Over the air tv

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2021, 10:46 AM
Default Over the air tv

Does anyone know if it's possible to use an indoor antenna to pick up the OTA free tv signal that covers Wildwood? This would be in the far west side of the Fenney area.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:31 AM
Gold member

I see some roof mounted antennas but not sure how well they work. I am guessing that an indoor antenna will not perform well at all.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:46 AM

I saw in the CCRs that roof antennas are not allowed. ??
Old 11-28-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ SLIM View Post
I saw in the CCRs that roof antennas are not allowed. ??
I dunno about that, I see Satellite dishes and antennas on many roofs. Some even have lighting rods on their roof.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know if it's possible to use an indoor antenna to pick up the OTA free tv signal that covers Wildwood? This would be in the far west side of the Fenney area.

I have a indoor attic antenna and it works well, major networks come in well. I’m in lake deaton route 44a. I would search this site there are plenty of threads discussing this subject.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:20 PM

Put your address into the lower left box on this map and click search. Then below the map, click Move Pushpin to Center of map View. Then enter the height of your antenna (13 feet is lowest you can enter). Then click GO. You'll get a listing of channels, the distance to the towers, direction and Field strength which is likelihood you can get the channel.

rabbitears info/searchmap

Even though the site name is rabbitears, it does not mean if the old rabbit ears are used. It is for any type of antenna.

For my home, it shows that I have fair signal strength with antenna at 13 feet for channels in Orlando (50+ miles) and that would be my best option. Not worth the attempt with an indoor or attic antenna. A large outdoor antenna pointed at 110 deg. magnetic N might work for me but would need it probably higher than 30 feet. Again, not an option here and not guaranteed to work.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
I have a indoor attic antenna and it works well, major networks come in well. I’m in lake deaton route 44a. I would search this site there are plenty of threads discussing this subject.
Which antenna do you have? What direction is it pointed?
Old 11-28-2021, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo21 View Post
Which antenna do you have? What direction is it pointed?
In our previous home, we had an inside the attic antenna. I bought a good one, it was big.
We did not use the attic for anything, it was unfinished and barely high enough to stand in the highest part. We were like 35 miles from New York city and it worked fine until they blew up the World Trade Center. Far as what direction was it pointing, I mounted it on a broom handle and turned it til I got the best signal. How to point it was simple trial and error. Here, I don't know how well it would work. For that matter with most people on cable who or what is being broadcast over the air. Your TV may only have connections for coaxial cable.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
In our previous home, we had an inside the attic antenna. I bought a good one, it was big.
We did not use the attic for anything, it was unfinished and barely high enough to stand in the highest part. We were like 35 miles from New York city and it worked fine until they blew up the World Trade Center. Far as what direction was it pointing, I mounted it on a broom handle and turned it til I got the best signal. How to point it was simple trial and error. Here, I don't know how well it would work. For that matter with most people on cable who or what is being broadcast over the air. Your TV may only have connections for coaxial cable.

Yes, an attic antenna can work. I have and use one in Tennessee - but I'm closer to towers than 50+ miles from the TV transmission towers.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:40 AM

Vicinity of Havana CC

We have one in attic and get about 64 channels. That includes all local major networks. We stream Netflix and Amazon Prime.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:00 AM
Default Attic antenna is possible

In the Village of Collier I have an "Antennas Direct DB8e" antenna in my attic. Pointed towards Orlando, it receives about 50 channels but most are either religious or Spanish speaking. Used occasionally instead of ROKU or Xfinity Flex. (Xfinity Flex is provided for free to "internet only" customers.)

At the Antennas Direct website linked below, you can see what channels to expect and recommendations for suggested antennas.
Antennas Direct | TV Transmitter Locator and Mapping Tool
Old 11-29-2021, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Depends on the quality of the antenna, I would think. When we first moved here (before the internet was hooked up) I bought a cheapie $12 indoor antenna at WallyWorld and was able to pull in a couple of stations with it. That was setting it up next to the TV. My thought is that a better indoor antenna mounted in (say) your attic would pull in a lot more.

I don't know how viable this is, but an outdoor antenna would surely serve a lot better. About six years ago my wife and I decided to forego the fiendishly expensive DirecTV we had, dump the landline phone but keep the DSL, and go with an antenna. "Back to the future", so to speak. I bought a $99 RCA outdoor antenna, two ten-foot steel pipes, and set 'er up. Stringing the wire took awhile but (with the help of a signal amplifier, which is about $20) I was pulling in stations 50 to 75 miles away with no problem. All crystal-clear. Gathered quite a crowd of neighbors too. The kids had no idea what I was setting up.

Ended up saving over $200 a month in costs related to TV and phone that we used to pay.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:43 AM

Its all about location of the antenna. In some of the south areas its pretty difficult to get a decent signal. If you point the inside antenna to the east works for me to get many channels. The locals come from Orlando (which is good enough for me) but I stream pretty much everything else via Amazon Firestick. They off some "free" channels via PlutoTV and some others to stream content.
Good luck.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:53 AM
Default OTA antennas

OTA TV signals are finicky. Your neighbor might get a good signal, and you get nothing. In my experience, if you are talking about the old "rabbit ears" on top of (or next to) your TV... it's doubtful you will get anything. A large antenna in your attic might work. You have a much better chance with an antenna on your roof with a signal amplifier. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:27 AM

I use an window antenna that is connected to a unit that is called TABLO and that is connected to Wi-Fi then the signal is sent Wi-Fi to my tv.
Closed Thread

Tags
covers, wildwood, signal, west, side

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.