you compare "square/ft prices" throughout TV, they are all pretty close (and yes, I know there are some crazy outliers...), unless you have a premium lot...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-19-2024, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVillages View Post
Read the 4 dead restrictions in post #58. Two of them violate the law and the other two are ridiculous.
Confusing for sure...but they kind of have a purpose.

These are commonly referred to as "zombie laws." They are put on the books knowing they are unenforceable (under today's laws) but they will return to life when/if a Court changes the law. "...prohibited within the Subdivision to the extent allowed by law" Is legalese for the zombie laws.

Think of the current abortion statues that were passed by states (even in recent years!) knowing they were unconstitutional at the time. Last year the SCOTUS reinterpreted the law--and then all those "zombie laws" (think Arizona's 1864 law) are reconstituted and are now immediately enforceable.

Clotheslines/satellite dishes/flag poles are all permitted by Florida law. A clothesline in Florida is considered a "solar collector" so an HOA cannot prohibit them--but if the state law in Florida changes and clotheslines (or satellite dishes or flagpoles) are no longer protected under the statute--the Village's provisions will kick in and clotheslines will be prohibited in the Villages. (FSS 163.04)

And--by placing the provision in our documents the community is allowed to place reasonable restrictions on their use. For instance, although they cannot "prohibit" clotheslines, a community could decide clotheslines cannot be placed in front yards. (FSS 163.04) "..such entity may determine the specific location where solar collectors may be installed..."

If our docs did not address clotheslines at all--anyone could install a clothesline beside their driveway because they are in no way prohibited.

It is not uncommon for HOA's to put these (unenforceable at the time of writing) provisions in the documents to preempt future changes in the statute.

They seem silly at the time for sure. It appears the developer or the author of the docs is out of touch but the lawyers that draft these documents are usually up on the current laws...
Old 05-20-2024, 06:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,770 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
The reason for the "satisfying profit" is that they bought decades ago, when prices were much lower...

If you compare "square/ft prices" throughout TV, they are all pretty close (and yes, I know there are some crazy outliers...), unless you have a premium lot...
All correct. Location location location determines price in real estate. There are reasons that the homes in the northern areas have less value. Lower prices will attract certain buyers. Not a mystery that the homes up there can sell.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgowan13 View Post
Confusing for sure...but they kind of have a purpose.

These are commonly referred to as "zombie laws." They are put on the books knowing they are unenforceable (under today's laws) but they will return to life when/if a Court changes the law. "...prohibited within the Subdivision to the extent allowed by law" Is legalese for the zombie laws.

Think of the current abortion statues that were passed by states (even in recent years!) knowing they were unconstitutional at the time. Last year the SCOTUS reinterpreted the law--and then all those "zombie laws" (think Arizona's 1864 law) are reconstituted and are now immediately enforceable.

Clotheslines/satellite dishes/flag poles are all permitted by Florida law. A clothesline in Florida is considered a "solar collector" so an HOA cannot prohibit them--but if the state law in Florida changes and clotheslines (or satellite dishes or flagpoles) are no longer protected under the statute--the Village's provisions will kick in and clotheslines will be prohibited in the Villages. (FSS 163.04)

And--by placing the provision in our documents the community is allowed to place reasonable restrictions on their use. For instance, although they cannot "prohibit" clotheslines, a community could decide clotheslines cannot be placed in front yards. (FSS 163.04) "..such entity may determine the specific location where solar collectors may be installed..."

If our docs did not address clotheslines at all--anyone could install a clothesline beside their driveway because they are in no way prohibited.

It is not uncommon for HOA's to put these (unenforceable at the time of writing) provisions in the documents to preempt future changes in the statute.

They seem silly at the time for sure. It appears the developer or the author of the docs is out of touch but the lawyers that draft these documents are usually up on the current laws...
Great post. It seems though that some of these districts bring a lot of unnecessary aggravation and stress to all with the draconian restrictions, also the money they waste in legal fees.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:58 AM
Default Too many restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Not enough restrictions, not strong enough enforcement.
The Community Watch does not enforce restrictions unless a complaint is made.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMil View Post
The Community Watch does not enforce restrictions unless a complaint is made.
Community watch has nothing to do with deed restrictions.
Old 05-20-2024, 12:14 PM
Default Does ARC have pre approved ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
The deed restrictions were one of the reasons I chose to buy in TV. All my enhancements have been approved by the ARC, and I have found that entity to be very friendly and helpful to deal with. I don’t understand people who buy here, and then complain about the deed restrictions that they agreed to abide by at the time of their closing. Some people just enjoy complaining - sad way to spend one’s retirement years.

If I simply want to do landscaping in my backyard, does the ARC provide any pre approved plans or do you have to submit for everything?

I guess I'm trying to pick the right plants/design instead of multiple submissions because I picked the wrong thing.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,666 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Which village has a restriction on car color and T shirt wearing?
I don't know, did someone say that there were deed restrictions on car color or T shirt wearing?
Old 05-21-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPRICE1234 View Post
If I simply want to do landscaping in my backyard, does the ARC provide any pre approved plans or do you have to submit for everything?

I guess I'm trying to pick the right plants/design instead of multiple submissions because I picked the wrong thing.
I've made several ARC applications, one for each project and its been pretty straight forward each time, the lady over Starbucks in LSL is very helpful to ensure you're doing it correctly. I don't think they have any preapproved plans. For the plant suggestions go to an established nursery and talk to the folks that have been there for a while, they wont steer you wrong.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know, did someone say that there were deed restrictions on car color or T shirt wearing?
Have a look...............................

Tags
restrictions, deed, save, moved, opinions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.