driveway construction and insulation question

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Sage
Default driveway construction and insulation question

Noticed that one driveway on one side of the house we are building is a continual slab. On the other there are separate sections. Anyone know why they do one one way and the other the other? What are the benefits of either?

Insulation: Do they put ANY insulation in the attic? Or is that all something you have to do after market. I was noticing they were doing insulation but it didn't look like there was any going in the attic. They haven't finished yet but I want to make sure if there is supposed to be some, it gets in there. If there isn't any, can I ask that they put some?

Thanks for your never ending answers.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Veteran member

The driveways are usually poured as one continuous slab and then are sawed into sections. Yes there is insulation blown into the attic. I think it is R-16 or better. They do not insulate above garage or the lanai, that is something that would have to be done by you if you think it is necessary. Florida requires the builder place a sticker with the insulation information somewhere in the house. Mine is on the air handler (furnace) in the garage.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Sage

Driveway: By "continual slab", do you mean that they do the driveway in one pour versus "separate sections" meaning they do the pours a piece at a time (let one part set up, knock the forms off, do the next part, etc.)?

They'll always have control joints of some sort in driveways, either saw cuts (which would apply to a large section of concrete) or expansion joints (where they'll put some type of material between the sections). Those are the general ways of controlling any cracking that can/will occur as concrete does expand and contract - plus the sub-surface is subject to some amount of movement as well.

Attic insulation: Yes, every house will have adequate insulation per code. Sometimes it will be insulation batts, other times it will be blown in.

Bill
Old 04-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

There really are two kinds of concrete. Concrete that has cracked and concrete that will crack.
I think the continuous poor is the method used in TV and then saw cuts are made......to contain the cracks.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Sage

THANKS. I am thinking that the one house that has the cuts/sections was done a little while ago and the house on the other side of us was just done...so hasn't gotten its cuts yet. Thank you all for your very thorough explanations.

As for the insulation, I thought the insulation would be in the uppermost area. Guess I will have to do that afterwards. I can see it can get really hot up there. Is insulation or a "solar fan" the proper remedy?
Old 04-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Gold member
Default Insulation

I was able with a frame lilac to have the garage walls fully insulated,the ceiling over the garage and the ceiling over the lani durning the build. I also had the garage doors swapped out for solid foam core steel insulated doors.

After the build I had the entire house attic wrapped with radiant heat barrier and extra blow i

Home AC has not kicked on yet. Home holding at 77
Old 04-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
I was able with a frame lilac to have the garage walls fully insulated,the ceiling over the garage and the ceiling over the lani durning the build. I also had the garage doors swapped out for solid foam core steel insulated doors. ........
Herv, how'd you pull that off? Did you arrange/pay for it as part of the construction or did they allow you to go in and do it yourself?

Excellent things for a "garage guy" to want to do!!

Bill
Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
I was able with a frame lilac to have the garage walls fully insulated,the ceiling over the garage and the ceiling over the lani durning the build. I also had the garage doors swapped out for solid foam core steel insulated doors.

After the build I had the entire house attic wrapped with radiant heat barrier and extra blow i

Home AC has not kicked on yet. Home holding at 77
I'm proud of you Herv, always keep the garage high on the list of priorities.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:57 AM
Veteran member

All Driveways and Patios are poured in one shot. They then will come back and put saw cuts in them. No expansion Joints in the driveways in the villages, you will only see that in the sidewalks.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
The driveways are usually poured as one continuous slab and then are sawed into sections. Yes there is insulation blown into the attic. I think it is R-16 or better. They do not insulate above garage or the lanai, that is something that would have to be done by you if you think it is necessary. Florida requires the builder place a sticker with the insulation information somewhere in the house. Mine is on the air handler (furnace) in the garage.
You can insulate the area above the garage and lanai when the house is built. For an extra cost of course.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.