Drunks win – Brownwood Square loses

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2021, 07:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
Put a little Cross on him while he's sleeping. A lot of people will take action.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:18 AM

Get a cc permit to protect yourself. Stand your ground is supported in Florida.
If they are in pass out drunk stage, stay out of vomit range.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbeccles View Post
I am someone, who still after four years of living in the Villages, enjoys going to the Brownwood Square to see a good band. However, I have to say I am getting more wary of doing so. That’s because of the rowdiness and especially as the number of inebriated people at the square continues to grow. When I first started going, on Friday and Saturday nights and when there was a popular band, there were always Sumter police at the square. This always had a calming effect in my opinion, so that there were not waves of jaywalkers, people bumbling around, and you felt safe. However, when they shut down the small police station there, things have become bad. I have not seen a policeman down at the square now for a long time. The number of people who show up drunk at the square has dramatically increased. Last week a drunk (we call him red bandana man) who is at the square repeatedly, and shows up drunk, who staggers across the dance area with people trying to avoid him, finally passed out and fell flat over. The Community Watch (CW) sat him up in a chair and took details and then let him walk off into the sunset. My question is why is this allowed to happen? I know the CW folks have no powers, but their primary job must be to keep Villagers safe. To allow these people to ruin the fun of others is just wrong. Surely they could call the police and have him removed from the area. They should also stop the other drunks, and there are many, staggering into dancers.
Please don’t get me wrong, I enjoy going to the drink shack and buying beers. I think it’s great to have a few adult beverages and sing and dance, but not in what’s becoming a hostile atmosphere. My thoughts are:
1. No disrespect to the CW folks. They do a great job making sure people sit in the right areas and chairs are in the right lines. A not fun job considering what they are getting paid. However it must be safety first – and their bosses need to step in and tell them to call the cops on drunks and have them removed.
2. Where are the police? When you have an event with hundreds of people drinking, and golf carts zooming around avoiding jaywalkers, why don’t they show their presence at least for 15 minutes every hour? Just one cop crossing the square every hour will definitely calm down the drunks, and also the lousy traffic problems.
It’s just a matter of time before some big altercation inside the square, or a pedestrian getting run over.
It is hard to claim a trend in a four year period. Personally I am becoming less tolerant of people. In the end it is ME. Even if I choose to blame it on covid. Like most things it feeds on itself.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation How did they get there?

A basic question is how did they get there and how are they getting home in a drunken state? Either by car or cart? Why are they not arrested when they leave as they are a threat to everyone else on the road or cart path? We have watched the drunks at Cody's
in LSL and often how come they are able to drive drunk? Where are the police when these drunks get back in the cart or car and get back on the road or cart path? Same for the LSL Square. Solution: There should be Police around these area's observing the conduct
of the drunks and if they get in a cart or car arrest them!
Old 09-25-2021, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Yea, just shoot’em.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:33 AM

I will admit I go to Brownwood occasionally and I have noticed one or two drunks occasionally, but I don’t remember see a lot of drunks in the square. The vast majority are there to enjoy the music and maybe dance. I can tell you we truly live in a bubble here. I just got back from a trip and in Denver around the 16th street mall area it is really bad. Lots of drug zombies, smell of pot everywhere and the smell of urine on all the sidewalks and streets. I guess it is all relative but I would take the squares here over most of the downtown areas in major cities.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Some of the people that go to the square are more entertaining than the people paid to perform at the square.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 09-25-2021, 07:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
It is hard to claim a trend in a four year period. Personally I am becoming less tolerant of people. In the end it is ME. Even if I choose to blame it on covid. Like most things it feeds on itself.
Excellent post.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
A basic question is how did they get there and how are they getting home in a drunken state? Either by car or cart? Why are they not arrested when they leave as they are a threat to everyone else on the road or cart path? We have watched the drunks at Cody's
in LSL and often how come they are able to drive drunk? Where are the police when these drunks get back in the cart or car and get back on the road or cart path? Same for the LSL Square. Solution: There should be Police around these area's observing the conduct
of the drunks and if they get in a cart or car arrest them!
I don't know if golfing while intoxicated is illegal. What I mean is, if the golf cart is operated on private property I don't think the police can do anything.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Some of the people that go to the square are more entertaining than the people paid to perform at the square.
True. And not just there, everywhere.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie1 View Post
If the drunks are a problem, then the situation can get out of hand in a New York minute! Fights, possible injuries, or fatalities, you name it, can happen. I hope the concerns about the growing incidents of drunken behavior are being directed to whoever has responsibility for addressing those issues. Surely an off-duty officer could work a four-hour detail at the squares and receive compensation out of the funds from the refreshment stand. Even a special deputy from the Sheriff's Department could function in this capacity. The presence of a law enforcement officer can do wonders for keeping the peace at these venues.
It'll be even worse when the drunken people behave in a "disorderly" way either in their own golf cart, or sprawling over someone else's golf cart. We have Stand Your Ground laws here, and as many have pointed out, The Villages residents are a well-armed militia.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:43 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Public drunk is more or less acceptable in the US. That is very sad. I don't know if public intoxication is illegal in this area, it should be. I have no problem with people that want to get drunk, but they should not inflict themselves on others. And one wonders how they are getting home... that might be very illegal, and deadly.
1% cause 100% of the problems kids that never grew up.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:53 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
1% cause 100% of the problems kids that never grew up.
Bingo.

We go to the Square a lot and we are people watchers.
The music is good, bad, ugly, but we enjoy it as background noise.

The so-called drunk trend is fake news.

OP was a good drama post, not much reality.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

We haven't gone to Brownwood since 2019 and early 2020, but watching people is some of the best entertainment. Last several times there was the transvestite in the short skirt dancing all around the dance floor the entire evening. It reminded me of New Orleans and Bourbon St.

My favorite is Paul from Spring Hill. He comes all the way up here whenever there is a good band and he's most entertaining of them all.

Fun at The Villages with crowd favorite Paul and Mpire - YouTube

My Friend Paul Dancing at The Villages FL - YouTube
Old 09-25-2021, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

I eat at the bar one or 2 night a week at blue fin usually around 8 , I don’t see that there are really any problems while I’m in square , and I’m one of those people who parks at far end of parking lots , I have never felt unsafe in square or parking lot. , do a few people seem to have had an extra drink yes but so what
Closed Thread

Tags
square, people, police, drunks, call

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.