Does TV have Too many deed restrictions.

Old 05-14-2024, 11:04 AM
Default Restrictions would be OK if they were consistent throughout the community!

NO CONSISTENCY HERE! We can't even change the exterior color of our home (in a neighborhood of 110 gray homes)! Very few, if any, of the newer courtyard villa neighborhoods are all ONE color. There is a really nice color pallet to guide Villagers - but we don't even have THAT choice. In order to change that neighborhood rule, we need 80%+ owners' signatures to agree to allow change - a near impossibility! Does anyone know of another place in our country where 80% is needed to change anything???
Old 05-14-2024, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,074 Times in 1,775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneMigiano View Post
NO CONSISTENCY HERE! We can't even change the exterior color of our home (in a neighborhood of 110 gray homes)! Very few, if any, of the newer courtyard villa neighborhoods are all ONE color. There is a really nice color pallet to guide Villagers - but we don't even have THAT choice. In order to change that neighborhood rule, we need 80%+ owners' signatures to agree to allow change - a near impossibility! Does anyone know of another place in our country where 80% is needed to change anything???
Most places you can paint your door rainbow if you want no signatures required, so why would you buy here? It’s like going into a sporting store and expect to be buying groceries.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,794 Times in 1,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The courtyard villas have a deed restriction that prohibits homeowners from parking their vehicles in the visitor parking spaces. But, when I complained to the deed compliance office about a non-homeowner, a non-resident, and a non-visitor parked/stored a vehicle in a visitor space for almost a year, the answer I got was that he was not violating the deed restriction because he was not a homeowner. Go figure.
Free RV storage?
Old 05-14-2024, 11:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Most places you can paint your door rainbow if you want no signatures required, so why would you buy here? It’s like going into a sporting store and expect to be buying groceries.
While I agree, I think a more accurate analogy might be going into a shoe store expecting to to find shoes in more than one color.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Deed restrictions are good, they keep the place from looking like a circus. Can't believe the junk people put on their lawns.
I can't believe the stuff people put on my lawn! 🤬
Old 05-14-2024, 12:23 PM

If someone answers there are many then they are not aware of what they are and how they regulate them. They do t unless some turns you in? Crazy huh like my friend who asked if she needed Peyton remove a tree. No she didn’t to remove it but will need permission to replant one 😳
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
Deed restrictions are necessary so TV doesn't turn into a flop house but in your opinion do they take it a little TOO far and TOO restrictive.

Sometimes I feel like I'm renting opposed to being a homeowner in TV with not being able to put any small personal touches to my home.

I realize if I don't like it I can move or I should've not moved here if I didn't like the restrictions so I will save those opinions from a couple of key strokes.

I do talk to a lot of folks in nearby retirement communities and when I ask them why they didn't buy in TV they all have the same answer, "too many deed restrictions"

Thoughts?
Old 05-14-2024, 12:55 PM
Sage

We appreciate the deed restrictions for help keep our neighborhoods neat and well maintained. That said, TV isn't perfect. There are homes that were built and sold, so I have read here, that were out of compliance when they were originally purchased. There are homes that have been out of compliance for years, even having gone through more than one owner. Many of these should be, imo, grandfathered unless they pose a hazard or violate lot boundaries since, thus far, there have been no complaints.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Deed restrictions are necessary so TV doesn't turn into a flop house but in your opinion do they take it a little TOO far and TOO restrictive.

Sometimes I feel like I'm renting opposed to being a homeowner in TV with not being able to put any small personal touches to my home.

I realize if I don't like it I can move or I should've not moved here if I didn't like the restrictions so I will save those opinions from a couple of key strokes.

I do talk to a lot of folks in nearby retirement communities and when I ask them why they didn't buy in TV they all have the same answer, "too many deed restrictions"

Thoughts?

I don't know if there are too many restrictions but there is at least one bad one. I was at the ARC review for my landscape application and listened to them cover several re-roofing applications. Not the exact same shingle as the original - denied with no discussion. Original color not available and not the closest possible shade to the original - denied no discussion. The fact that you can't change your shingle color to any from an approved palette is ridiculous. People's comments about it turning into a ghetto if the exact same shingle not reapplied make as much sense as comments on so many other areas. And sorry, I had a lot more important things going on during the tumultuous purchase to study the deeds and find out I could never change the color of my roof. And no one in their right mind would make such a rule or expect such a rule.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersprings View Post
I don't know if there are too many restrictions but there is at least one bad one. I was at the ARC review for my landscape application and listened to them cover several re-roofing applications. Not the exact same shingle as the original - denied with no discussion. Original color not available and not the closest possible shade to the original - denied no discussion. The fact that you can't change your shingle color to any from an approved palette is ridiculous. People's comments about it turning into a ghetto if the exact same shingle not reapplied make as much sense as comments on so many other areas. And sorry, I had a lot more important things going on during the tumultuous purchase to study the deeds and find out I could never change the color of my roof. And no one in their right mind would make such a rule or expect such a rule.
I must agree that sometimes a restriction may seem strict beyond reason. There should always be a chance for discussion. "Must be the same shingle" is like saying the sprinkler heads must be the same color/type. What happens when a shingle mfg decides to discontinue that "exact" shingle? Or house paint color is discontinued? Do the rules still apply? Do the new tiles have to match the color of the old faded ones, or can they look new?
Of course, the otherside is, if you grant even one request for a change, however minor or insignificant it may seem, you have set a precedent. The dam has been breached.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersprings View Post
I don't know if there are too many restrictions but there is at least one bad one. I was at the ARC review for my landscape application and listened to them cover several re-roofing applications. Not the exact same shingle as the original - denied with no discussion. Original color not available and not the closest possible shade to the original - denied no discussion. --------- .
But, you may slap a solar water heater or electrical grid contraption on your roof wherever and more or less however you wish with no consideration for materials, color, harmonious alignment or size in relation to the roof area on which it is being applied to, and who cares about the ugly piping and wiring conduits running all over and down the roof and along the eves --- NO problem at all for the ARC to approve. Who cares that the neighbors have to look at that mess every day.
Old 05-14-2024, 04:50 PM

No, TV does not have too many deed restrictions. I looked at them before I bought and thought them to be reasonable.
-Tom Robbins
Old 05-14-2024, 09:01 PM
Veteran member

Quick answer is NO they do not
take it too far.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Deed restrictions are necessary so TV doesn't turn into a flop house but in your opinion do they take it a little TOO far and TOO restrictive. ... Thoughts?
I agree.
Some Deed Restrictions are BOGUS !!!
I understand the need for deed restrictions and most are common sense. However a few are misleading, ridiculous, or a violation of the law.

"Aerials, satellite reception dishes, and antennas of ony kind are prohibited within the Subdivision to the extent allowed by law. The location of any approved device will be previously approved by the Developer in writing."
Both missleading & false: Federal law prohibit deed restrictions from prohibiting nor requiring pre-approval for antennas receiving OTA television singles.

"All Owners shall notify the Developer when leaving their propeny for more than a 7-day pcriod and shall simultaneously advise the Developer as to their intended return dale."
Does anyone actually follow this restrictions? Let us know if you do.

"Birds, fish, dogs and cats shall be permitted, with a maximum of two (2) pets per Lot."
Does this mean if we have two goldfish, we cannot have a dog or cat?

"The hanging of clothes or clothes lines or poles is prohibi!cd to the extent allowed by law."
Misleading. This restriction is a violation of Florida law

"No Lot may be used as ingress and egress to any other property or tum inlo a road by anyone other than the Developer."
An excellent, common sense restriction.

Last edited by MikeVillages; 06-01-2024 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-15-2024, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,214 Times in 1,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneMigiano View Post
Did you like the look of all grey homes before you purchased in your neighborhood? Just wondering.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
But, you may slap a solar water heater or electrical grid contraption on your roof wherever and more or less however you wish with no consideration for materials, color, harmonious alignment or size in relation to the roof area on which it is being applied to, and who cares about the ugly piping and wiring conduits running all over and down the roof and along the eves --- NO problem at all for the ARC to approve. Who cares that the neighbors have to look at that mess every day.
Unless you are a roofer, or have a leak, who looks at roofs?

Tags
restrictions, deed, save, moved, opinions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.