Dog Walking

Closed Thread
Old 11-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Default Re: Dog Walking

I, too, have spent a lot of my time chasing people off my lawn where their pets have left me a gift. Of course, the problem is not the pets, it is the Village Mentality that drives these inconsiderate people to disregard the facts that they are tresspassing, that the drop (picked up or not) leaves a stench which every other passing pet MUST investigate. Some pet owners insist that their picking up the droppings is all they are required to do. Well, WRONG!!!!!! You should never have allowed the pet to go on the property in the first place. My little dog has never in his life set foot on another person's lawn but his own. I walk him in the street and pick up his droppings with toilet paper, deposit it into a plastic bag, bring it home and flush the dropping down the toilet, minus the bag, of course. What is so hard about that? :edit:
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 11-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman
I agree there are inconsiderate people who walk their dogs and don't clean up behind them or allow them to do their business on lawns. This problem is not restricted the TV and can be found in all areas. It is cause for concern but what concerns me most is the vitriol that is permeating in this discussion and other forum discussion subjects. I was led to believe TV is Florida's friendliest home town. I am beginning to have second thoughts about my retirement destination.
I would not judge TV by what some people post on various threads on TOTV. Message boards often show the worst in people when they post anonymously or semi-anonymously on the Internet. Check out some of the other message boards on the Internet like Findlaw's message boards or those connected with the Internet Movie Database or those of Snopes.com. They often get extremely nasty in their exchanges.

I actually think that by in large the Villages show more concern for their neighbors than in many other places. Of course, there are exceptions, but the Villages is a place with a lot of friendly people.

I am a male and I walk my own dog Sport and always carry a plastic bag. If I forget one, then I use something from my wallet to pick up the poop. Fortunately, I have always had something other than $ to get the dog's poop up with if my pockets were devoid of a plastic bag. Not much can be done from stopping the dog from peeing where he wants to go except making sure he does not pee in the same spots.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:29 PM

i agree 100%, when my son comes down, with his dog, i make sure he does his business in my yard , before we walk him. i would also like to complain about the smokers , who think it's OK to flip their butts not only on my lawn, but all around the common area's of the villages. those butts with filters will last on the ground forever, until someone picks them up.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

talterzac.....Your a stitch........You must be the guy that woke me up one morning and ask me if I had five one's for a five...............

fumar ;D ;D ;D ;D
Old 11-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Platinum member

We bought a container of poop bags that attaches to our dog leash. It's a great invention. Always have bags with us when our dog is out.
Tampa, FL
Old 11-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Banned

I've got two dogs (Smooth Fox Terrier and a Lakeland Terrier). Walking the dogs is a joy for a "dog person." and trips away from the house always include plastic bags "just in case" something happens.

Dog walks are supposed to be a social time, and not centered as a canine bathroom-break. For the dog that's penned inside all day, and brought out of the house solely for a walk to allow the dog to relieve itself, I can't blame the short critter at the ground-end of the leash for the insensitivity of the taller critter at the handle-end. That's why having a courtyard villa and a dog door going out to the courtyard made so much sense to me. It definitely makes walks more pleasurable for all.

Are there inconsiderate dog owners? Sure, there are! I would like to think they are the exception to the rule, comprising a small minority for the sake of the canine population. Like anything, it's always the small minority that tend to get the majority of the attention.

For fellow dog owners, those folk who don't appreciate any critter - canine, human or otherwise - defecating on their yards are correct in voicing their displeasure. Please appreciate that other's property is theirs and no one has an easement to use other's property in that manner. If you walk your dog solely to allow it to relieve itself on other's property, don't be surprised with your neighbor retaliates in kind.

For fellow property owners, please accept that accidents do happen despite the best of intentions and protections, and the responsible dog owner-walker-neighbor will clean up the mess and take measures to insure it doesn't happen again on your property.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by the great fumar
talterzac.....Your a stitch........You must be the guy that woke me up one morning and ask me if I had five one's for a five...............

fumar ;D ;D ;D ;D
Sounds like me. :joke:
Old 11-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Veteran member

I remember someone posting this problem once before ( and Jan has a post that addresses the same situation today)

It sounds to me there are ALOT of inconsiderate dog owners in TV if this keeps coming up.

As I wrote once before, hose them down (owner and dog) if you see them on your property when a polite request to not allow that has been previously given.
"Opps, the hose got away from me"

See how they like THAT!!

Just so you know--I don't get mad--I get even!!!
Village of Hemmingway
Old 11-02-2007, 07:54 PM

I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one having problems with certain pet owners, My husband didnt think I should voice anything, because he thought it was just me, after I showed him all the responses to inconciderate pet owners (pic up or not ) he agrees, this is a problem and these people should be fined, especially when you have already asked them to not let there pet use your yard as a potty
Old 11-02-2007, 08:04 PM

hi

If you check your registered plot plan you will find that your lot line is approx. 13 ft from the edge of pavement, therefore your lot starts at that point. There is 13 feet on each side of the road that belongs to whoever owns the road. You do not own that 13 feet.

DrDodge
Old 11-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdodge
hi

If you check your registered plot plan you will find that your lot line is approx. 13 ft from the edge of pavement, therefore your lot starts at that point. There is 13 feet on each side of the road that belongs to whoever owns the road. You do not own that 13 feet.

DrDodge

At your encouragement, I checked my "plot plan." There is absolutely nothing.....as in zero about a 13' offset from the street. It shows my driveway going right to the street. Sorry, but dogs and owners that intrude on my property are tresspassing.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:51 PM

Hi,
I wouldn't even think of accidentally squirting someone with a hose while they were walking a dog.
Obviously not one of the friendliest of TV.
Perhaps they should have a pet free zone for those who object to animals.
:
Liz
Old 11-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewstanley
Hi,
I wouldn't even think of accidentally squirting someone with a hose while they were walking a dog.
Obviously not one of the friendliest of TV.
Perhaps they should have a pet free zone for those who object to animals.
:
Liz
I guess its OK for owners to intentionally allow their dogs to do their thing on someone elses lawn. How inconsiderate. I agree with Jan.
Village of Hemmingway
Old 11-02-2007, 09:19 PM

I never thought that anyone would intentionally let an animal defecate on a specific lawn. That must be some well trained dog. If the person doesn't pick up after the animal it is a extremely rude owner. It sounds like TV is full of inconsiderate people. If someone didn't pick up after their animal it should be brought to their attention. We live on a corner in Michigan and we have an occasional case of someone not picking up after the animal but it isn't that often.
scoop your dog's poop :bigthumbsup:
Old 11-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy D
I remember someone posting this problem once before ( and Jan has a post that addresses the same situation today)

It sounds to me there are ALOT of inconsiderate dog owners in TV if this keeps coming up.

As I wrote once before, hose them down (owner and dog) if you see them on your property when a polite request to not allow that has been previously given.
"Opps, the hose got away from me"

See how they like THAT!!

Just so you know--I don't get mad--I get even!!!
That would probably open you up to a lawsuit especially if you hosed someone down when it is cold outside. The damages would probably be minimal unless hosing the person down caused them to get sick.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.