Dish Advice

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Default Dish Advice

I'm a snowbird and I'm looking at Dish or DirecTV to replace cable. I'll take the box back and forth and just maintain one plan. Up north I'll have several hookups, but TV is too busy for TV (double entendre) so just one connection here. When I called they suggested to wait and sign-up in NY because of the multiple hookups. However prices are typically higher in NY and taxes on the monthly bill are also likely to be higher. Anyone have experience?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Sage

I just signed with dish $51 mo, I can take the box with me when I travel in my RV.

They install tomorrow, let's see how it goes.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Default dish

had dish worse move i ever made then to rid them cost me 438 dollars
think twice. comcast no bargin either if you have brighthouse go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal :-) View Post
I'm a snowbird and I'm looking at Dish or DirecTV to replace cable. I'll take the box back and forth and just maintain one plan. Up north I'll have several hookups, but TV is too busy for TV (double entendre) so just one connection here. When I called they suggested to wait and sign-up in NY because of the multiple hookups. However prices are typically higher in NY and taxes on the monthly bill are also likely to be higher. Anyone have experience?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Sage

I had bright house for 15 minutes, asked them to pull it.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:45 PM

If you are a snowbird and leave your TV plan connected in your home why not look at a Slingbox.
You connect to your TV box and internet at home and then get your TV signal on your laptop while in The Villages - your home remote appears on your laptop and you operate exactly as at home. You can of course connect your laptop to your Television
Old 02-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal :-) View Post
We've done this with our two DirecTV receivers for a couple of years and it works out fine. We already had their service in OH before starting to come down to TV. I never considered what the cost differential might be of having our billing address in OH vs. FL - we've just left it as-is in OH.

Not sure what you're meaning exactly by "several hookups". Will you have multiple receivers in NY but only bring one of them down to FL? If that's the case, I believe you'll probably need to initiate the service in NY. Also, I remember that DirecTV was concerned about whether or not I was wanting to have simultaneous service in both OH and FL (which we weren't wanting to have). It needs to be a "one place or the other" thing to keep them happy given it's just one account. So if you tell them you're only going to take one receiver out of several to FL with you, they might have some concerns.

Bill
Old 02-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Veteran member

I have Dish, the complete Joey and Hooper setup. I bring my down when I come, change my local address to TV while I am here to get the local channels, and when I get back to TN change my address back to get my TN locals.

Works like a charm.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Gold member

I have had Comcast, Directv, and Dish since I have lived in TV.

Comcast was first. Still have them for internet and basic cable on a couple of outlets. (Reduces the internet rate if you have basic cable.) I look at this as a necessary evil. At this moment I am looking at 7 computers. Also have two iPads, phones that connect to wifi, Wii that connects to wifi, Dish box that connects to wifi, and on and on.

I signed up for Directv when I bought a motorhome about two years ago that had an expensive but very effective dish on the roof that got the Directv signal just as good as home, including HD. Worked great except for an occasional campsite that had trees blocking a clear view to southern skies.I was happy with Directv and would recommend them unless you have a motorhome and park under trees. Or have a motorhome with a dome antenna system - there are none of that type that can receive a Directv HD signal.

So now I have Dish - mainly because I bought another motorhome and it has one of those dome antenna systems that cannot get HD on Directv, but can get it on the Dish network. (Something about the satellites being low on the horizon.) I also bought an automatic portable antenna for those times when I am under a tree. BTW - the dome system isn't cheap, but it does track the satellites as you drive down the highway. I have never watched TV while driving but Interstate 10 through Texas does get pretty boring.

I am happy with Dish so far. We were in Kentucky for about two months and I called them to change service so I could get local channels - they did it with no problem. In fact we also got charged Kentucky taxes for that time. The service seems to be on the same level as Directv, the package we got has plenty of channels to watch and most of what we watch is in HD.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I just signed with dish $51 mo, I can take the box with me when I travel in my RV.

They install tomorrow, let's see how it goes.
Jimbo, let us know how you make out. I'm lean toward Dish for the commercial skipping, prime time anytime, and the Sling feature.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:52 PM

Unfortunately, no Brighthouse available in my area. $438 ??? You must have cancelled in the first month. If you sign-on I think you have to play it out. That's their plan, if you quit early you lose big time and they make out for giving up a customer to the competition. As a consumer, we always lose.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 PM

Good plan, but you need internet in both locations. I have Cable Internet in NY. I also have a Slingbox attached there. But I suspend Internet service when I come down here. It's Time Warner there and Comcast here. When I came down in Oct, I tried to suspend Comcast for two months (Nov-Dec) and they said minimum 90 days, once a year. That's why I'm looking at Dish. The Dish Network folks suggested the same solution, since Slingbox is built into their box. Unfortunately that means I have to pay for double Internet service. Up North I have 10Meg down, 1 meg up and I suspect it wouldn't work well anyway.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Sage

I called Mark, he set it up, really surprised they run a hard credit check to get the service.

His # is 813.695.8824, I have 3 TV ports and over 200 stations.

Didn't need Internet have Verizon 4G on my phone
Old 02-18-2013, 09:15 PM

Thanks for response Bill-n-. It's good to know it works. I was really interested in the cost since they recommended waiting. I really wanted to get it now.

By "Hookups", I meant main TV and several other rooms, Bedroom, Den, etc. I really don't understand it, but I think the Dish Network Joeys are simple standalone boxes. I'm still learning. I'm think one main box, which is 2 TB, and supports Prime Time anytime (records primetime on all 4 major networks, plus two more tuners) is more than enough. I was assuming only one location. We own both homes (no renting) and we'll only be one place at a time, no double dipping. My kids could be here on their own sometime, but the antenna is fine for them. Surprisingly, I get about over 30 channels from the Terk indoor antenna on the end table. Only NBC is unavailable.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 PM

Jimbo ~~

We are seriously considering DISH for everything... Phone/Internet/Cable TV. I know you mentioned that you are not using DISH for internet, but just wondering if you think that their internet service would be good for heavy internet surfing/online gaming (hubbie's past time when not out doing fun stuff!).

To be honest, I am so D-O-N-E with these monster cable companies. I have Cox out here in San Diego, and they just raised my rates from $209 to $243 PER MONTH (bundle package). When I called to complain, they said that all the cable companies are raising their rates and it was a take it or leave it situation. If I wasn't moving to TV in the next 90 days, I would have told them to pound sand!

Angie
Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 PM

Bogey, I'm with you. I have all the toys too. Laptops, Tablets, Phones.... Last count, I had 16 devices on my network. Roku, GoogleTV, HTPC, TV apps, WSireless Printer, Bluray player, etc. That's bad enough, I'm glad I don't have an RV too. But I'm glad to hear you are doing well with Dish, and that it's simply to switch local channels. I think I'll be able to make two locations work.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.