Driverless Taxi in The Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2020, 08:10 AM
Sage

You don't have to solve that problem for autonomous driving to be a huge benefit. There will always be situations with only bad outcomes. The promise, and potential, of autonomous driving is a big decrease in accidents in general and a big decrease in situations that only have bad outcomes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
If God wanted us to have driverless cars he would have invented taxis. In all seriousness the trouble with driverless cars is that the programmers will never figure out the potential of any situation I can possibly think of. The old morality question oh which lane to Swerve to when there are cars in both lanes one of which has six children the other lane has a bus what's 50 people is not solvable
Old 08-27-2020, 09:04 AM

Has anyone been in the Round Abouts with some of the drivers here?? Many of the cars should be equipped with computers or monkey drivers, we would all be much safer! Ha!
Old 08-27-2020, 09:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
Last I heard it couldn't figure out the round-a-bouts. Driverless cars nationwide has been a pipe dream. Billions wasted on glorified cruise control. Impossible to duplicate the human eye and brain.
Hardly impossible. It's only a matter of time. Kids today will see fully functional androids within their lifetime.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:36 AM
Wink Luddites despair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
More clueless posts from those that don't understand the technology, of course they probably don't fly or go on cruise ships either. The good news is the generations behind us will accept it, we don't need to.
The technology nay sayers and outright luddites will need to face the fact that even now computers can do a better job driving than many people. In a short time they will out perform any human. Resistance is futile. 🖖🏼
Old 08-27-2020, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Waymo has been quite successful within the geomapped areas they operate. They still have a "driver" on board but they essentially operate autonomously. The Holy Grail is completely autonomous driving without having to geomap the area. Probably 10 years out for urban areas - the most difficult. Tesla's Autopilot (non-geomapped) driving on highways is becoming pretty good but still not quite there yet - drivers must still keep their hands on the wheel. Go test drive a Tesla and you will be surprised. The advantage of autonomous driving is the elimination of the mistakes by people. Computers don't become distracted, like people do, and they don't drink. Accident rates should drop as it goes mainstream. Regarding duplicating the human brain, I remember when it was assumed that a computer chess program could never defeat a Grandmaster. Look how that turned out.
Very informative, kudos.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
More clueless posts from those that don't understand the technology, of course they probably don't fly or go on cruise ships either. The good news is the generations behind us will accept it, we don't need to.
Good philosophic overview.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
You mean instructions such as stay in the lane, stop for stop signs and stop lights, maintain distance from the car in front, change lanes when it is clear to do so, observe the speed limit, etc. You know, the things that people do. You might want to use Google to find out how autonomous systems actually work. Tesla uses a neural network trained by data collected by the Tesla fleet of cars.
So far your's is the only poat that actually teaches the reader anything. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-27-2020, 11:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
About a year ago there was an attempt to get a driverless taxi into The Villages. Saw the car several times "being trained". Haven't seen any recent activity or updates. Anyone know what happened?
Thanks for the update, but I never gave it any thought why we haven't heard anything about the driverless cars except I thought may they must of passed the test. Hope everybody in Golf Cart was OK. Seriously I can't believe our govt. would approve of these driverless cars when we are forced to get buy Ins. even if we've never had an accident. I would be more worried about the other person running into a driverless car! But thanks for the update
Old 08-27-2020, 01:35 PM

In 1951 when I was born, space travel was in comic books, only Dick Tracey had a phone on his wrist, and computers filled large rooms. The hardware and software in computers is still evolving at a tremendous pace. Personally, I look forward to when all cars are driverless as it will help me live independently in 20 years and keep me safe from many of the idiots (alcohol induced or lack of common sense) who drive carelessly on the road.
Closed Thread

Tags
driverless, taxi, villages, recent, trained

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.