Driving from PA to TV on Mon. 9/19. Should we cancel?

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2017, 11:00 AM
Default Driving from PA to TV on Mon. 9/19. Should we cancel?

We plan to arrive on Mon. for a 10 day stay in a villa near Lake Deaton. Our main purpose of our visit is to tour open houses for possible purchase next yr. Plus we like to attend the ballroom dance classes and dances.

Does anyone know if the open houses are happening as usual or if the activities are running at the rec centers? It appears two of the squares are back up and running but what about most of the stores and restaurants around TV?

Our main concern is the gas availability around TV and also for the drive down from PA.

We have to decide by tonight or early tomorrow if we want to cancel for our travel insurance to cover the cost of our rental.

We would normally just delay our trip a couple weeks but we have a mother on hospice care, but she is currently stable. However she will most likely go down hill in the weeks ahead, making delaying the trip a few weeks difficult.

Opinions. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:04 AM
Veteran member

The power is supposed to be fully restored by Sunday. Open houses have been going on, and there are plenty of activities.
I think you'll be ok on gas as they have opened up the ports for delivery.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,250 Posts

Come on down, there is plenty to do. There were open houses the day after the storm. We are in the process of cleaning up, but most of that should be done by the time you get down here. A few facilities (golf courses, rec centers, pools) are still closed, but I expect these will be opening very soon. The historic section (north of 441) was hit very hard and may still be experiencing power outages, our area, south of 466a experienced very little damage, no or very short power outages.
We came from PA also.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:36 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Agree.................COME ON DOWN!!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Tango View Post
We plan to arrive on Mon. for a 10 day stay in a villa near Lake Deaton. Our main purpose of our visit is to tour open houses for possible purchase next yr. Plus we like to attend the ballroom dance classes and dances.

Does anyone know if the open houses are happening as usual or if the activities are running at the rec centers? It appears two of the squares are back up and running but what about most of the stores and restaurants around TV?

Our main concern is the gas availability around TV and also for the drive down from PA.

We have to decide by tonight or early tomorrow if we want to cancel for our travel insurance to cover the cost of our rental.

We would normally just delay our trip a couple weeks but we have a mother on hospice care, but she is currently stable. However she will most likely go down hill in the weeks ahead, making delaying the trip a few weeks difficult.

Opinions. Thanks.
Plenty to do, as long as golf isn't one of them.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:08 PM

If my mother was in hospice I would cancell. Spend her last few days with her. JMO
Old 09-14-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipcovers View Post
If my mother was in hospice I would cancell. Spend her last few days with her. JMO
Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like we're being insensitive to our mother. Not the case at all. We've been caring for our elderly parents for over 20 yrs and there is more to the story than I mentioned. Trust me, we're not neglecting our mother. But I totally understand your comment.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:33 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments so far. Our rental property just gave us an extension to Sunday for us to cancel. So we'll have a couple more days to see how everything is going before we have to make a decision.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:03 PM
Gold member

The Villages has a remarkable way of recovering. We had our Lifestyle visit and bought a home during the visit ten years ago a day or two after the big tornado hit. Don't miss out on your opportunity.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

It was in the Daily Sun yesterday that the TV hired an outside contractor to come and pick up all the debris. In our CYV community just about everybody has a brown yard waste bag at the curb and some have several, and yesterday was our normal pickup day. Nobody came and these bags are all sitting around. I guess the contractor will be doing the neighborhoods as well. The paper made it sound like they were going to hit the main roads. It mentioned putting all yard waste at the curb for pickup.

That's the only thing I would say to a visitor is the tons of spanish moss and palm tree debris laying everywhere and that's not normally the case. So if you come Monday and everything is still a mess, it's getting taken care of. With a 10 day stay, everything will probably be back to normal by the end of next week for sure.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:22 PM
Veteran member

Just talked to my family returning from Savanna to The Villages. 95 usual traffic both ways, gas fill-ups not a problem. Most businesses open on 301. Clear sailing.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
Just talked to my family returning from Savanna to The Villages. 95 usual traffic both ways, gas fill-ups not a problem. Most businesses open on 301. Clear sailing.
Thanks SFSkol. That's good to know since a major concern of ours is how the gas supply would be on 95 once we hit Georiga. We usually stop at a hotel overnight right off 95 in Pooler, GA, which is right outside of Savannah.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

You might check with Florida Dept. of Transportation and the Florida Highway Patrol before your journey; I just read where I-75 north of Gainesville may be closed due to rising floodwaters and traffic may have to be re-routed through Jacksonville on I-10.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:32 PM

I would not delay.

There will be plenty to do when you get here.

Golf will be hit and miss while you are here.

If you can make it to Brunswick, GA exit 38 on I 95, I would do so. There is a great restaurant Millhouse Steakhouse and a Holiday Inn next to it. I try to plan my trips there to eat. They open at 4PM. I was there last week and they had a buffet that I did not want so I would check to see if they are back on their regular menu. Buffett was for all the displaced travelers.

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 09-14-2017, 09:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Get gas buddy app.....will help you plan the stops on the way.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
weeks, trip, open, houses, running

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.