Dog Owners - Help me understand

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2017, 08:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I would say you are recommending a behavior change to the wrong party.
I would have to agree.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:42 PM

I agree with those who have stated that such behavior is not a dog owner trait. Plain and simple - it is a trait of rude people. Sadly, some people will not move an inch to share the sidewalk, whether they have a dog leash in their hand or not.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2 View Post
I agree with those who have stated that such behavior is not a dog owner trait. Plain and simple - it is a trait of rude people. Sadly, some people will not move an inch to share the sidewalk, whether they have a dog leash in their hand or not.
And it seems that as of late there are more thoughtless and entitled people everywhere. WHY?
Old 09-17-2017, 03:50 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by poromo View Post
While walking on the side walk, there are times when some dog owners who are approaching me walk on one side of the sidewalk with the dog on the other side. The leash is draped across the sidewalk. As I approach them, some dog owners do not change their position which requires me to either step into the street or step over the dog and/or leash.
For the dog owners out there, has this happened to you and if yes, how did you treat the oncoming pedestrian?
Please help me understand how a dog owners can be oblivious to oncoming pedestrian traffic.
Essentially, you ask why? Its the same reason some people walk in a golf cart diamond lane when a sidewalk is right adjacent to the diamond lane. They do it because a) they feel entitled b) they are thoughtless
c) or because their dog comes before people.

You know the type they talk to their dog in the manner tone and way a parent speaks to a new born baby...oh poor baby needs to go potty" (an actual quote at SAM's Club parking lot)

Some dog owner let their dogs off their leash and let them roam free. I believe this is a natural instinct and it is healthy one for their dog. But its one reason why people who chose to live in The villages ought to reconsider owning a dog.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:27 AM
Sage

Not to hi-jack the OP but folks also do this in stores with their shopping cart. If a person is walking and someone is approaching do you just keep going straight ahead or do you have to step out of the way? For instance noone else is in the aisle then they come into the aisle in front of you but don't go around? I've also encountered this just in walking in stores. It's like it's purposeful and if you haven't noticed, do so some time. It's just a question and not something to start a negative exchange. As for the dogs on a leash I've observed that too. Why do folks have those kind that extend when they're walking on the squares? VERY dangerous!! I can see it for just the plain walks folks do but not when there are other pedestrians.

Last edited by NotGolfer; 09-17-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:36 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

They are on the other side of the walk so that they can pretend they don't see their dog pooping and therefore feel that they don't have to pick it up. Keep walking and let them figure out what to do when you start dragging the leash, they might, and I do say might, learn a lesson from it. Oh, and if you were to accidentally fall because of it, I believe there are attorneys who advertise here. When I walk my dog he is on the same side as me and if someone is approaching I hold a very short leash just in case as he does like to jump on people and lick their faces.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:09 AM
Gold member
Default Sadly we/i tend to notice the........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post

Some people are idiots. Don't blame it on the dogs.

Properly trained dogs should walk at "heel" to the left of the handler.

I agree that you should simply hold your ground when you encounter a dog walker that is improperly taking up the entire sidewalk. At some point the offender must realize that it is not your obligation to step out of the way. A person with some integrity would be embarrassed at offending you.

Don't count on that.
I like dogs BUT, i do not have one because I could not be a
RESPONSIBLE owner.

By the same MOST of the dog owners are responsible MOST of the time.

The other day a guy with his white miniature poodle allowed it to take a dump at the brownwood farmers market. HE LEFT IT THERE. What should he have done?
Pick it up and then handle food that someone else would purchase?

Surely, I will get all kinds of SCREAMING replies BUT, dogs do not belong there.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
I like dogs BUT, i do not have one because I could not be a RESPONSIBLE owner.
By the same MOST of the dog owners are responsible MOST of the time. The other day a guy with his white miniature poodle allowed it to take a dump at the brownwood farmers market. HE LEFT IT THERE. What should he have done?
Pick it up and then handle food that someone else would purchase? Surely, I will get all kinds of SCREAMING replies BUT, dogs do not belong there.
No screaming response from me, and no capitals.
If you mean at the Farmers Market, I agree it's not a good place to take dogs.
However I'd hate to see The Villages without dogs, and the majority of residents like them.
(I base that on the fact that when we take our dogs downtown, people line up to pat them.)
There are dog parks where dogs can play, socialize and run off leash.
Some Villagers take their dogs to Bark Central in Inverness where they can swim.
Most dog owners in The Villages are respectful and responsible.

Last edited by Barefoot; 09-17-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:52 AM
Gold member
Default While i agree re:dogs re: Broken hips

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilorilori View Post
Awful Dog owner behavior. The dog does not know or understand
but an owner, especially in TV SHOULD KNOW BETTER. Think of
the poor SENIOR who trips and breaks his/her hip. If it were me,
there, I would speak up - about breaking ones hip.
Not fun for a senior.
Re: falling and breaking a hip
In many cases the question is which came first. Often the person breaks their hip and falls. Yes, it sounds surprising.
Ask your doctor or someone you trust WHO KNOWS.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Just stop walking, stand there, and let them get out of your way.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
I like dogs BUT, i do not have one because I could not be a
RESPONSIBLE owner.

By the same MOST of the dog owners are responsible MOST of the time.

The other day a guy with his white miniature poodle allowed it to take a dump at the brownwood farmers market. HE LEFT IT THERE. What should he have done?
Pick it up and then handle food that someone else would purchase?

Surely, I will get all kinds of SCREAMING replies BUT, dogs do not belong there.
I try not to bring my dog to crowded places. She's a great dog, but there are too many distractions. And some people are frightened when near a dog.

I hope not to hurt my arm patting myself on the back, but the "blue roll" is in my pocket and I use it--despite the embarrassment of carrying it.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
This is not a dog owner trait that I know of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO Trait of an idiot
Old 09-17-2017, 02:04 PM
Veteran member

I have two small dogs, and when a pedestrian is coming my way, I will move onto the street if it is clear and safe to do so until they pass. If it is not safe, then I keep the dogs on the opposite side of me as the pedestrian walks by. Please note that there are walkers who are quite rude, walking side by side and taking up the entire sidewalk as they gab away. When I am walking by myself, I refuse to entitle them to the whole sidewalk, so I will come to a complete stop and force them to move out of the way, or my stride becomes more purposeful and by body language, they can tell I am not planning to step out into the road to accommodate them-they always seem to get the message.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:59 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

For the most part, lots of friendly spoiled pets in The Villages and a few "trained" dogs. Just my observation.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:53 PM
Default dogs

I have not experienced this on a path but I have on the squares. In my opinion dogs don't need to be at the squares. It does them no good and it can do harm to them or to others. We have an absolutely darling Bischon but we do not take her to the squares because we do not want her hurt or cause the hurt of others. You will just have to see her at our house, or look at this picture, she looks just like this!
LOL
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, owners, side, leash, pedestrian

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.