Don't stop on roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Default Don't stop on roundabouts

Twice during my cycle ride today people on the roundabout I was approaching stopped to let me on it

While this may seem to be a nice thing to do, it is very dangerous for everyone

People coming round behind you will not expect you to stop on the roundabout (and it is probably illegal to do so unless you have to) so could easily run in to the back of you

As the cyclist, I cannot be certain that you are actually stopping for me, or that people on the other lane of the roundabout will also stop, so the safest thing for me to do is give way as is intended

So thank you for doing what you thought was best for me, but in reality it is best if everyone obeys the rules of the road: if you are on the roundabout, keep going, and if you are approaching a roundabout be prepared to give way

safe driving, everyone
Old 11-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Platinum member

Great advice.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post
Twice during my cycle ride today people on the roundabout I was approaching stopped to let me on it

While this may seem to be a nice thing to do, it is very dangerous for everyone

People coming round behind you will not expect you to stop on the roundabout (and it is probably illegal to do so unless you have to) so could easily run in to the back of you

As the cyclist, I cannot be certain that you are actually stopping for me, or that people on the other lane of the roundabout will also stop, so the safest thing for me to do is give way as is intended

So thank you for doing what you thought was best for me, but in reality it is best if everyone obeys the rules of the road: if you are on the roundabout, keep going, and if you are approaching a roundabout be prepared to give way

safe driving, everyone
Very nicely written I've been out there and have experienced the same gesture.I'd like to add one other thing.While driving a car down a four lane road(two in each direction) if you see a me or any other cyclist please if it safe to do so move as far to the left as you can.I'm doing my best to stay on the shoulder but it's not always possible.There are storm drains and various debris I have to navigate around. Thanks!!
Old 11-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Sage

Yes it is good advice, Cybermuda. Compliments to you also for recognizing and acknowledging the good intentions of those who stopped improperly.

Rather than just jumping all over people who meant well but were unfamiliar with the proper procedure, you explained with thoughtful kindness.

I want to be like that when I grow up. Please accept my virtual hug.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I think we have all forgotte the rules of the road for walking, cycling etc. Would not hurt if once or twice a year the rules got mentioned. Espicaly since the custome may vary by the part of the country you are from.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Founder

Another danger in stopping to wave somebody across, or in, or between is that you may stop.....but the other cars around you will not. If you stop in the right lane to wave a bike out, what about the cars coming around in the left lane.

If you have the right of way, keep it.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Very nicely written I've been out there and have experienced the same gesture.I'd like to add one other thing.While driving a car down a four lane road(two in each direction) if you see a me or any other cyclist please if it safe to do so move as far to the left as you can.I'm doing my best to stay on the shoulder but it's not always possible.There are storm drains and various debris I have to navigate around. Thanks!!
I believe Florida law requires cars and trucks give bicyclists three feet. If I can't pass you with three feet of clearance I will slow down until I can. To my dismay, I have seen many instances of drivers not doing this.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
I believe Florida law requires cars and trucks give bicyclists three feet. If I can't pass you with three feet of clearance I will slow down until I can. To my dismay, I have seen many instances of drivers not doing this.
Thanks for acknowledging the problem.Wish more folks were aware of this law.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.