Drugs

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2021, 03:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
As long as people crave illegal drugs there will be demand. Just like smoking or alcoholic’s, druggies can’t or rarely can stop. Joint smokers claim it’s harmless and they can stop any time, but the never do.
Not so, my friend. I, personally, have quit smoking marijuana. Also cigarettes. I have tried to quit alcohol at times, as well as coffee.

Coffee was the hardest, and in fact, I'm back on it. Likewise alcohol.
So in my experience, pot was the easiest of all of those to give up.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
As long as people crave illegal drugs there will be demand. Just like smoking or alcoholic’s, druggies can’t or rarely can stop. Joint smokers claim it’s harmless and they can stop any time, but the never do.
and who wants to stop, smoking a little weed since my teens, going to be 83 in a couple of weeks , never smoked cigarettes, no medications, run, bike ,walk and hit gym 5 days a week , had a very exciting life in many dangerous places in the world which I only tell funny stories about and most of all I couldn’t be more happy now or how my life has evolved. MAYBE it WAS the WEED
Old 11-26-2021, 07:21 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

No self respecting drug mule is going to ferry dope down the Turnpike. Too many cameras and license plate readers.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:35 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unialimon View Post
Saw this somewhere.
We can't fight, homelessness, Hunger, Poverty or Drugs:
But we are going to fight “Climate Change”?

Yeah Right.
That's where the money is located. In the meantime our jails are full of drug cases instead of the real criminals that we release. We seem to be upside down.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Gate arms yesterday. Drugs today. What's tomorrow's topic, prostitution?
There was a thread for business ideas.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
Yes, using policing to control drug availability and use has worked so well in the past (not!) let's waste a few more billion to get nowhere again.
Supply arrives to satisfy demand. There is really nothing you can do about it with police except lock up a few poor people who are immediately replaced with zero impact beyond needing more jails, spending a lot of tax dollars, and ruining a few lives.
The answer (not that it is easy or cheap or fast) is to figure out a way to control or manage demand.
The reality is that criminals are mobile. They can easily move to areas that allow them to operate. There is actually a small percentage of our population that are regular criminals. I am a proponent of three strikes and you are out. It has never been allowed to function.

As far as crime throughout history society has been trying to prevent crime. Hangings, famously attracted pick pockets and so did application of the guillotine.

Drugs-we often get news about ultra strong drugs hitting the streets and killing people.
We then spend a fortune to track down and get them off the street. Is that rational?
Only the state can murder people?

I have more questions than more productive solutions.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
That's where the money is located. In the meantime our jails are full of drug cases instead of the real criminals that we release. We seem to be upside down.
It is interrelated. Drugs, a drug habit is expensive and debilitating. Only way to make the needed money is through crime. A crime that causes crime.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
If we look at the local arrests for Drugs it’s a revolving door arrest release, arrest release the same over and over. It’s a waste of time. Seems the Counties are pretty profitable by collecting fines why would they wish to solve the problem.
You cannot collect fines from people with no money, no residence and a likely fake name.
Harsh? Perhaps? We have passed but never allowed three strikes and you are out. Revolving door? It would only go around three times.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
No self respecting drug mule is going to ferry dope down the Turnpike. Too many cameras and license plate readers.
Right on. They use Rt 466A and Rt 44.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
There are very few people in prisons who were arrested on simple drug charges...

Most have pled down to that, for an easy conviction, but were initially arrested in distribution charges, most probably while armed...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-28-2021, 11:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Education

I was thinking that maybe some education would at least stimulate the naysayer regarding drugs and thus may open their eyes a little and cause them to think beyond the "chill out" excuse or current users. Of course the "Dealers" will continue to spread their poisons and chase after our children. Did you know there are 12 NA (Narcotics Anonymous) meetings in the Villages and near neighborhoods each day of the week? Did you consider each NA attendee leaves a family at home who are regaining a decent life. Of course if you are a dealer or user you don't give a damn. Did you consider that almost everyday there is mention of person being arrested for either drug use or having the tools to use drugs or caught with the amount to be a dealer? Who do you think those dealers are going after? Of course the children and youths! Forget the rumor that is mentioned in previous posts that the drugs being flown in to Atlanta are going northeast.! Hell, take a minute and check with the DEA and Marion County Sheriff's Office and you will be educated they are using the Turnpike as a major route to Miami and The Villages are a good place to push drugs on the way to Miami.!Some mention now being made aware of more "homeless" showing up in The Villages! Come on why do you think many are homeless. Duh, could it be drugs are a major cause? Heck the San Francisco streets are loaded with people sleeping on the side walks, historic sites, etc because they are exhausted looking for work. We truly respect and honor those who attend the NA Meetings as they are the ones who recognize the horrible impact it is having on their and others lives and are taking action to build up our
lives and not further wreck them for the sake of a selfish addiction.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,113 Posts

I think someone’s been watching to many viewings of the movie Reefer Madness that shows up late at night sometimes on TCM , actually it’s a great movie to light up and giggle while you watch
Old 11-28-2021, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,525 Times in 3,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
A few observations regarding drugs and the villages. It is alleged Atlanta is a major hub for drug interdiction to the US. It is also alleged the drugs runners use the turnpike to move them to Miami and The Villages is located in a prime location along this route. In addition to this exposure it is also alleged that Marion County has more Meth Labs than any other County in Florida. What does all of this mean. I believe it means we should be prepared to address Drug activities and ensure there is funding to manage this growing criminal activity on our great community. As you read of the criminal arrests in The Villages and note how many have drugs on them or were using them when caught you start to understand the breath of the issue. As the villages continue to grow in size the under belly of drug activity grows and the need for fully funded Police becomes greater.
1. Defunding doesn't mean what most people think it means.
2. The War on Drugs was lost the first week it started, and has been losing ever since.
3. See Prohibition on Alcohol history if you want an explanation on #2.
4. Many people who are addicted to painkillers, first became addicted when it was prescribed LEGALLY to them for legitimate reasons: recovery from surgery, for example. Anyone addicted to narcotic painkillers needs help. Arrest them not for being addicted, but for the burglary they committed, or the red light they ran, or whatever other thing they did OTHER than simply being addicted to drugs. And then help them to stop being addicted to the drugs. That's what defunding is all about. It's about giving the police more authority as police handling crimes that actually need a police officer to handle. And giving authority to people who are qualified in other aspects of public service, to handle those other public service jobs. Like helping homeless stay off the streets and hopefully find them shelter, mental health services, and jobs, or veterans suffering from PTSD and needing someone to talk them out of killing themselves, or help new mothers suffering from post-natal depression so they don't kill their own babies. Defunding puts police funds into hiring people who can do THOSE things to prevent crimes, so the cops can BE cops.

The only people who 'know' what defunding means, who are actually against defunding, are people who don't want to prevent crime. They only want to attack if after its been committed.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:02 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I think someone’s been watching to many viewings of the movie Reefer Madness that shows up late at night sometimes on TCM , actually it’s a great movie to light up and giggle while you watch
Ha ha. They showed us Reefer Madness in 1968, the first week of each school year at Frederick Military Academy to deter us from smoking pot. Being a young country boy I never knew about pot until they showed me the movie.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Do your research

I don't recall including the drug "marijuana" in any of my notes so am lost to understand why someone would raise an old film on that drug as some way to discredit the threat of drugs on the Villages. Usually old and long time users like to try to redirect the problems of drugs by using this age old film. They give no consideration that when the film was made it was made by the film industry who were major users of drugs, that hardly any research was made on it's long term effects, and they relied on person's getting high and becoming long term customers of the drug dealers. The ones who tout the drug have not done any research on its effects on the youth and user families who watch their futures go up in smoke! It has terrible effects on or children who start smoking when they are before the age of 21. Look it up.
Closed Thread

Tags
drugs, villages, alleged, drug, county

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.