dog issues?

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Default dog issues?

I was walking my terrier, Gus, today on Bailey Trail. He stopped to sniff at a telephone pole, and the guy who owns the house abutting the street opened his lanai door and yelled at me, "Would you move the dog along?" And then slammed his door shut before I could respond. The dog was just sniffing, maybe was going to mark the pole, but he wasn't doing anything else if you know what I mean. And I had bags to pick anything up, which were in my hand. So I guess my question is what am I supposed to do, does the guy's property go all the way to the sidewalk? Are we supposed to curb the dogs?

That fellow's going to have a heart attack if he's that uptight about a dog on the edge of the sidewalk and the lawn. Gus wasn't even fully on the lawn... and I suspect he was so interested in that place because many many other dogs have been too. Maybe he'll be like the troll under the bridge when people with dogs go by!

Then I was walking home after going to the mailbox, where I deposited one of Gus's well wrapped and knotted used bags. I ran into two neighbors and told them about the man in the lanai, and one of them said "did he see your bags? and where are they?" I told her I put the one in the trashcan at the pool. She said I can't do that. Is this a rule?

I think I'll stay inside now for the rest of the day, even though it's beautiful out. Not a great walk.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Platinum member
Default Prime Reason We Need A Dog Park Near 466A

Sorry about the property owner. In my experience I try to make sure my dog does his business in a common area but I dispose of all bags at my home. I have a 3 gallon container with a foot pedal lid opener that I have neatly hidden on the side of the house behind a shrub out of sight. I haven't searched the rules about disposal of waste bags and feel no need to as long as I dispose of them at my home. You'll see many vigorous discussions about pets in this forum. Maybe the property owner is worried about the 1 green spot that your dog can make in his yard. It's best to avoid him. This is just a prime example why we need a dog park in the south end of TV near 466A.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Veteran member

F16 where do you empty the 3 gallon container? I wish someone would invent a flushable bag, some sort of biodegradable paper.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
F16 where do you empty the 3 gallon container? I wish someone would invent a flushable bag, some sort of biodegradable paper.
We use a small bucket and scoop we bought at the Dollar store and flush the waste down the toilet. Works great for us. Years of pooper scooping experience and I prefer this method for TV. I love the idea of a biodegradable bag!

We do curb our girls, we want to be considerate neighbors.

Last edited by Halle; 02-20-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarFred View Post
Then I was walking home after going to the mailbox, where I deposited one of Gus's well wrapped and knotted used bags.I told her I put the one in the trashcan at the pool. She said I can't do that. Is this a rule?
I the answer is YES. You take your dog's stuff home and put in it your own garbage can. Why do you think anyone wants to smell your dog's poop? I do not care how well it is sealed. It will smell when the weather gets warm. For seven years I carted Bart's poop home. And he was a shepherd. You can do it also.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
This might work.

http://uniquedistributors.com/doggiedooley1.html
Old 02-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Default dog issues

I get the dog poop, not a problem. I too have a metal container in my yard and do deposit 98 percent of his poop there. Seems like everyone is focusing on the depositing of the dog poop. Fine.

However, when I am walking my dog on a main street and he is sniffing the lawn on the main street, Bailey Trail, I think it's not too cool to be yelling at me to move my dog along. But I realize there are people who like dogs, and people who do not like dogs. And I am a responsible dog owner. I never leave anything behind, and make sure he's on a leash.

When we first moved here when we'd leave he'd bark. A neighbor told me he was barking. We took him with us when we'd leave for 2 months until he was acclimated to the new house and wouldn't bark when we left. So I'm feeling a little defensive with some of your responses.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarFred View Post
I get the dog poop, not a problem. I too have a metal container in my yard and do deposit 98 percent of his poop there. Seems like everyone is focusing on the depositing of the dog poop. Fine.

However, when I am walking my dog on a main street and he is sniffing the lawn on the main street, Bailey Trail, I think it's not too cool to be yelling at me to move my dog along. But I realize there are people who like dogs, and people who do not like dogs. And I am a responsible dog owner. I never leave anything behind, and make sure he's on a leash.

When we first moved here when we'd leave he'd bark. A neighbor told me he was barking. We took him with us when we'd leave for 2 months until he was acclimated to the new house and wouldn't bark when we left. So I'm feeling a little defensive with some of your responses.
Doggies are so much fun to have, but being responsible for their well being and care is a job.

Leaving their well bagged fecal matter in any waste container around here isn't a good idea because of the heat, as others have stated.

We moved here with our older dog who passed a few years ago and she used only our yard to do her business. She was very feeble so taking her for a walk was out of the question. I do understand why that man who yelled might have been upset....even though the land might not be his, he is responsible for the care of the lawn. I have a couple of neighbors who walk their pooches through the neighborhood and every once in a while, one of the doggies does wet on our grass. Problem is, once one marks, then another dog will do the same and pretty soon, you've got an area of dead grass.

I'm sorry you were yelled at. Some people are just grouchy. Maybe this person has been having problems with other dogs and you just happened to arrive at the wrong time.

Last edited by pooh; 02-20-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Doggies are so much fun to have, but being responsible for their well being and care is a job.

Leaving their well bagged fecal matter in any waste container around here isn't a good idea because of the heat, as others have stated.

We moved here with our older dog who passed a few years ago and she used only our yard to do her business. She was very feeble so taking her for a walk was out of the question. I do understand why that man who yelled might have been upset....even though the land might not be his, he is responsible for the care of the lawn. I have a couple of neighbors who walk their pooches through the neighborhood and every once in a while, one of the doggies does wet on our grass. Problem is, once one marks, then another dog will do the same and pretty soon, you've got an area of dead grass.

I'm sorry you were yelled at. Some people are just grouchy. Maybe this person has been having problems with other dogs and you just happened to arrive at the wrong time.
There is usually a utility easment along the edge of the property. The homeowner still owns the property up to the road. The easment gives the utility companies right of access along the easment. It does not transfer ownership of the property to the utility companies.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
The 3 gal container has a trash bag liner. The poop bags, whether they are your everyday grocery store type or the rolls of bags that are sold at pet stores, are tied off and thrown in the 3 gal container and emptied twice weekly.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:52 PM
Gold member

WOW, we have dog pee nazis. Who'da thunk?

Maybe there are too many old people here.

Yoda.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16 1UB View Post

This is just a prime example why we need a dog park in the south end of TV near 466A.
Let me climb on my dog park soapbox. We absolutely need a dog park south of 466! I understand that the new Springdale Dog Park in the north/east corner of TV is extremely busy.

Two dogs are allowed per household. That can be a heck of a lot of dogs in each Village. If facilities aren't provided for walking the dogs, difficult situations are bound to occur.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Let me climb on my dog park soapbox. We absolutely need a dog park south of 466! I understand that the new Springdale Dog Park in the north/east corner of TV is extremely busy.

Two dogs are allowed per household. That can be a heck of a lot of dogs in each Village. If facilities aren't provided for walking the dogs, difficult situations are bound to occur.
Does this mean every time your dog has the urge, you are going to pack him off the dog park?
Old 02-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Banned
Default Here's a thought

Walk your dog in your own yard untill it does it's business. Then walk on the streets for exercise.

I understand the so called groughy man. I have a corner lot and it's amazing how many dog owners treat it like a public dog toilet. We don't suffer from green spots but brown/yellow. One pee spot attracts the next and then the next you see what I mean. I truely love dogs I have had a dog in my house since a young boy...It's the dog owners that are so difficult to train.

Ive always said bark collars should be fitted to the owner not the dog LOL.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:44 PM

Fences, Please!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.