Drivers License

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Sage

Driver's license good for 12 years??? Oh my. Sounds like a long time. As we all know, we live in a retirement community and say I'm 72 when I renew mine and it's good for 12 years....that means I won't have to go for any eye test or any testing all all until I'm 84!! Not so sure it's a safe practice. After a certain age we should be required to be tested more often. I think I'm hijacking this forum....sorry
Old 02-08-2012, 11:33 AM

I am going to do this in March so I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row. The DMV site talks about a trip to the Tax Collectors office for titling purposes. At what point would this be done ?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Driver's license good for 12 years??? Oh my. Sounds like a long time. As we all know, we live in a retirement community and say I'm 72 when I renew mine and it's good for 12 years....that means I won't have to go for any eye test or any testing all all until I'm 84!! Not so sure it's a safe practice. After a certain age we should be required to be tested more often. I think I'm hijacking this forum....sorry
Twelve years??? I just did mine in late December and it's good for a little over 8 years, no where near 12, and the same 8 year period your NY license was good for! Where did you hear that from? Or was it they thought you looked like you would last 4 years more than I will?

p.s. never mind my question of where did you hear that from. I just found out who it was.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"

Last edited by skyguy79; 02-08-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: p.s. added
Old 02-08-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
Twelve years??? I just did mine in late December and it's good for a little over 8 years, no where near 12, and the same 8 year period your NY license was good for! Where did you hear that from? Or was it they thought you looked like you would last 4 years more than I will?

p.s. never mind my question of where did you hear that from. I just found out who it was.

My mistake it is 8 years! Sorry....<hanging head in shame>....
Suzanne
Old 02-08-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allairenjadea View Post
I am going to do this in March so I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row. The DMV site talks about a trip to the Tax Collectors office for titling purposes. At what point would this be done ?
If you go to 466A office you can do everything there. No need for separate visit to another office. That is unless they change things by March....

suzanne
Old 02-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momesu View Post
My mistake it is 8 years! Sorry....<hanging head in shame>....
Suzanne
Momesu, you don't need to hang your head in shame for that error; pick your head up. There only two reasons good people should hang their head in shame, one to look down and the other I can't mention on this forum!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:32 PM

Just wanted to add a little to this. One poor couple today was coming and going..they didn't have there Social Security cards so husband went home to get them. He couldn't find them, came back thinking the tax return would suffice..nope. Just make sure you have your Card and birth certificate from teh state, not hospital. If you don't have it its easy to order a copy online. Actually had two I had ordered and my mother produced my original one! LOL.

Another biggie where we ran into trouble...when registering a vehicle. You have to have your title for the car (s). We are in the middle of getting them fed exed copies from our finance company who holds them. What a pain. Never and I repeat never have we encountered that. So that came as a shock. Oh and it can take up to a month for this to occur. We got our to expediate the process but still looking at a week...pretty bad since my tags expire next week!!!! And the other vehicle will be going out of state in two week for an extended time. :::
Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Gold member
Default Nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
Dittos! My wife and I had the same exact experience there. I had the male rep directly in line with Wanda, the woman who gave us our waiting ticket and went out to verify the VIN's on our two cars. He was great and when I supervised people who did the same exact job in NYS, I would have loved to have another Rep of his caliper!
Skyguy will you take me and run interference! I'm scarred of the DMV.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
Skyguy will you take me and run interference! I'm scarred of the DMV.
Hey, if I faced 33 years of being afraid of the DMV in NY and one day in FL, you can face the DMV for one day here in Florida.

Besides, how could I run interference when I'd be right behind you!
The Villages Florida
Old 05-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Sage
Default Driver's license experience

Having read the horror stories about getting a Florida license, my husband and I went loaded for bear. We went to the place on 466a in with the library. Much to our surprise, we walked in and there was nobody waiting. We got right in. We needed our NYS drivers license, two proofs of residence, our passport and car insurance card and title. It went smooth as silk and the lady assisting us even had a sense of humor as we joked back and fourth the whole time. I would strongly recommend you have a passport, because I think that made all the difference? They will make you take an eye test, take your picture, take the VIN off your vehicle, take the mileage and ask lots of questions. We had to register my car as well, so it took a bit longer than just getting a license. We were there for about an hour. For us it was a good experience.

Last edited by Happinow; 05-23-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:33 PM

Thanks, for all the information. We are going tomorrow morning and I hope I have everything they are looking for me to bring. Been to their site and have what we need.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Veteran member
Default marion county

When I first arrived here about 1 1/2 yrs ago, my neighbors warned me to NOT use the DMV office on 466,,They said their was substantial "attitude" problems from employees there..I ended up a little north in Marion County on 441 and it was a breeze..DL, Truck, and motorcycle on separate trip..They are a larger office and seem to really have their act together..That said, I saw several people turned away without theirs, due to Not having the EXACT paperwork required..No exceptions..Good luck, I think the office here is no different from others I have been to in Pa...
Old 05-23-2012, 10:33 PM

Location on Hwy 441 is Spruce Creek Plaza. Across street from Wal-Mart behind McDonalds. You can do both there also, DL and register you auto.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

What was the $500 for transfer of plates?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Having read the horror stories about getting a Florida license, my husband and I went loaded for bear. We went to the place on 466a in with the library. Much to our surprise, we walked in and there was nobody waiting. We got right in. We needed our NYS drivers license, two proofs of residence, our passport and car insurance card and title.
Earlier this month I renewed my NYS license and upgraded to their "Enhanced Driver's License," which requires proof of US citizenship. I reviewed the list of documentation requirements, and went to the DMV with more docs than I needed. I zipped through, and the clerk didn't even look at half of the docs that I brought. Go figure.

Question - how do you produce documentation of Florida residency if you have only been living there for a short period of time, yet you need to secure your FL license within 10 days ?

P.S. - the time period for obtaining the FL license is 30 days. I stand corrected.

Last edited by RichieB; 05-24-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.