Dogs In The Squares When Extremely Crowded

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2018, 03:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,385 Times in 2,521 Posts

We had dogs for years when the kids were younger, but now we travel a lot, do not have one.
Our dogs were always treated as dogs, knew their place in our pack, (bottom of the pecking order) and were as 'Happy as Larry,' and never confused about their status.
My only other observation if you travel with your dog, is keep them close when eating in Vietnamese/Korean restaurants!
Old 03-26-2018, 05:39 AM

IMO this dog thing is out of control. People are bringing dogs everywhere. I see them in restaurants, church, squares, stores and everyplace people go. At the St Pattys parade in SS I even saw a dog in the public restroom. It's not the dog it's the owners attitude that because they love their dog everyone else has to love them. Leave your poor dog at home. They will be fine. I also don't understand dog owners who walk their dogs and allow them to do their business on everyone's lawn. Why can't they let the dog go on their lawn? No they go on other people's lawns. My lawn has lots of brown spots and I bet their lawn looks like something in Home and Gardens. Please curb your dog. I love dogs as I have had several. Just looking for some respect.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:40 AM
Veteran member

I have owned dogs for most of my 77 years some were big English Sheepdogs other were tiny lap dogs and never did I feel the dogs wanted to go to" town"
those that do take them to people events are not making them happy, and how ignorant to take your pet to dinner with you , and the scam some do about being a service ,to me pets have their place at home and family events only.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:57 AM

I am a dog owner of a beautiful sweet labradoodle that we keep groomed monthly. I do take her for rides on my golf cart but do not take her into the squares because I can never know if she will need to do her business there. That is my main reason to avoid the crowds. That should be reason enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2018, 07:45 AM
Default Luv it!

My 16 & 1/2 year old Maltese goes out with us all of the time. He is more stressed being left home alone after losing his brother than going out with us. I have a buggy, blanket, fan, ice, treats, etc. I would prefer to leave him home at times but at his age if he wants to come with us and I can do it, then I will. So glad that it’s dog friendly here!
Old 03-26-2018, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
The company of a dog for many people is all they have and sometimes even if they have human company in their lives the dog's company is way better. You are on the money Polar Bear.
What Nucky said.

SMART MAN, NUCKY!!!!!
Old 03-26-2018, 07:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You know I know some people love their dogs as much as some people do their own kids, but to drag a dog to the square to show your dog off or whatever the reason, does the dog really know why they are there do they really care if they are there. I would be afraid to have my dog step on & if it were a bigger dog I would also be afraid if the dog got step on, it would bite. Yes I know most big dog owners would say, "Oh my dog wouldn't bite anyone". Just leave your dog home for a couple of hrs. if that not possible stay home yourself, you wanted a pet so don't punish a dog that probably doesn't want to be there anyway. Just don't want to sound mean, just trying to feel how a dog must feel. I've had lots of dogs, but I won't get another because I just don't want to be a slave to my pet, it's not fair to the dog for me not to be there with it just because I wanted it.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psa1000 View Post
I am a dog owner of a beautiful sweet labradoodle that we keep groomed monthly. I do take her for rides on my golf cart but do not take her into the squares because I can never know if she will need to do her business there. That is my main reason to avoid the crowds. That should be reason enough.

I agree that a dog is the best companion you could ever own. Enjoy them as they are really a gift. Judge their behavior and act accordingly. I would like there to be an easier way to bring them south instead of such a long drive. Airplanes should offer a later time flight for people with pets which would solve the problem of flying under a false pretense of companion dogs. In actuality all pets are a companion or we wouldn’t need them.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
Just Something to think about.
Some folks lost there significant other and a dog is there only companion.
As a prior dog owner they become your family and some people here that live alone, that may be there only family.
Just something to consider.

I agree

Old 03-26-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
You know I know some people love their dogs as much as some people do their own kids, but to drag a dog to the square to show your dog off or whatever the reason, does the dog really know why they are there do they really care if they are there. I would be afraid to have my dog step on & if it were a bigger dog I would also be afraid if the dog got step on, it would bite. Yes I know most big dog owners would say, "Oh my dog wouldn't bite anyone". Just leave your dog home for a couple of hrs. if that not possible stay home yourself, you wanted a pet so don't punish a dog that probably doesn't want to be there anyway. Just don't want to sound mean, just trying to feel how a dog must feel. I've had lots of dogs, but I won't get another because I just don't want to be a slave to my pet, it's not fair to the dog for me not to be there with it just because I wanted it.

I agree and ALL dogs will bite if they are threatened or are being territorial.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
The company of a dog for many people is all they have and sometimes even if they have human company in their lives the dog's company is way better. You are on the money Polar Bear.
Back in the day, when my husband would come home from work he used to ask why is it the only one that faithfully greets him, and with such joy and excitement, was the family dog.

Nucky, your post reminds me of the saying that family dogs are so special, even if you were to accidentally lock him/her in the trunk of the car, when you open the trunk your beloved pet would just be happy to see you as always. Try that with your beloved spouse.

Disclaimer: NOT suggesting anyone try this - with dog OR spouse!
Old 03-26-2018, 09:01 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,067 Times in 535 Posts

The only thing worse than taking dogs to the squares is the non stop whining and complaining. This is a weekly discussion either here, on facebook or the **************. Don't you people ever get tiring of whining and complaining? people will still do what they want, you aren't changing anything.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:25 AM

Amen!!
Old 03-26-2018, 09:43 AM
Send a message via AIM to Emmakrock@yahoo.com

My dog is now gone but suffered from severe anxiety when left alone. I didn’t take her to restaurants but I did take her to the square. HShe loved it. I would take her in her stroller to events where there was lots of people to protect her. I always carried water for her. She never lit a cigarette outside the square to force others to walk through it to get in. This is suppose to be a dog friendly place is one of the reasons we moved here. We loved her dearly. She was our family. She never ran out in the square to dance not looking where she was going almost tripping older folks. She never whined and cried when she didn’t get her way.I love seeing people with their grandchildren , I never complain about it even when they cry or throw tantrums when I’m eating.so I think those who complain about our pets here should be quiet and quit judging others... you sound like a bunch of old people. Please find something else do
Old 03-26-2018, 01:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmakrock@yahoo.com View Post
My dog is now gone but suffered from severe anxiety when left alone. I didn’t take her to restaurants but I did take her to the square. HShe loved it. I would take her in her stroller to events where there was lots of people to protect her. I always carried water for her. She never lit a cigarette outside the square to force others to walk through it to get in. This is suppose to be a dog friendly place is one of the reasons we moved here. We loved her dearly. She was our family. She never ran out in the square to dance not looking where she was going almost tripping older folks. She never whined and cried when she didn’t get her way.I love seeing people with their grandchildren , I never complain about it even when they cry or throw tantrums when I’m eating.so I think those who complain about our pets here should be quiet and quit judging others... you sound like a bunch of old people. Please find something else do
I understand what you're saying and agree it's nice to be able to take one's dog to the squares. But I think the original statement was to the effect that many dog owners here do not protect their dog as you did with a stroller; AND, they do not protect other people from potential dog fights or biting under stress, because....

A good portion of owners here overestimate their "perfect" dog's training and ability to stay peaceful and not attack when stressed by crowding and noisy, maybe pushy, public crowds and other less obedient/unsafe dogs.

Not everyone's dog is predictable when they spy other aggressive or untrained dogs and humanoids.
Closed Thread

Tags
day, square, dogs, extremely, crowded

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.