Comcast rates gone up?

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts
Default Comcast rates gone up?

My comcast bill went up $20+ for 2009. Is this right?
I'm not there. I may need their customer service number if someone has it handy (My bill is down there too, I just see the autodraft notice)

thank you, as always
Old 01-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Sage

JohnN,

Since you are a relative newbie, you might have been on an initial 90 or 180 day promotional rate and the full rate has kicked in.

I am not aware of any Comcast rate increases and $20 would be way out of line, even for them (the company you love to hate)
Old 01-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Sage

well, it has been 180 days, I'll contact 'em , thanks villages07,
you 're the best
Old 01-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I would call 1 800 COMCAST and pepper in directtv and dishnetwork in the conversation (seriously)......GN
Old 01-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Veteran member

My comcast bill went up from $72 to $111. They said it was an introductory offer. Direct Tv is coming out next week to install. Comcast would not budge
Old 01-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to rsetterlund Send a message via Skype™ to rsetterlund

OpusX1, Please let us all know what you think of the service after it is installed and the price comparison. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Gold member

we are going to dump Comcast... our phone has never worked right.... they've been here twice to fix the TV and it is still not right.. yawn.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Veteran member

I dislike Comcast so am taking this opportunity (the loss of abiloity to make golf reservations online) to go to one of the other satellite providers and embarq for phone. Comcast phone STINKS. My daughter had it in New Jersey and dumped it after a few months.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 01-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Send a message via AIM to LovinItAtTheVillages Send a message via Yahoo to LovinItAtTheVillages

I leave my Comcast on Vacation seasonal status when we are gone for summer

why are you having a bill when you arent here?

Id like to get a different ISP but what else is there
Old 01-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Sage

We are not seasonal. We currently use our villa as a get-away-place as often as possible. With 2 kids still in college, we are currently working around college breaks, my follow-up cancer doctor visits and checking on Mrs. John N's parents. We try to get down every other month and more often when we can.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Veteran member

Direct TV was out today. had a bit of a problem installing, we/they wanted to install it on the house wall (CBS) but could not get the best signal so we had to install it on a post behind the Courtyard fence. Got a great signal there. So it is up and running. We think the HD picture is far superior to the Comcast HD. Direct gets and receives full 1080i & 1080P signal. Comcast is 720i. At least 40 more HD channels but I have not added them all up yet. As far as the price goes it is an introductory price but right now I think it is about $50 less a month. After a year the price should go up to about $75 a month still about $36 less than Comcast and we get a better picture and far more HD channels. We used Tobin and were treated very well by the Tobins and the installer. Any questions just pm me or ask here.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Default Comcast, et al

Hello, Everyone,

Although I've owned a home at The Villages for about a year, I'm just now making arrangements to retire. As I look at the options for ISP services, cable, and phone, I'm kind of disgusted about the lack of commitment the "competitors" seem to display. I've looked at Embarq, Comcast, and Hughes, as well as several of the pretenders, and there seems to be a deliberate avoidance of anything concrete upon which to make a decision.

There are all the caveats about upload speeds, download speeds, package costs, and heaven knows what else. There is no direct mention about any download limit, in the event of streaming video, and, of course, there's the obligatory "package special price" that expires once the subscriber is "hooked".

Has anyone looked at Magicjack or Ooma for phone service? I'd be interested to know if there's experience, good or bad. It looks like any bundles should be examined purely on the basis on ISP and TV service. Phone can be piggybacked onto the ISP using Magicjack or Ooma. Then, the question is, "What is the best combination/experience, a bundle with Comcast, or an ISP and Direct TV/Dish?"

Am I missing anything here?

The Dukester
Old 05-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

Comcast is less than good. Check with Embarq for the latest package offer with Dish Network plus Embarq's DSL access. I suggest 3mb speed...slower than Comcast but more than adequate.
Embarq's Dish Network package offer so many more channels for less money than comcast. Sure, it goes out for a few minutes during a heavy storm but it's my money.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default In your evaluations give a look at Verizon's Air Card.

I had Comcast high speed turned off over a month ago as a staged complete turn off of all their services at the end of summer.

The air card cost wise is $10 more per month than Comcast high speed. When all is done after leaving Comcast the net result with TV and air card will be some where around 20-25 less per month.

The air card allows using the PC anywhere a Verizon cell phone works. We have a lake home in the foothills of the Smokie mountains where only dial up is available.....hence the advantage for us is I am now using the air card at near broadband speeds. Unless you do major movie streaming, it is quite acceptable....most of the time there is no discernable difference to Comcast.

It is an option....and you have it virtually.....EVERYWHERE!!

btk
Old 05-26-2009, 04:54 AM
Veteran member

We had nothing but problems with Comcast. Got rid of the cable and got Direct TV. Much better package. Got tired of arguing with comcast. wanted to raise rates, then started charging me a modem lease for the high speed cable. Problem being we bought our modem from Best Buy. We had the service for 6 months then they started charging for a lease fee. They told me that I had to prove to them I bought it. I told them prove to me where I leased it. Bottom line after I had the cable turned off and even there guy came to the house and turned it off, 3 months later they were still billing me for cable service. had to bring them the work order in which the guy was out to turn the service off.
Now I need to get rid of the High Speed cable service, Just dont know where to get Internet from. Dont use home land line, we all use cell.

Money Out

Comcast Ya out of HERE!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.