Doggy Land New Boarding Facility

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2017, 02:15 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills
Default Doggy Land New Boarding Facility

We went to the open house at the new Doggy Land on SE Hwy 42. The property is beautiful. However, if you have large dogs, which we do, I was very concerned.

They have it set up so if you have smaller dogs, they will board them in the house either in their own crate that you bring or maybe they can just be loose in the house if they are well behaved and socialized. So that is pretty good. Nice house with lots of space where they plan on boarding small dogs. No fenced area though for the dogs to run out into from the house if they need to go out. So they would have to put them on a leash and walk them, not sure how many at a time they can handle.

However, for the large dogs, they have what looks like they may have been former horse or other animal stalls, updated somewhat for the dogs. Not enclosed but they do have a roof over the stalls and the stalls are 12 x 12. Plenty roomy. But these stalls are away from the main house and also from the "dog swimming pool" and large fenced area that they boast they have. I do not see the dogs being taken to the pool so easily as it is a walk from the stalls and not easy if walking a lot of dogs.

The MOST concerning thing. I asked the owner. What about on hot days? No air conditioning, it is just outside stalls. In fact they are not enclosed so the bugs can get in. He said summer was still a long way away and he is thinking about it. He told me various vets told him air conditioning is not good when there are a lot of dog stalls. He is thinking about mist and fans, but presently has nothing. Now we can get hot weather any time, and I feel this should have been in place, whatever system, already. There is no heat either if it gets cold. I think it irresponsible to be boarding before the air and heat to address the elements are in place.

He did say the dogs could come in the house if needed and if they were trained, but how many dogs, little and big, can you have in one house, and there is not fencing around the house so how do the dogs go out and manage all their needs?

I felt that this dog boarding facility was not well thought out. It is also at least $15 a day more expensive for two dogs than Bedtime Tails where we presently go, and which has fencing right out the door for the dogs to go out and run.

Check it out for yourself. For small dogs, you may be ok, but for the big dogs, I cannot recommend at this time. It struck me more as somewhere that is going to take in as many dogs as possible, charge more, and is not organized yet. Maybe in time it will be ready, I do not think it is ready to operate as it is now.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:57 PM
Platinum member

ABCD Pet Resort (All 'Bout Cats n Dogs) is a great resort for large dogs.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
We went to the open house at the new Doggy Land on SE Hwy 42. The property is beautiful. However, if you have large dogs, which we do, I was very concerned.
Jane, thanks for the comprehensive report, much appreciated.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Jane, thanks for the comprehensive report, much appreciated.
But Bare, I am very interested to read about the 120-foot pool. Your and my big ones might enjoy that. I wonder what the particulars are, if it's open other than at Yappie Hours, and when can we go check it out.

I agree the boarding for big dogs does not sound ideal. It also sounds a bit sketchy as to whether the concerns about the no heat or air conditioning will be handled. But that pool sounds enticing.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post

They have it set up so if you have smaller dogs, they will board them in the house either in their own crate that you bring or maybe they can just be loose in the house if they are well behaved and socialized. So that is pretty good. Nice house with lots of space where they plan on boarding small dogs. No fenced area though for the dogs to run out into from the house if they need to go out. So they would have to put them on a leash and walk them, not sure how many at a time they can handle.

However, for the large dogs, they have what looks like they may have been former horse or other animal stalls, updated somewhat for the dogs. Not enclosed but they do have a roof over the stalls and the stalls are 12 x 12. Plenty roomy. But these stalls are away from the main house and also from the "dog swimming pool" and large fenced area that they boast they have. I do not see the dogs being taken to the pool so easily as it is a walk from the stalls and not easy if walking a lot of dogs.

The MOST concerning thing. I asked the owner. What about on hot days? No air conditioning, it is just outside stalls. In fact they are not enclosed so the bugs can get in. He said summer was still a long way away and he is thinking about it. He told me various vets told him air conditioning is not good when there are a lot of dog stalls. He is thinking about mist and fans, but presently has nothing. Now we can get hot weather any time, and I feel this should have been in place, whatever system, already. There is no heat either if it gets cold. I think it irresponsible to be boarding before the air and heat to address the elements are in place.

He did say the dogs could come in the house if needed and if they were trained, but how many dogs, little and big, can you have in one house, and there is not fencing around the house so how do the dogs go out and manage all their needs?

I felt that this dog boarding facility was not well thought out. It is also at least $15 a day more expensive for two dogs than Bedtime Tails where we presently go, and which has fencing right out the door for the dogs to go out and run.

Check it out for yourself. For small dogs, you may be ok, but for the big dogs, I cannot recommend at this time. It struck me more as somewhere that is going to take in as many dogs as possible, charge more, and is not organized yet. Maybe in time it will be ready, I do not think it is ready to operate as it is now.
My little Jack Russell is a runner, so this place is a definite no! for me. We love Villages Pet Spa on Rolling Acres Road...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2018, 10:06 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

I'll pass on this one
Old 01-17-2018, 10:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
But Bare, I am very interested to read about the 120-foot pool. Your and my big ones might enjoy that. I wonder what the particulars are, if it's open other than at Yappie Hours, and when can we go check it out.
Please let me know when we're going to check out the pool.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Please let me know when we're going to check out the pool.
It has to warm up first! (For the people, not the dogs...)
Old 01-17-2018, 11:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It has to warm up first! (For the people, not the dogs...)
Warming up next week, let's go check out the pool at Doggy Land!
Old 01-17-2018, 11:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Warming up next week, let's go check out the pool at Doggy Land!
It'd s deal.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:08 PM
Gold member

Great report. I would be concerned since there is no fenced yard. And definitely don't like the idea of the big dogs being in a place that does not have heat or cooling and open where mosquitoes, etc. can get to them. They definitely need to change a few things to be successful in my opinion.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeo View Post
Great report. I would be concerned since there is no fenced yard. And definitely don't like the idea of the big dogs being in a place that does not have heat or cooling and open where mosquitoes, etc. can get to them. They definitely need to change a few things to be successful in my opinion.
I agree that the boarding facilities are not good for big dogs. What intrigues me is having a safe place for water-nut dogs (mine) to swim. The closest dog park offering that is in Inverness, but the pond is hardly big or deep enough for much actual swimming.

I've been lax in checking this place out. I've saved the article that was in the Daily Sun. Maybe I can entice Bare to go there next week, and give an update on the facility.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:04 PM

Great report! My frenchie is not a swimmer and I don't like that there is no fence so this place is not sounding so good.
I do need a kennel or pet sitter over Easter weekend.

Tags
dogs, house, stalls, time, boarding

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.