Driveway Options

Old 05-15-2024, 01:15 PM
Default Driveway Options

I know this has been asked before but I can't find any threads. We would like to do something with our driveway. I heard stain is better than paint, true?

I also need reputable companies. 😬

What about the garage being the same to match or will it just get ruined? Thanks!

Last edited by motherflippinpicker; 05-15-2024 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,416 Times in 2,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherflippinpicker View Post
I know this has been asked before but I can't find any threads. We would like to do something with our driveway. I heard stain is better than paint, true?

I also need reputable companies. I'm waiting on a quote from Decorative Concrete but he seems a little rude. 😬

What about the garage being the same to match or will it just get ruined? Thanks!
Do a search on “driveway coatings”, there are several threads.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:41 PM
Veteran member

Flat concrete stain goes on and looks like paint. You will probably need 2 coats for the first time. Just brush and roll it on like any other latex coating. Ever couple of years, just roll on another coat and it looks like new. We use the Behr brand from Home Depot at about $36 per gallon. Looks great. If you go for one of those more expensive decorator design outfits, expect to pay a lot more. And they will likely sell you on yearly powerwashing and"resealing" every year at a few hundred dollars. Not worth it IMO.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,343 Times in 2,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherflippinpicker View Post

I also need reputable companies. 😬

Be careful with "paint", it must be rated for use on concrete and it must be rated for outdoor use. If this is going to be a DIY you will need to very carefully clean the driveway, and power washing may not be sufficient, especially if you have oil or similar stains.

Finally, we had ours 'painted' as did several of the neighbors around 10 years ago. Jay uses a Xylene bases stain (looks like paint) but lasts a long time. Ours is 10 years old and still looks very good, and NO sealing.

You can reach him by calling Home Services Inc, Driveways by Jay, 877-713-2902.

He did our driveway, then managed to match the colors and pattern a few years later when we enlarged the driveway, he also did the birdcage and lanai. We are very happy with his work.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,831 Times in 1,282 Posts

For resale, suggest stickking to colors on the exterior of home and avoid graphical designs.

Tags
driveway, rude, decorative, concrete, waiting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.