Dogs in Grocery Stores

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2014, 06:31 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I love dogs. I don't have dogs but I love them. I have never seen one in a grocery store here.

Look at this;

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
I'm still laughing!
Old 07-19-2014, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I love dogs. I don't have dogs but I love them. I have never seen one in a grocery store here.

Look at this;

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
That's a favorite at Doggie Doo Run Run.

I sometimes have seen dogs at WalMarts, Targets, and the like, but never at Winn Dixies, Albertsons, Publixes, etc both here in the Villages as well as in Palm Harbor, Florida.

Assistance dogs I have seen always have had on some kind of harness or other way of showing that they are assisting someone. Usually they also have a warning about not petting them.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:57 AM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

The saga continues.........
Old 07-19-2014, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
Not necessarily true. And it is against ADA law to ask about the dog.
Not true Revised ADA Requirements: Service Animals

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
Not necessarily true. And it is against ADA law to ask about the dog.
No, it is not. You may ask what service the dog provides. You cannot ask what disability the owner has.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
As we know, some Villagers don't have the common sense of a flea.
Demonstrated Daily.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

Our dogs wouldn't fit in a cart and we would never consider shopping with them. At least once a month I see a dog in one store or another in a cart and we live in PA. My perception is that service dogs are large, wear something that identifies them as such, and wonder why the owner has a need to shop with them. I learned on one shopping trip the small breed would detect a drop in the diabetic owners sugar level. This is probably the minority of dogs in shopping carts and there's really no way to distinguish which is which.

I always wipe down a cart. I don't know if there's been a dog, infant with a wet diaper, or who knows what. I may be a germ freak, but never get sick.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:26 AM

On a recent flight home to The Villages, there was a lady in the airport with a small terrier type of dog. She sat near us in the waiting area and bragged to the person next to her how easy it was to have her doctor designate the animal as a "comfort dog" so she could take it with her on the airplane. She took the dog onto the plane with her and the poor thing shivered and squirmed through the whole flight - obviously scared to death. I think the way some people use their dogs borders on animal cruelty. I love dogs, but they need to be loved and cared for - not used for the owner's vanity.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjbud View Post
On a recent flight home to The Villages, there was a lady in the airport with a small terrier type of dog. She sat near us in the waiting area and bragged to the person next to her how easy it was to have her doctor designate the animal as a "comfort dog" so she could take it with her on the airplane. She took the dog onto the plane with her and the poor thing shivered and squirmed through the whole flight - obviously scared to death. I think the way some people use their dogs borders on animal cruelty. I love dogs, but they need to be loved and cared for - not used for the owner's vanity.
I now want to bring my "comfort squirrel " on board the next time I fly.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseylou View Post
I love my dogs
I will hurt anyone who hurts my dogs
However, I will NEVER take my dogs places they don't belong
Debbie
Agreed.

There was a lady dancing 'alone' with her dog on a long...I mean LONG...leash last night at LSL. no attempt to control the dog whatsoever. People having to step over or around the dog and leash while she was watching. One can only imagine her deluded perception of how "cute" her dog is.

I think this sort of thing irritates responsible dog owners more than (or at least as much as) anyone else.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:40 AM

What really sends me over the edge is when people put used diapers in the garbage cans outside of restaurant's. No plastic bag just the used diaper. Sick and disgusting!!!!
Old 07-19-2014, 08:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjbud View Post
For a "comfort animal" they just need a recent letter from their psychiatrist.

Personally, I have never seen a comfort animal on a plane but did see one OLD couple have their comfort dog on a cruise ship. Just WRONG.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Did you see the recent article in The Daily Sun about a woman and her service cat? The cat goes everywhere with her because the cat warns of seizures. What may seem wrong to you may have a legitimate reason. And then of course there are those that....well, you know.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Ruger View Post
It's individual perception. Dogs are no more problematic than children.
maybe less.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I now want to bring my "comfort squirrel " on board the next time I fly.
thanks for the laugh.......but not necessarily the morning coffee out my nose.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.