New home quality

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2021, 07:39 AM
Default New home quality

I've always heard that you get more home for your dollar outside TV.

My cousin visited and we looked at several retirement communities from leesburg to ocala.

The only new homes were at Top of the World. Looking at homes in both totw and TV in the $250-300k range, the quality was much better in totw. Have to say I was disappointed in the new home quality in the st Catherine area.

But there were no comparison on activities with TV. Not even close.

So it comes down to lifestyle. For me. It was the activities. I think my cousin feels the same way.

When we visited all these retirement areas, I never revealed that I was from TV. It was interesting to hear the locals talk about TV. A lot of crazy stories!
Old 05-20-2021, 07:49 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Well, they do tend to build fast here in TV. Mine was built in 2004, and I just got around to replacing the microwave hood. Tnere was a vent on the outside of the house but it never vented out there. Once I took the microwave down, it was easy to see why. They never reversed the motor to rear vent the microwave.

And some mental midget ran the gas line right down where the vent was supposed to be. I had to offset everything by 2" to avoid the gas line and vent outside. When they realized their mistake, rather than fix it, they put a piece of sheet metal over the opening.

Crazy....
Old 05-20-2021, 09:51 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,426 Times in 1,469 Posts

We have been in our home for 4 years now and have not had any problems, only minor cosmetic items found during the one year inspection and everything is holding up very well. Can you be more specific on what you see that is inferior?
Old 05-20-2021, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,693 Times in 603 Posts

I think The Villages did a pretty fair job on the build of my 2012 villa. Some minor things, but no big deal.
You may get better quality elsewhere, but the community and amenities more than offset that in my opinion.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:51 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I think The Villages did a pretty fair job on the build of my 2012 villa. Some minor things, but no big deal.
You may get better quality elsewhere, but the community and amenities more than offset that in my opinion.
Agreed. I am extremely satisfied!
Old 05-20-2021, 11:14 AM

The spaghetti wiring in the attic drives me nuts. Up north wiring is run in orderly fashion and attached all along the way to its individual locations. No issues, I just perceive this as sloppy workmanship and nobody sees it.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:32 AM

Compared to other homes I have built I would say the homes are of “average” quality with no major issues and very responsive to fix anything that goes wrong in the first year. You can build outside the Villages and get more home for your money, but, it is all the activities and things to do that the Villages blows away there competition as demonstrated in their annual sales of new homes.

When we compared all the 55+ places in the state we always kept comparing them to the Villages and for us the Villages always came out on top. It’s funny the original post mentioned OTOW in Ocala. That was the place we visited before the Villages and it was like crickets there with no one outside. The next day we come to the Villages and there are people everywhere. They are walking, riding bikes, in golf carts, playing golf, pickle ball, at the squares, etc. The first few hours we just went around with our mouths open, we couldn’t believe it. There are pros and cons with any place, but this place checks off most everything we want.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:16 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misky1951 View Post
I've always heard that you get more home for your dollar outside TV.

My cousin visited and we looked at several retirement communities from leesburg to ocala.

The only new homes were at Top of the World. Looking at homes in both totw and TV in the $250-300k range, the quality was much better in totw. Have to say I was disappointed in the new home quality in the st Catherine area.

But there were no comparison on activities with TV. Not even close.

So it comes down to lifestyle. For me. It was the activities. I think my cousin feels the same way.

When we visited all these retirement areas, I never revealed that I was from TV. It was interesting to hear the locals talk about TV. A lot of crazy stories!
Our 15 year old CYV home has been trouble free and very good quality.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,326 Times in 2,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadeofdave View Post
The spaghetti wiring in the attic drives me nuts. Up north wiring is run in orderly fashion and attached all along the way to its individual locations. No issues, I just perceive this as sloppy workmanship and nobody sees it.
Interesting our 2013 vintage house has very neat wiring, for all of the wiring, electric, cable, phone, and alarm system, all installed during the build. I have seen houses that a previous owner decided to make wiring changes, generally a messy job.
Old 05-21-2021, 05:08 AM

Totally agree. You're buying a lifestyle here at TV. All the other retirement communities have much less to offer. No one was around.
Old 05-21-2021, 05:16 AM
Veteran member

Did you check out Citrus Hills?
Old 05-21-2021, 05:23 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,306 Times in 564 Posts

Is Mental Midget a form of endearment?
Old 05-21-2021, 05:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,306 Times in 564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadeofdave View Post
Non-union Electricians never receive the UNION training
Old 05-21-2021, 05:29 AM

things to do ????? it's a trade off
Old 05-21-2021, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misky1951 View Post
Looking at homes in both totw and TV in the $250-300k range, the quality was much better in totw. Have to say I was disappointed in the new home quality in the st Catherine area.
I’m curious about how you judged quality. Did you check how straight the walls were? Did they use better quality paint? We’re the shingles installed straighter in TotW? We’re their appliances higher end so that their ice makers would not spew ice all over the floor when you use them? 😃 That sort of thing. Or, we’re you really referring to how much house you get for the money?
Closed Thread

Tags
home, quality, retirement, activities, totw

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.