Drunks win – Brownwood Square loses

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2021, 10:45 AM

Why are you folks so excited about shooting someone? You can't handle a situation without violence? Sad.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:51 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
Why are you folks so excited about shooting someone?
"you folks"........................who????

sad
Old 09-25-2021, 10:53 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaguey48 View Post
Especially the clipboard ladies.
I've seen more pictures of Bigfoot than the urban legend ladies with a clipboard. No one who claims to have seen them ever has photo evidence.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbeccles View Post
I am someone, who still after four years of living in the Villages, enjoys going to the Brownwood Square to see a good band. However, I have to say I am getting more wary of doing so. That’s because of the rowdiness and especially as the number of inebriated people at the square continues to grow. When I first started going, on Friday and Saturday nights and when there was a popular band, there were always Sumter police at the square. This always had a calming effect in my opinion, so that there were not waves of jaywalkers, people bumbling around, and you felt safe. However, when they shut down the small police station there, things have become bad. I have not seen a policeman down at the square now for a long time. The number of people who show up drunk at the square has dramatically increased. Last week a drunk (we call him red bandana man) who is at the square repeatedly, and shows up drunk, who staggers across the dance area with people trying to avoid him, finally passed out and fell flat over. The Community Watch (CW) sat him up in a chair and took details and then let him walk off into the sunset. My question is why is this allowed to happen? I know the CW folks have no powers, but their primary job must be to keep Villagers safe. To allow these people to ruin the fun of others is just wrong. Surely they could call the police and have him removed from the area. They should also stop the other drunks, and there are many, staggering into dancers.
Please don’t get me wrong, I enjoy going to the drink shack and buying beers. I think it’s great to have a few adult beverages and sing and dance, but not in what’s becoming a hostile atmosphere. My thoughts are:
1. No disrespect to the CW folks. They do a great job making sure people sit in the right areas and chairs are in the right lines. A not fun job considering what they are getting paid. However it must be safety first – and their bosses need to step in and tell them to call the cops on drunks and have them removed.
2. Where are the police? When you have an event with hundreds of people drinking, and golf carts zooming around avoiding jaywalkers, why don’t they show their presence at least for 15 minutes every hour? Just one cop crossing the square every hour will definitely calm down the drunks, and also the lousy traffic problems.
It’s just a matter of time before some big altercation inside the square, or a pedestrian getting run over.
Agree. I rarely go to squares the noise level keeps me away and I can’t hear conversation with all background noise. You might say the art of deafness without being fully deaf 🧏*♂️.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
A basic question is how did they get there and how are they getting home in a drunken state? Either by car or cart? Why are they not arrested when they leave as they are a threat to everyone else on the road or cart path? We have watched the drunks at Cody's
in LSL and often how come they are able to drive drunk? Where are the police when these drunks get back in the cart or car and get back on the road or cart path? Same for the LSL Square. Solution: There should be Police around these area's observing the conduct
of the drunks and if they get in a cart or car arrest them!

But, butt, wouldn’t that be profiling???
Old 09-25-2021, 11:18 AM
Veteran member

I used to split my time between Brownwood and Sumter Landing. I found Brownwood to become less inviting just before COVID (BC) was named. I oftened wondered if there were more non-Villagers there to party on the weekends. I gave up on Brownwood and prefer Sumter Landing these days.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:25 AM
Veteran member
Default We haven't seen anyone who had a few to many causing problems in the Squares

We have been here since 2007 and go to the Squares a few times a week to dance and to be honest I cant even remember seeing a drunk in the Squares in this many years. Most of the time we go later since it tends to be cooler but to us its just a lot of people having a great time and enjoying themselves. We think its great that so many more mature people can get off their duff away from their TV and enjoy/experience life vs watch life or watch others live it. If anyone had a few too many they sure weren't causing anyone any problems that we have ever seen and I would be willing to bet the atmosphere is a lot better / safer than if you went to any event/sport event in any of the larger cities around us or any other place. You just can't beat The Villages for the quality of life we are able to experience and the Squares help provide to that wonderful experience. Live, experience, enjoy, appreciate life while you can; unfortunately the clock is ticking faster than most of us would like and that time will come soon enough (if we're luck) when we will only be able to watch it .
Old 09-25-2021, 11:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
We have been here since 2007 ...........

Great Post!!!
Glad you posted it three times.

Old 09-25-2021, 11:48 AM
Sage

Wildwood Police was in Brownwood last night.

Old 09-25-2021, 12:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Wildwood Police was in Brownwood last night.
Were they drunk?
Old 09-25-2021, 12:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Were they drunk?
No, but I was.

We all pulled our guns out and shot a few rounds into the air.

Then I jaywalked and drove home..

Old 09-25-2021, 01:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
"you folks"........................who????

sad
There were several posts, one saying get a CC and that would solve the drunk problem, and another saying "just shoot them".
Old 09-25-2021, 01:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
There were several posts, one saying get a CC and that would solve the drunk problem, and another saying "just shoot them".

those folks are not on ToTV

"you" folks are
Old 09-25-2021, 02:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond The Wall View Post
Get a cc permit to protect yourself. Stand your ground is supported in Florida.
If they are in pass out drunk stage, stay out of vomit range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Yea, just shoot’em.
Quote:
During the technical problems yesterday my attempt to reply with a quote did not work.
Posted with a bit of sarcasm.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:49 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

I think he said it was due to texh issues, oh mr helpful.

Tags
square, people, police, drunks, call

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.