Don't believe it alice !!!!!

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2014, 09:34 PM
TOTV Moderator

A gentle reminder to return to the original topic...traffic/work zone sign management in The Villages.

Thank you.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
I was a Department of Transportation employee for 35 years and involved in many highway construction projects. We operated under a hard and fast rule that no traffic control signs should be left in place that gave incorrect or misleading information. Can anyone tell me why there have been four left lane closure signs on El Camino Real near Freedom Point when there has been no work at that site for over a week. I see drivers obeying the signs moving to the right lanes only to find there is no closures nor work taking place and this goes on 24 hours a day.. First , the contractor who erected the signs should have taken them down and just as important, where are our county highways officials who should be overseeing thie work that was done.
Good post Warren. As you said, for road construction projects it is required that construction signs be removed when they are not being used. Having signs warning of a lane closure, when there is no lane closure, is misleading to the motorist and can be a cause of accidents. It can also contribute to general disregard of work zone signing. Whatever agency is monitoring the contractor is not doing their job. Let us know if you get to talk to someone in charge.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Gold member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Good post Warren. As you said, for road construction projects it is required that construction signs be removed when they are not being used. Having signs warning of a lane closure, when there is no lane closure, is misleading to the motorist and can be a cause of accidents. It can also contribute to general disregard of work zone signing. Whatever agency is monitoring the contractor is not doing their job. Let us know if you get to talk to someone in charge.
Thanks Mickey for the support that a lot of folk just cannot comprehend. I guarantee you that if this misleading signage was paced on 27/441, you could open a salvage yard with all the accidents that would occur. Those that don't see bumper to bumper traffic should travel on 27/441 between Sams and WalMart. Combine these factors together with the higher than usual age of Village drivers, you have a potential for many fender benders. Any construction forman worth his salary would not have allowed those signs to be up over night , let alone 10 days without any work. Fromexperience, I can assure you that improper signage can be a serious problem and has actually caused deaths.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

This is a 45 minute television program, but I found it very worth while

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyzF4JPEmAE]Don't Drive Here in Manila [EPISODE 4] [Discovery Channel] [EN] - YouTube[/ame]
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:16 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
This is a 45 minute television program, but I found it very worth while

Don't Drive Here in Manila [EPISODE 4] [Discovery Channel] [EN] - YouTube
Quoted to show link.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.