Drive defensively out there!

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2023, 05:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
They are "potentially dangerous" to themselves...

Especially when they step off the curb (not at a crosswalk) with their face buried in their phone, not paying attention to the car/bike/cart that can't possibly stop in time...
Not to worry. They will soon be extinct.
Veteran member

When you are under 25 nothing bad can happen to you. You are invincible. When you are 35 you realize that you need to be careful driving and in order to protect your children and spouse you try not to speed too much except on long trips. When you are 45 you start to slow down a bit and begin to notice local crashes and injuries. By 55 you sense that it is becoming more dangerous out there and you better be careful! Then you turn 65 and drive like crazy in your golf cart and speed in your car around the roundabouts in the Villages. Around 75 you see nothing but danger out there. Threats are all around. Golf carts, pedestrians, bicyclists, other cars are all out to get you. At 85 you know you will die if you drive too much so you stay home. By 95 most stay home and the few who are still out there driving are a real threat to everyone else. Oh to be 25 again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
Too bad you sold your Goldwing. I am 76 and still enjoy riding my BMW RT. I think riding was just as dangerous when we were younger but many of us become very risk adverse as we age. We weren’t that way when we were younger. I ride ATGATT too. (“All The Gear AllThe Time.”) By the way if there is another sport touring biker out there who likes to ride locally send me a message. I like to ride in small groups.
"ATGATT too. (“All The Gear AllThe Time.”)" So, unrelated to DNA Ligase gene sequence. :-)
Old 05-09-2023, 05:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
"ATGATT too. (“All The Gear AllThe Time.”)" So, unrelated to DNA Ligase gene sequence. :-)
Correct! But if it were related it would be good to know that “The ATGATT sequence does not mediate the cell cycle regulation of a heterologous gene.”
Old 05-09-2023, 08:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Not to worry. They will soon be extinct.
So will we...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-09-2023, 10:44 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
As have the number of "potentially dangerous" automobile drivers, bicycle riders and pedestrians...
This is true
Old 05-10-2023, 08:08 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Can anyone help me understand what this sentence means?
Ten years ago the roads were more dangerous than they are today.

Glad to help.
Old 05-10-2023, 09:05 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I don't drive around TV in the car unless I have to and I'm amazed at the number of light poles that are wiped out at the roundabouts on Buena Vista. Should I be?
Old 05-10-2023, 12:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
Ten years ago the roads were more dangerous than they are today.
Yeah, I think that was the observation the other poster was trying to make. Thanks for explaining that to me.

We find the roads in TV to be plenty safe and we have learned how to handle the places that we think are a little dangerous.

We are not looking forward to the increased traffic that will be on Powell Road because of the new housing being built in that area. We go to that area a lot, so I guess we will have to figure out a good way to deal with the traffic. I almost caused an accident there last week while making a turn onto Powell Road, so I sure won't do that again.

Last edited by VApeople; 05-10-2023 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-10-2023, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Add alcohol to driving and it becomes a disaster waiting to happen. I have to wonder also, how many drivers actually took Drivers Ed. since applications taught are rarely seen here. Like stopping and yielding and lane-changing. IF you turn left always look both ways twice or more before going. NOT stopping or yielding is what is dangerous. Add in all the other infractions and it might lead to serious injury or death!! People will argue points given rather than conceeding that they quite honestly might be wrong. Speed is also a factor. JUST because y'all did it where you moved here from doesn't make it right.
Drivers ed. Truth I DID. Further TRUTH it was 55 years ago. I also wonder how many here could pass the written test for a learner's permit let alone a road test.
Conceding that they might be wrong? Not in the real world. Posts on this thread or any other. A post saying I didn't realize I was wrong-thanks for making me aware. Sadly would be a shock to any readers.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, cross, god, drive, vapors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.