Downed trees in Sabal Chase

Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Veteran member
Default Downed trees in Sabal Chase

Last night I was coming home around midnight and along Canal Street there were several uprooted trees. It started at the Stillwater gate where the tree in the middle island was uprooted and leaning over Canal Street. By the Virginia Trace mail boxes, a large tree was split and the branches were all over. We rode around a few of the streets off Canal and there were several more trees uprooted.
Does anyone know what happened?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac9 View Post
Last night I was coming home around midnight and along Canal Street there were several uprooted trees. It started at the Stillwater gate where the tree in the middle island was uprooted and leaning over Canal Street. By the Virginia Trace mail boxes, a large tree was split and the branches were all over. We rode around a few of the streets off Canal and there were several more trees uprooted.
We had some lulu winds again last evening and a LOT of lightening. The rug near my front door was absolutely soaked again and it hardly ever gets wet because the porch protects it. A lot of gusty blowing rain whipping across roofs and pummeling trees. We lost power for seconds, enough that everything had to reboot.

This time no water in house. They fixed the points of entry after the mini pool we had near window after Tropical Storm Debbie.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Gold member

I wasn't in that part of TV, but from watching the radar, I'm not surprised. I watched the storm approach our Hemingway bubble and split into a southern and northern branch. We got nothing but a few drops and distant lightning in Hemingway but from the radar image it looked like other parts of TV got some real storms.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 AM

We are in PA now - but live in Sabal Chase - @ intersection of Odell Circle and Canal Street, near VA Trace - can someone tell me how things are in my neighborhood?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac9 View Post
Do you think the wind might have blown? What else could have caused them trees to be uprooted and leaning?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycenemetz View Post
We are in PA now - but live in Sabal Chase - @ intersection of Odell Circle and Canal Street, near VA Trace - can someone tell me how things are in my neighborhood?
my homewatch person contacted those who had issues, peace of mind
Old 07-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Veteran member

Joycemetz, I live not too far from you. I think that most of the damage was in Virginia Trace. No trees down near your intersection.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:50 PM

Thank You mac9!
Old 07-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Sage

I saw 2 uprooted oaks in the median on Morse today - south of Lake Sumter Landing.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Platinum member

I live in Virginia Trace & we had quite a storm at our house! One bolt of lightning made me want to check my roof to make sure we weren't hit. The lightning split one of the big old oaks on the #2 hole of the Virginia course.

I received this email today about the damage:

I know a lot of residents are wanting to know what happened yesterday (July 4th).

Here's what I learned from the District Manager that the weather event we had yesterday was called a "microburst". It seems like a tornado but not as destructive and can not be predicted.

I am thankful that the only damage seems to be trees knocked down and a lot of debris all over .... Some minor damage to a lamp post and some curbing but at least no damages to houses or people that I am aware of ....

Cordially,

Sally Moss
District 6 Supervisor

When I lived in Utah we would have microburst incidents that would take out houses & barns and leave everything around them relatively untouched. The way I understand it, tornadoes travel in a line & are predictable, but microbursts happen in a specific area & are unpredictable.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida

Last edited by uujudy; 07-05-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Removing a phone number
Old 07-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Gold member

We were at Cody's when the storm hit and it was wild to say the least. It was about the worst storm we witnessed in the 10 yrs of being here in TV. Heavy rain and the wind was quite strong causing the outside patio tables to flip and several patio umbrella's were airborne. Got to admit that it was pretty scarey.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Veteran member
Default Clean sweep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
We were at Cody's when the storm hit and it was wild to say the least. It was about the worst storm we witnessed in the 10 yrs of being here in TV. Heavy rain and the wind was quite strong causing the outside patio tables to flip and several patio umbrella's were airborne. Got to admit that it was pretty scarey.
I thought the peanut shells were all gone ,,, now i know the reason!! I bet Big Mike the bartender was hiding under a table!! glad all are safe!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Trees, peanut shells and airborn umbrellas can all be cleaned up. I am just glad to know that all were safe. Hope no one was trying to make it home in a golf cart during those winds!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 07-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Default Thanks uujudy ...That explains it

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
I live in Virginia Trace & we had quite a storm at our house! One bolt of lightning made me want to check my roof to make sure we weren't hit. The lightning split one of the big old oaks on the #2 hole of the Virginia course.

I received this email today about the damage:

I know a lot of residents are wanting to know what happened yesterday (July 4th).

Here's what I learned from the District Manager that the weather event we had yesterday was called a "microburst". It seems like a tornado but not as destructive and can not be predicted.

I am thankful that the only damage seems to be trees knocked down and a lot of debris all over .... Some minor damage to a lamp post and some curbing but at least no damages to houses or people that I am aware of ....

Cordially,

Sally Moss
District 6 Supervisor

When I lived in Utah we would have microburst incidents that would take out houses & barns and leave everything around them relatively untouched. The way I understand it, tornadoes travel in a line & are predictable, but microbursts happen in a specific area & are unpredictable.
Thanks for posting. It explains why so much damage.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.