dog issues?

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petenj View Post
FYI - You could buy a disposal container that gets burried in your yard. You put wastes into it and enzymes that are provided will decompose the wastes. These units come in various sizes, and are very discreet, with a lid which is flush with the ground. No odors, no unsightly mess.
Great idea but be careful before you dig to put one of these in the ground. We have underground electric, gas, cable, water, irrigation water, sprinkler systems, and phone lines.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoshow View Post
When your dog does his duty in a certain spot,he and all other dogs will continue to use that same spot and ruin his property(grass).
I am a dog lover,but my question to you would be,why not let your dog do his business on your own lawn, and then take him for a walk.I have a neighbor who does exactly that,and I think that is great
Old 02-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Gold member

eremite06.....Good point.Star and I go out to our back yard and she does her business there. Then we go around the neighborhood for a walk. I always carry an extra bag....you will find them in all my jacket pockets......just in case she makes an extra stop. She seldom does. I believe that is the polite way to have a dog visit the neighbors.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Smile

I have been reading TOTV for a few years now. We really love it and want to move there. I do have to say, posts like this one did tend to make me think twice. But after a few years, I have learned that it seems that people in The Villages hate dogs - but from little I have seen it is not true. Just a few sprinkled in here and there and I do notice quite a few dogs in the area when we have visited.

My mom is 80 years old. She adopted a sweet dog who was 10 at the time. Mom never had a dog before, and he is the thing that keeps her going. The dog is now 12, and mom tries to take him for very short walks. I don't care how long the dog has been in the yard, when he goes for a walk he wants to mark his area. As they say it is hard to teach a old dog new tricks and mom has a hard enough time remembering what she ate for dinner, let alone try to train a dog to piddle in a designated area.

Mom lives in a corner house with a stop sign, fire hydrant and trees. Almost every house in the neighborhood has a dog and they always stop to visit those wonderful doggie places. Her house looks just fine, and the lawn is green as are others in the neighborhood. If a brown spot is here or there, I doubt anyone would even notice.

The point is the neighbors don't scream at her when the dog marks a pole or tree. She has a bad heart, and it is the only exercise she gets. I can just imagine how the person who started the post must have felt when they were told to move on. Trust me, if someone yelled at my mom I would be very angry. She would be so embarrased and I am sure she would never walk her dog again.

Life is too short, and we should be enjoying the smell of the flowers, fresh cut grass, fresh baked bread....you get the picture. I know I will be beat up by this post, and I don't mind. I still have my mom around to enjoy, and her little dog too. And if her grass is brown because of other dogs who visit......well... I just have too much to be thankful for to worry about it....
Old 02-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oot View Post
I have been reading TOTV for a few years now. We really love it and want to move there. I do have to say, posts like this one did tend to make me think twice. But after a few years, I have learned that it seems that people in The Villages hate dogs - but from little I have seen it is not true. Just a few sprinkled in here and there and I do notice quite a few dogs in the area when we have visited.

My mom is 80 years old. She adopted a sweet dog who was 10 at the time. Mom never had a dog before, and he is the thing that keeps her going. The dog is now 12, and mom tries to take him for very short walks. I don't care how long the dog has been in the yard, when he goes for a walk he wants to mark his area. As they say it is hard to teach a old dog new tricks and mom has a hard enough time remembering what she ate for dinner, let alone try to train a dog to piddle in a designated area.

Mom lives in a corner house with a stop sign, fire hydrant and trees. Almost every house in the neighborhood has a dog and they always stop to visit those wonderful doggie places. Her house looks just fine, and the lawn is green as are others in the neighborhood. If a brown spot is here or there, I doubt anyone would even notice.

The point is the neighbors don't scream at her when the dog marks a pole or tree. She has a bad heart, and it is the only exercise she gets. I can just imagine how the person who started the post must have felt when they were told to move on. Trust me, if someone yelled at my mom I would be very angry. She would be so embarrased and I am sure she would never walk her dog again.

Life is too short, and we should be enjoying the smell of the flowers, fresh cut grass, fresh baked bread....you get the picture. I know I will be beat up by this post, and I don't mind. I still have my mom around to enjoy, and her little dog too. And if her grass is brown because of other dogs who visit......well... I just have too much to be thankful for to worry about it....
Nicely stated.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Default dog issues

Interesting responses. I see the light about the pool mailbox trashcans. I haven't been here when it's hot and don't plan to be, at least for awhile, and will NEVER EVER deposit my bag in there again.

My question about the grouchy dude who yelled at me because my dog was sniffing around the box in his BACK yard, not his front yard, the yard backs up the very public Bailey Trail. I was just wondering if he owns the lawn right up to the sidewalk?

But the point is moot. I am now driving my dog to a community park in Wildwood, walking him to mine and his heart's content, all the while carrying my poop bags and picking up his poop.

He's loving the freedom, the grass and paths and so am I.

Thank you all for your feedback!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarFred View Post
Interesting responses. I see the light about the pool mailbox trashcans. I haven't been here when it's hot and don't plan to be, at least for awhile, and will NEVER EVER deposit my bag in there again.

My question about the grouchy dude who yelled at me because my dog was sniffing around the box in his BACK yard, not his front yard, the yard backs up the very public Bailey Trail. I was just wondering if he owns the lawn right up to the sidewalk?

But the point is moot. I am now driving my dog to a community park in Wildwood, walking him to mine and his heart's content, all the while carrying my poop bags and picking up his poop.

He's loving the freedom, the grass and paths and so am I.

Thank you all for your feedback!
Yes, he does own the lawn right up to the sidewalk. There is an easment, which does not transfer the ownership of his property. It does give right of access to utility companies.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Veteran member

I feel sorry for people who worry they might get a brown spot in their yard.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoe View Post
I feel sorry for people who worry they might get a brown spot in their yard.
How about dog poop on there shoes??
Old 02-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
How about dog poop on there shoes??
Very unpleasant, but not the end of the earth. We have all been through far worse than that I would guess, after the required five and one half decades to live here.

It is a great forum. We listen and we talk and we learn and we grow.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:24 PM

I am not a dog hater. We had many dogs while I was growing up in Maine. I don't have a dog now because I don't want to clean up after them and they can restrict traveling. If I did own a dog I would not allow any type of business to be done on anybodys property but my own. I am one of those people who don't want dogs using my lawn. That shouldn't make me a dog hater. Is there a polite way to tell a dog owner to not use your lawn.If there is then what is it ?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Veteran member

Bogie Shooter: Were you trying to miss my point?
Yes, I do feel sorry for them if someone fails to pick up the mess left. They should pick it up. They should try to make sure their dog does its business at home before they go for the walk.
Are you one of the people I was talking about? If so, I feel sorry for you.
The Villages.. Florida's friendliest hometown.. I swear I have read that many times on this website.
Is it??
I dont like your noisy golf cart. I dont like your wind chimes. I dont like the smoke from your grill. I dont like your tv noise. I dont like your stereo noise. I dont like when you put out your garbage. I dont like your arguing. I dont like you working on your car and cart. Your grass is too long. Your lawn products are blowing on my lawn. I dont like you looking in my lanai. I dont like the noise your grandkids make. I dont like you.
Is this really Florida's friendliest hometown? I think so and I think everyone should try to keep it that way.

Last edited by JimJoe; 02-24-2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: I forgot to click quote so I want this in response to Bogie
Old 02-24-2010, 05:39 PM

We all live pretty close to one another. What we are talking about here is being considerate of your neighbors. I don't think it's too much to ask.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Default dog issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannej View Post
We all live pretty close to one another. What we are talking about here is being considerate of your neighbors. I don't think it's too much to ask.
It seems like everyone's idea of considerate is different? For example, I thought I was being considerate by keeping my dog behind the utility barrier on the back lawn of the guy on Bailey trail who yelled at me to move along. He didn't think I was.

Maybe it's because it's February and it's really crowded here. Tensions rise when people are crowded. Maybe that guy had seen 15 dogs pee in the same place. It would've been nice if he'd told me that or just said, "do you mind moving along with your dog?" instead of yelling at me and slamming his door.

We do come down here expecting all to be hearts and flowers and that's just not how life is, is it, everyone? We all have enough life under our belts to know that, but when it happens to you (me) it frankly hurt my feelings (big baby) and made me feel weird about walking my dog anywhere. It isn't dog friendly here in terms of turf and area and I wouldn't advise bringing a big dog here unless you can take him/her to a dog park, which is the segue into....

I agree! We need a dog park south of 466. There are sooooo many dogs here. I know there are petitions. How can we do this?

Peace and love,

Sarah (Fred)
Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Very unpleasant, but not the end of the earth. We have all been through far worse than that I would guess, after the required five and one half decades to live here.

It is a great forum. We listen and we talk and we learn and we grow.
Well said. Indeed, we've all been through worse. Thanks for making us think.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.