golf cart safety and common sense

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2013, 06:59 AM
Veteran member
Default golf cart safety and common sense

Some nice reporting of accidents involving golf carts in the latest issue of the POA bulletin. What really caught my eye was an open letter to all from one reader observing a woman holding an infant on her lap and an arm around a toddler while riding on the rear facing seat on a golf cart....and no seat belts in use! This is so irresponsible. That is why we have allowed so many regulations in our society, because our common sense has been allowed to wither. Maybe we really do need some enforced rules on the use of golf carts in our community. Auto seat belts are mandatory, no matter what speed one is going...why not mandatory on golf carts....? Infant seats...maybe that is necessary also. And enforcement of the speeding laws and reckless driving laws? The time for warnings is long over.
Thank you.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:11 AM
Veteran member

Travelguy, sadly perhaps you are right...
Old 04-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
Some nice reporting of accidents involving golf carts in the latest issue of the POA bulletin. What really caught my eye was an open letter to all from one reader observing a woman holding an infant on her lap and an arm around a toddler while riding on the rear facing seat on a golf cart....and no seat belts in use! This is so irresponsible. That is why we have allowed so many regulations in our society, because our common sense has been allowed to wither. Maybe we really do need some enforced rules on the use of golf carts in our community. Auto seat belts are mandatory, no matter what speed one is going...why not mandatory on golf carts....? Infant seats...maybe that is necessary also. And enforcement of the speeding laws and reckless driving laws? The time for warnings is long over.
Thank you.
Here's the thing no matter how many regulations you have you can't fix stupid
Old 04-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
Here's the thing no matter how many regulations you have you can't fix stupid
I agree! I'm not in favor of more regulations----"Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves". Ronald Reagan

Last edited by justjim; 04-05-2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Gold member

i for one have no desire to 'buckle up' every time i hop in my cart to go somewhere. the next thing people will want cart inspections and helmuts and it goes on and on. just a little common sense is all thats needed and we dont need regulations to get it!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Sage

Here's one for you'all. Today on the Morse Bridge by Lake Sumter....met a golf-cart with 2 adults riding and 2 adult men "standing" where the golf bags go hanging on the roof with HUGE smiles like little kids would have. All that was missing was the "wheeeeeeeeee!"

Add this to the other posts on less than safe behaviour. I'm not sure why folks think that golf-carts are just like regular cars and can be driven with gusto (so to speak). I'm just amazed there aren't MORE accidents here in T.V. As another poster said "you just can't fix stupid!"

There is THAT expression......"I never thought something like this would happen to us (whatever "the something" is)....it always seems to happen to other people!" Well there you have it!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
i for one have no desire to 'buckle up' every time i hop in my cart to go somewhere. the next thing people will want cart inspections and helmuts and it goes on and on. just a little common sense is all thats needed and we dont need regulations to get it!
Think from the other posts about this,people are saying that 4-seaters are not safe. The same stuff,people will fall out and get run over by cars and trucks.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Today going across the Morse Bridge we saw a Villages Watch truck with emergency lights blinking...( I didn't know they had them) slowly following a NOT street legal golf cart in the car lane. The cart driver seemed completly unaware he was being followed for any purpose.

My friend told me that yesterday she and her husband saw a golf cart crossing the Morse bridge on the sidewalk.

Makes you worry.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Veteran member

I read many posts that talk about common sense and the lack thereof when driving golf carts. I personally stopped using the term "common sense" when I realized that common sense is actually the sum of our experiences and culture. Quick example, one of my previous neighbors was an auto mechanic. He heard something in the engine of a truck I owned (way back when), diagnosed the problem and told me it was common sense. I am absolutely NOT an auto mechanic and I didn't have a clue.

I post my example as a lead into these questions. How many people do you think actually learned to drive a golf cart BEFORE they moved to the Villages? Did they seek out an opportunity to learn once they got to the Villages and before they "took off for the squares"? Perhaps they are just jumping on the cart and relying on their "common sense" to figure it out? Maybe instead of golf carts we should be driving bumper cars?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G
Default Seat belts in carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
If my wife and I had our belts buckled, (we were sitting on them) we would not have permanent injuries when a person in a Caddy ran the stop sign and ran into us. Luckly I turned enough for a glancing hit, but was knocked from the cart to the groung between his car and our cart, I thought he was going to run over me. (He totaled our custom golf cart). Use the belts all time now.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Location: Ft. Lauderdale - New Castle,PA - Overland Park, KS - Palm Bay, FL - Village of Charlotte

After reading about all of this careless and irresponsible behavior of owners, guests, grandkids, etc, I sometimes get concerned that the State of Florida will revoke our priviledge of being called a 'golf cart' community. If that were to happen that would be a big disappointment for all of us residents.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoops View Post
After reading about all of this careless and irresponsible behavior of owners, guests, grandkids, etc, I sometimes get concerned that the State of Florida will revoke our priviledge of being called a 'golf cart' community. If that were to happen that would be a big disappointment for all of us residents.
Not gonna happen....

For all the gnashing of teeth and name calling on here...ie stupid, idiots, morons, etc. There are very few cart accidents, considering there are probably more than 35,000 carts in the Villages.

This is all much ado about nothing
Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom

Our house is adjacent to Nancy Lopez. Yesterday, while sitting in my back yard, I looked up just in time to see a golf cart make a fairly tight left turn and the passenger literally flew out of the cart and landed on his back on the course. I would have gone to his aid, but several other golfers ran to assist him.

Fortunately he seemed to be OK, but gee whiz, cart drivers take it easy out there. Passengers, hold on to something in the cart.

I also wonder if a little alcohol may have been involved. Just sayin'

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaniesmom View Post
Our house is adjacent to Nancy Lopez. Yesterday, while sitting in my back yard, I looked up just in time to see a golf cart make a fairly tight left turn and the passenger literally flew out of the cart and landed on his back on the course. I would have gone to his aid, but several other golfers ran to assist him.

Fortunately he seemed to be OK, but gee whiz, cart drivers take it easy out there. Passengers, hold on to something in the cart.

I also wonder if a little alcohol may have been involved. Just sayin'
That is exactly why seat belts are a good idea when not playing golf (getting on and off the cart a lot). A person doesn't have to be drunk to be thrown like that. There are many accounts of people being thrown (and often killed on the pavement or concrete curbing) because they were riding and the driver had to make a sudden, unexpected maneuver.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:41 AM

I played a golf course where the rear bumpers on the carts were replaced with platforms about 6" deep. Our 2 caddies (which were called player assistants) would ride on the cart, standing on the platform and holding on to the rear edge of the roof. All of the player assistants were women and they all wore a uniform (not unlike nurse's scrubs) and cone shaped wicker hats.

Fortunately, they did not allow the carts off of the cart path - that would have been quite dangerous.

The assistants were very good at calling out distances (I think they had the sprinkler heads memorized) and reading putts.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.