Driverless taxi - none too soon

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2018, 11:13 AM

As well as the rounabouts, how will a driverless car navigate the gate system?
Old 01-16-2018, 12:24 PM
Veteran member

The Villages in San Jose, Ca also has roundabouts and golf carts, so they must have figured out that aspect. Presently, in their test in California, they don’t venture outside the Villages, so I don’t think they need to deal with gates. That might be a challenge. It’s possible Voyager would offer to upgrade the gates to also recognize window stickers. That would be awesome for all of us.

I signed up in hopes of being in their trial. They have limited the Villages which are in the first test to those around Lake Sumter. As far as I can tell it’s those between 466 and 466A.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arickis View Post
By going through the manned gates I would guess. There are some areas that can not be reached by going through a manned gate, so I guess the cars would not go there. At least not for this test phase that we are hearing about.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:21 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

I discussed Voyage initial test operations and their future goals in the Villages with a Voyage representative today at the VHA Hoedown. Their plans include becoming a permanent service in the villages providing taxi services for less.

During the yearlong testing phase, a driver and technician will be in the car to monitor all systems. Eventually, test drives will encompass all of TV. At some point in late 2018 or in 2019 the cars will not need Voyage people monitors in the cars.

They hope to have a fleet of 5 to 10 Chrysler Pacifica Minivans for their self-driving taxi service in TV. The goal is to charge 20% less than Uber or other competitors.

It will take time for all things to work out. I do believe that safe and inexpensive transportation for those in need of that service in TV may come from this futuristic concept.

https://voyage.auto/community/the-villages-florida/

Last edited by twoplanekid; 01-27-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,154 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arickis View Post
The gate system should not be a problem, each taxi would be equipped with a gate access card. However, if the card reader does not work, TV may need to work with the taxi company for a work around, since there would not be a driver to press the red button.

I have had success having many readers pick up my card without the need to put down the window, but not all of them, so it appears there maybe some sensitivity issues.

On a side note, I wonder if the "driver" and technician will get hazardous duty pay until these vehicles understand TV and TV drivers......
Old 01-27-2018, 08:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomar View Post
this is just another step in the evolution.....not a final product. That's why there is a driver. Like very advance there will be failures, disasters and advances. Remember the airplane, the first cars, the space stuff. All had shortcomings and dangers, this is no different in my view. By the time it becomes common i suspect most of us won't be here to see it......or at least remember what the heck it is....
Old 01-28-2018, 07:28 AM

Best of luck to Mr Robot trying to drive safely around here.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Since the car will have sensors and automatic breaking, will be safer than some who get behind the wheel in TV. Drivers in many parts of Florida drive the same as in TV, it’s an older driver population.

Thinking of applying for the observation driver, just for shi*s and giggles. Guess it would be out of the question to try to convince riders that the car is haunted with those who have made bad driving choices in their past life, and have become civil servents and used all their help vouchers. (Reference Beetle juice movie)

Tags
concept, hopeful, drive, can’t, beneficial

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.