Driving is getting frustrating

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Sage
Default Driving is getting frustrating

I know. Another thread on bad drivers but here goes anyways. As I was coming from Morse turning into Sanibel, I was the first car arriving at the residence gait. I noticed the gait was already in the up position. I figured it was broken and nobody had put the "stop" sign out for cars to stop before going through the gait. So, being cautious, I stopped when approaching the gait so as not to continue thus risking hitting any carts that may have wanted to cross. The minute I stopped, the lady behind me laid on her horn. There were probably 3 cars waiting to enter. I rolled down my window and yelled back to her that I was stopping so as not to hit any carts. She continued blowing her horn. Had this woman been the first on through the gait, she would have put lives at risk for not stopping prior to going through the gait. Why was she in such a hurry? Was it worth possibly killing someone to get through that gait without making a stop? Common sense says that if the gait is open when you get there you should stop prior to entering.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Sorry you were so accosted. A friend of me taught me that when an individual behaves such as the one you encountered - it is okay to get out of your car with the keys and walk back to the honker's window - and when open, toss the keys inside and tell them, "You drive it!"

Old 04-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I really don't get all of the horn honkers here. I have never experienced that anywhere we have ever lived before.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Location: Euclid, Ohio--Anahein California--DeLand Florida--Virginia Trace

That's that New York way of life. You can take the Yankee out of New York but you cant take New York out of the Yankee. I believe that "splains" it.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:37 PM
Gold member

You did the right thing.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:39 PM
Veteran member

I must remember that one!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Sorry you were so accosted. A friend of me taught me that when an individual behaves such as the one you encountered - it is okay to get out of your car with the keys and walk back to the honker's window - and when open, toss the keys inside and tell them, "You drive it!"
So the angry driver would have your car keys and you would not? What would stop him from driving off with your keys and leaving you standing there? I do not understand that at all.

As for never experiencing horn honkers, I guess you have never lived in the Washington DC area. Within ONE second of a light turning green, the car in back would be honking for you to move. I have not noticed hardly anyone in The Villages honking. Also, most folks North of 466 have been in The Villages longer than most South of 466A, we have adjusted to the Southern pace of living.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyworld View Post
That's that New York way of life. You can take the Yankee out of New York but you cant take New York out of the Yankee. I believe that "splains" it.
I am a New Yorker. You obviously don't know what you are talking about. I have only heard a couple of times a year someone honking at another driver because they were sleeping at a light change to green.

Now, maybe you are actually talking about NY City. That's another world, it is not considered NY by other members of the state!!!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Sage

Try driving in Israel's cities without a horn. Well that isn't the topic. Usually when a gate is broken and no guard there IS a stop sign. If there is a guard, I assume that the golf carts will be watching as usual to wait for the right of way and that for whatever reason the guard has left the gate up intending that cars proceed without stopping.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:29 PM

Sorry to hear you had to deal with such an idiot. Usually when that happens to me, I'll just sit there a little longer and make them beep more. Probably not right, but I do get a little satisfaction
Old 04-14-2014, 07:58 PM

Dear Cajulian, I was born and raised in NYC, Manhattan, upper east side! In fact, my mother and 3 of my four sisters live in NYC! I take offense to your comment. That is an ignorant thing to say about NY'ers who live in NYC. How would you feels NYC dwellers said anyone who lives outside the 5 boroughs are considered hillbillies?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erijo View Post
Dear Cajulian, I was born and raised in NYC, Manhattan, upper east side! In fact, my mother and 3 of my four sisters live in NYC! I take offense to your comment. That is an ignorant thing to say about NY'ers who live in NYC. How would you feels NYC dwellers said anyone who lives outside the 5 boroughs are considered hillbillies?
Yeah.. but the hillbillies got the good moonshine !!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajulian View Post
I am a New Yorker. You obviously don't know what you are talking about. I have only heard a couple of times a year someone honking at another driver because they were sleeping at a light change to green.

Now, maybe you are actually talking about NY City. That's another world, it is not considered NY by other members of the state!!!

I'm an upstate New Yorker as well and I totally agree with you. In fact we never hear horns blowing. On thing upstate New Yorkers do use is directional signals. Must be that Floridians don't have them installed on their cars...Sheriff's cars included!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erijo View Post
I am NOT from NYC, but, from what I have read, the taxes generated from NYC businesses and workers are the only thing keeping the rest of that state from following the lead of Detroit; bankruptcy. I think it's pretty stupid for one NYer to insult a fellow citizen.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Gold member

Happinow,

Let them honk all day long. If I am taking too long well tough s--t! I won't move any faster. Get over it toots!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.