Comcast question

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2022, 03:56 PM
Veteran member
Default Comcast question

How do u get discovery plus on Comcast? Is it free?
Old 07-17-2022, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,382 Times in 2,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
As far as I know the only free streaming service on Comcast is Peacock, all others are subscription based, and I believe you need to deal with the individual streaming providers.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:18 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Amazon had it for 99 cents for 2 months
Old 07-17-2022, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,962 Times in 5,351 Posts

Discovery Plus isn't free. It is $4.99 per month. But, it looks like the streaming app is available through the Xfinity cable TV service, and you can probably subscribe to it using the Xfinity cable service and pay the $4.99 monthly subscription fee on your Xfinity bill. I pay my Netflix subscription on my Xfinity bill. It is very convenient and I don't need to use the Netflix autopay system. Xfinity pipes in many streaming apps directly through their cable, so you don't even need to have a separate internet service to access those apps if you have the Xfinity cable TV service. Just press the Xfinity button on the remote and click on "apps" to see which apps are available. If you click on Discovery Plus, you can subscribe to the app subscription service.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
As far as I know the only free streaming service on Comcast is Peacock, all others are subscription based, and I believe you need to deal with the individual streaming providers.
Not exactly. Comcast/Xfinity provides access to many free streaming services through their cable TV service. Just a few examples are Tubi, Pluto, Freevee, and YouTube. These apps are delivered directly to your cable box through the Xfinity cable. They also deliver several apps that you need to pay a monthly subscription fee for, but Xfinity will act as a middleman to collect the monthly fee via your Xfinity bill. It is very convenient because you can pay all of the app subscription fees on your Xfinity bill.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Discovery Plus isn't free. It is $4.99 per month. But, it looks like the streaming app is available through the Xfinity cable TV service, and you can probably subscribe to it using the Xfinity cable service and pay the $4.99 monthly subscription fee on your Xfinity bill. I pay my Netflix subscription on my Xfinity bill. It is very convenient and I don't need to use the Netflix autopay system. Xfinity pipes in many streaming apps directly through their cable, so you don't even need to have a separate internet service to access those apps if you have the Xfinity cable TV service. Just press the Xfinity button on the remote and click on "apps" to see which apps are available. If you click on Discovery Plus, you can subscribe to the app subscription service.
Thank u. I know nothing about streaming. Will try peacock 🦚
Old 07-17-2022, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,428 Posts

With XFinity the flex box is needed.
I get Discovery+ thru the Amazon prime App.

discovery+ App on X1 and Flex Overview and FAQs - Xfinity Support
Old 07-17-2022, 04:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post

I'm confused. I have Amazon Prime and Xfinity cable TV service. I can access the Discovery Plus app on Prime, but watching most of the content requires a subscription to the Discovery Plus app for $4.99 per month. I can also access the Discovery Plus app using my Xfinity cable TV service, but watching most of the content still requires a subscription fee. I don't have an Xfinity flex box. Are you saying that I should be getting a free Discovery Plus subscription because I have Amazon Prime?
Old 07-17-2022, 05:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,692 Times in 3,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post

I think there's some confusion between xfinity cable and xfinity internet.

They are two different types of products. With xfinity internet, you get only internet service. Like, for your laptop computer. That's wifi service. Xfinity customers are ALSO given a flex TV stick that can give them some free TV services, and allow them to pay for certain premium services as well.

Xfinity cable is TV service, which is not wifi, it's not internet service at all.

There's also xfinity mobile, which is cellular service, aka the "data" you use on your cell phone.

They offer various bundles, packages of channels for cable, speeds for wifi, and who the heck knows what for mobile, but you can also get any of the three of them, without either of the other two (or bundle just two).
Old 07-17-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I'm confused. I have Amazon Prime and Xfinity cable TV service. I can access the Discovery Plus app on Prime, but watching most of the content requires a subscription to the Discovery Plus app for $4.99 per month. I can also access the Discovery Plus app using my Xfinity cable TV service, but watching most of the content still requires a subscription fee. I don't have an Xfinity flex box. Are you saying that I should be getting a free Discovery Plus subscription because I have Amazon Prime?
No. Amazon Prime through their Firestick, or their app may be on your smartTV, or included with Xfinity. This gives you Amazon Prime content similar to Netflix. Many of the apps on Amazon’s Firestick as with Apps on Infinity require a subscription to view their content.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
In all cases I believe a subscription to D+ is needed.
That’s all from me folks.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I think there's some confusion between xfinity cable and xfinity internet.

They are two different types of products. With xfinity internet, you get only internet service. Like, for your laptop computer. That's wifi service. Xfinity customers are ALSO given a flex TV stick that can give them some free TV services, and allow them to pay for certain premium services as well.

Xfinity cable is TV service, which is not wifi, it's not internet service at all.

There's also xfinity mobile, which is cellular service, aka the "data" you use on your cell phone.

They offer various bundles, packages of channels for cable, speeds for wifi, and who the heck knows what for mobile, but you can also get any of the three of them, without either of the other two (or bundle just two).
To clarify your comment about the Xfinity cable TV service. Yes, it is a cable TV service. But, part of the service provides access to many internet based streaming apps that you can use, even if you have no separate internet service at all. The apps are delivered to your cable box through the Xfinity COAX cable. So, for example, if you have a subscription to Netflix, you can click on the Netflix app on a TV that is connected to an Xfinity cable box and watch Netflix content on your TV without paying for an internet service at all. It is delivered to you using the Xfinity COAX TV cable. You don't need a modem, a router, or wifi because the app's internet access is delivered through the cable TV service. At least that is the way I understand it works.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,362 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
Rather than get advice from TOTV, for an accurate answer, I recommend calling Comcast - which has been renamed Xfinity. The number is 1-800-XFINITY.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Rather than get advice from TOTV, for an accurate answer, I recommend calling Comcast - which has been renamed Xfinity. The number is 1-800-XFINITY.
Good luck with that.

Comcast was not renamed Xfinity. Comcast is the parent company, and Xfinity is Comcast’s brand name for their TV, internet, and home phone services.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,038 Times in 2,526 Posts

When I had Comcast it came in package. When my packages without Pay channels (HBO ect…)was 250 Plus month I dumped Comcast. IMO the best deal (which I don’t have) basic internet service, Roku, and antenna for local channels. I got 300 channels but only watch maybe 15…
Closed Thread

Tags
comcast, question, discovery, free

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.