Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2019, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by the square View Post
The dogs should be stopped at the door. PERIOD
THAT is not nearly as simple as typing it.

This community is strongly pro dog and people vote with their feet.

Plus of course the real reason is that there are no laws to support expelling them.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:07 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
We were at Orlando airport and there were a few dogs around, one in particularly, was on a leash. He was walking behind his owners. He poops on the floor, everyone kept walking. There stood dog poop in the middle of the floor. It was gross. Our entertainment for the next hour was to see how many people walked through it with their luggage. Can you imagine dragging your luggage through it? It’s just disgusting. Somethings gotta stop with the dog thing. It’s outta control.
The dog owner was wrong but to find it entertaining to watch people walk through it with their luggage is just as wrong. I understand you might not want to clean the mess but as a decent human being you should've brought it to an airport employee to have it cleaned up.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawnwy123 View Post
Hi this is totally forbidden in many western states. It is so loose here, we quit cruise ships due to dog poop on the bed, on the floor, in the elevator and in the shower. It is also so bad now in some motels,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, crap in the corner, spots of pee etc.
Really loose here in Florida.

I cruise often. The staterooms have been very clean. One time I did see dog (I assume it was dog) poop in the corridor. I told one of the room attendants, in minutes the poop was picked up and the rug steam cleaned.

This thread can go on and on but the bottom-line is the problem is not the animal. Animals do what animals do. The problem is 100% with the owner and their “tough s..t, I’ll do what I want to do” attitude. It’s more than entitlement, it’s pure arrogance.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Wink

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Therapy Dogs.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	78498  
Old 02-10-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
"Comfort animals" are not service dogs. The general rule of thumb is: four on the floor, and kept to a short leash. If they're carried in, rolled in a stroller, not leashed, or on one of those expand-a-leashes, they are not on-duty service animals and not allowed in the store. It's illegal to require someone to produce proof that their animal is a service animal. However it is well within the law to require that their dog be a) leashed, 2) kept on the floor at all times, 3) behaved, and 4) in close physical proximity to the person at the other end of the leash at all times.

Since you don't even have to ask anyone "is that a service dog?" you bypass the potential for discrimination against the disabled when you tell the customer he has to remove his animal from the premises. If the dog is not behaving or disrupting business in any way, if the dog is not walking on his own, and not leashed, then the store manager has the absolute right to kick the dog and its owner out of the store.
Great points!
Old 02-11-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Anyone can ask "what service does your dog do?"
And anyone can answer, "None of your business." Because it really IS none of your business unless you're the owner or manager of a business that said dog has been brought in to.

Quote:
In Connecticut it is illegal to challenge or question the function of a service animal. You can ask if it is, in fact, a service animal. If they say yes, then the conversation is over. If they say no, then you can ask them to take the animal elsewhere. If you ask "what service does your animal provide" they can sue you for violation of the ADA.
Exactly. And be careful because laws vary by state.

Quote:
Hm - I just checked the CT law and you're half-right. It's not a violation of the ADA to ask someone what service the dog provides the person on the other end of the leash. Rather, the question they are allowed to ask, is what services the dog has been trained to provide (whether it actually provides these services to the person on the other end of the leash or not).

In the state of Connecticut, the person with the dog is NOT required or under any obligation at all, to tell anyone what that dog does for the person. There is also no law regarding untrue claims. So even if I you asked, if I felt like saying "oh he's trained to handle seizures" I can be lying, and there's nothing you can do about it. You aren't allowed to require proof, and I'm not obligated to provide any.
See above.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormlover View Post
And anyone can answer, "None of your business." Because it really IS none of your business unless you're the owner or manager of a business that said dog has been brought in to.

Exactly. And be careful because laws vary by state.

See above.
I think that you might have a dog that you take into stores?

Yesterday I was having my hair cut and someone brought in an adorable little dog in a stroller and he/she sat there like a well trained child.
Some do not fully appreciate ADA rules until you travel abroad where there is no handicap access...…...But I think those rules are sometimes being used against everyone by unscrupulous lawyers looking to make big bucks and sometimes harm and ruin good things like our Lifelong Learning College. Anyone who knows me well knows that disabilities are well understood by me. I just hate to see our laws used against common sense and the greater good.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Yesterday I was having my hair cut and someone brought in an adorable little dog in a stroller and he/she sat there like a well trained child.
Some do not fully appreciate ADA rules until you travel abroad where there is no handicap access...…...But I think those rules are sometimes being used against everyone by unscrupulous lawyers looking to make big bucks and sometimes harm and ruin good things like our Lifelong Learning College. Anyone who knows me well knows that disabilities are well understood by me. I just hate to see our laws used against common sense and the greater good.
Agreed!!! My bone to pick in this is I know folks who have registered ADA dogs and they don't compare to "comfort" animals or pets. They're highly trained and also are much needed by their humans. People who abuse this should be ashamed of themselves, but that's my opinion. Dogs and pets shouldn't have the same rights.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:46 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
We left a restaurant a couple of nights ago, and here's a little dog sitting in the front of an SUV staring at the restaurant. I do not understand a person that can't leave a dog home, but must take it somewhere and then leave it sitting alone in a vehicle/golf cart in a strange place while they go in and enjoy themselves for an hour or more. Some people claim that the dog is destructive if left at home alone; the answer is a roomy crate where their precious has water/food and familiar surroundings until they get back. If you can survive for over an hour in a restaurant or store without your "therapy dog", then you can survive the drive too. These people don't really care about the animal, it's all about them. Pets are not toys.
I like your post...
Old 02-13-2019, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I like your post...
The only time I can even think there would be an exception is if you're just getting a bite to eat on your way to somewhere else. As in - travelling out of state, moving, etc. But even then, I wouldn't leave the dog in the car for more than a few minutes, with the car running, the a/c on or heat on (as is appropriate) and just to pick up a take-out order.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:51 PM
Gold member

Legitimate Service dogs/ guide dogs are welcome whenever & wherever....all others need to stay home & the owners need to stop defying the code of common sense & common courtesy!!
Old 02-14-2019, 06:29 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
Legitimate Service dogs/ guide dogs are welcome whenever & wherever....all others need to stay home & the owners need to stop defying the code of common sense & common courtesy!!
Old 02-18-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Nope. No pets. No kids.

But I do have an aversion to total strangers walking up to other strangers and grilling them about personal information. It's a little too much 'entitlement' attitude for me. I feel the same way about perfect strangers rubbing their hands over the belly of some pregnant woman they happen to meet on the street or in the stores.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormlover View Post
Nope. No pets. No kids.

But I do have an aversion to total strangers walking up to other strangers and grilling them about personal information. It's a little too much 'entitlement' attitude for me. I feel the same way about perfect strangers rubbing their hands over the belly of some pregnant woman they happen to meet on the street or in the stores.
Not a whole bunch of them around here.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 PM

Yes I totally agree! It is never ok to bring your animals into a grocery store.
Closed Thread

Tags
grocery, dogs, cart, food, leash

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.