Showcase of Quilts Today and Saturday

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2015, 08:08 AM
Gold member
Default Showcase of Quilts Today and Saturday

Unless I’ve missed it this morning, there is no Daily Sun coverage for the Villages Quilt Guild Showcase today and tomorrow at the Savannah Center. We take over the entire building and this is a spectacular show plus vendors, demos, boutique, silent auction, etc. The quilts are better than ever. $7 at the door.

Friday 9-5, Jan. 23rd
Saturday 9-4, Ja. 24th

Free shuttle from Saddlebrook Rec Center on Friday only

Please spread the word to anyone you may know who might be interested.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Thursday Jan 21.
Section D, Page 4
Old 01-23-2015, 10:43 AM

when there is no fee to enter and shop people will go. when you charge to enter. you are asking people to pay just to buy. yes i know, they get to look at all the pretty things. so the sellers think the public are stupid.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:32 AM

I've gone most years and the quilts are amazing. I pay to go to many museum art shows so why not here. wish I was walking well enough to attend this year, maybe next
Old 01-23-2015, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
when there is no fee to enter and shop people will go. when you charge to enter. you are asking people to pay just to buy. yes i know, they get to look at all the pretty things. so the sellers think the public are stupid.
Really?

Maybe you should visit here before being so critical.
http://www.qgotv.org/Charities.html
Old 01-23-2015, 01:02 PM

I saw the ad in the Rec news and was looking forward to going, then found out it would cost DH and I $14.00 to go. It's nearing the end of the month and its just not in the budget. Maybe we'll get there next time.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:10 PM

Just a little clarification. It does cost $7/person to go INSIDE the auditorium of Savannah Center and see the 300+ quilts, all made by Villagers, plus many historical quilts with "stories" are presented on the stage of SC. BUT you can go to Savannah Center and for NO FEE, you can wander around the massive lobby, go into the side rooms and see many amazing smaller quilts, vendors displaying many quilt items and even buy things if you choose. So there is part of this quilt show that is free and open to the public.

This show is put on every two years, and The Quilt Guild of The Villages works the whole two years to put it together. There are costs involved, and any proceeds go to charity (I believe). It's a 2 day event, and I went today where the crowds were quite heavy. Saturday should be smaller crowds and parking available at Savannah Center (9 am - 4 pm) as no shuttle is being offered on Saturday. Come out and see some amazing quilts and handiwork. There is much talent here PLUS some quilts are marked "For Sale."
Old 01-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Went past the parking lot at noon and it was jammed. Must be a lot of "stupids", or maybe the fee helps keep out the uninterested and provides the show with a quality audience. The latter , I think.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
My wife attended today and said the place was "mobbed." They had great displays, vendors, demonstrations, and hundreds of the most beautiful quilts she had ever seen. The public knows a good thing when they see it.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
There are many ways people spend their money in pursuit of enjoyment or entertainment. There are a limited few that are truly and objectively stupid.

I don't sew. My wife sews, but doesn't quilt. We both enjoyed seeing the artistry and beauty in the quilts on display. I certainly don't feel stupid for having paid for the experience.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:43 AM
Gold member
Default Nice article today on the front page

Yes, the QGOTV supports charity. But, it is NOT true that you can go in the lobby and look around without paying the $7 entry fee.

Most of the quilts on display are in the theater room, filling the entire floor.

The lobby holds the Challenge Quilts (small quilts presenting the theme of the show this year - "Quilting in Paradise"), Chinese Auction, Silent Auction, Appraiser table, and the Charity Quilt (a beautiful king-size quilt made by one of the Quilt Guild Chapters for which raffle tickets are sold).

3 other rooms hold vendors (quilt fabric, supplies, etc), a boutique (items made by guild chapters and members) and a demo area.

Antique quilts (with members periodically reading their provenance and interesting facts about the quilts) are on the stage.

Putting on the show is a HUGE undertaking that requires many, many volunteer hours. Everyone I've spoken to has been in awe of the beautiful quilts this year. Seem to get better and better every show.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.