Door to Door Solicitation under false pretense

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
I thought Florida was a 2 party state, meaning both parties have to know they’re recording audio, or is that only for the phone?
I’ve seen people actually go to jail for not telling the other party they were recording.
I believe in public you may video and record anything as long as you are standing on a public space (i.e. sidewalk). If you are on your own property, may be different? If anyone knows please pass the info on.
Old 06-26-2023, 10:39 AM

If you see solicitors going door to door in your area, please contact Community Standards at (352) 751-3912 as solicitation is not permitted in The Villages.
Old 06-26-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Use GROUND CLEAR with the spray wond. Kills everything so be careful.
WOW! Is that how to get rid of solicitors? What a neat product it must be.
Old 06-26-2023, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,195 Times in 839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyN View Post
If you see solicitors going door to door in your area, please contact Community Standards at (352) 751-3912 as solicitation is not permitted in The Villages.
I wish people would stop posting this wrong opinion. Solicitation is permitted. Certain solicitors are required to get a permit from the county, some are not. People giving information and not selling anything are not solicitors which is why roofers can offer a free roof inspection. Charities and political parties are exempt from all restrictions.
Old 06-26-2023, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,000 Times in 5,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I wish people would stop posting this wrong opinion. Solicitation is permitted. Certain solicitors are required to get a permit from the county, some are not. People giving information and not selling anything are not solicitors which is why roofers can offer a free roof inspection. Charities and political parties are exempt from all restrictions.
If solicitation is permitted, why does The Villages post no soliciting signs at the entrances to some villages? There is a sign at the Rt 466A entrance to Pine Hills and Pine Ridge.

Also, I don't know about county permits, but the State of Florida has a law that requires a permit for any soliciting.
Old 06-26-2023, 05:34 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,214 Times in 471 Posts

I have a ring doorbell and I will tape anything I want on my property and I do not give a damn who or what doesn’t like it. It is part of my security system.
Old 06-26-2023, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,195 Times in 839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If solicitation is permitted, why does The Villages post no soliciting signs at the entrances to some villages? There is a sign at the Rt 466A entrance to Pine Hills and Pine Ridge.

Also, I don't know about county permits, but the State of Florida has a law that requires a permit for any soliciting.
And you're wrong. The state of Florida has a law that requires a permit for some soliciting and specifically exempts any permit requirement for many other forms. Google is your friend, as is reading comprehension. I'll do the first for you

Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine

When you read it you might glean that permits are obtained at the county level for those non-exempt forms of solicitation. No solicitation signs are meaningless unless they are posted on privately owned streets. Again you can google this question any way you like and will learn the facts about Florida law and door to door solicitation.
Old 06-26-2023, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,548 Times in 2,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
I have a ring doorbell and I will tape anything I want on my property and I do not give a damn who or what doesn’t like it. It is part of my security system.
Record the wrong people at the wrong time and you will be explaining to the State of Florida that you don't give a damn they don't like it.

No, not likely to happen, but it would be interesting to see how your tough talk stacks up against State and Federal law.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-26-2023, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,000 Times in 5,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
And you're wrong. The state of Florida has a law that requires a permit for some soliciting and specifically exempts any permit requirement for many other forms. Google is your friend, as is reading comprehension. I'll do the first for you

Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine

When you read it you might glean that permits are obtained at the county level for those non-exempt forms of solicitation. No solicitation signs are meaningless unless they are posted on privately owned streets. Again you can google this question any way you like and will learn the facts about Florida law and door to door solicitation.
You didn't really answer my question. If solicitation is permitted, why does The Villages have "no soliciting" signs at the entrance gates? I think that is why people continue to post that soliciting is not permitted.
Old 06-27-2023, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,770 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post

Because it is an attempt to dissuade soliciting. Nothing more.

The streets and sidewalks belong to the county. Driveways belong to the homeowners. Community watch, or "The Villages" has no authority to tell anyone that they cannot be in either of those places.
Old 06-27-2023, 06:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Because it is an attempt to dissuade soliciting. Nothing more.

The streets and sidewalks belong to the county. Driveways belong to the homeowners. Community watch, or "The Villages" has no authority to tell anyone that they cannot be in either of those places.
The Villa streets aren't owned by the county. Weird, but true.
Closed Thread

Tags
door, spectrum, inspect, back, cable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.