Dst

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2018, 10:35 AM
Default Daylight Time - Bad idea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
They did it wrong. Instead of keeping daylight saving time year around they should keep standard time year around..........I hate DST because that extra hour of daylight is burning up my lawn. LOL
I heartily agree!!!
Old 03-14-2018, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1 View Post
I heartily agree!!!
I assume you realize that Shimpy's comment was nothing but a big joke (and a good one at that)...correct?

Regardless of what time your watch/clock says, there is still the exact same amount of daylight hours...on any given day.

It really boils down to whether you prefer having sunrise occur an hour earlier in the morning...or having sunset an hour later in the evening.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
There is a meme floating around Facebook, Twitter, etc that sums up DST fairly well. From a Native American speaking, “Only a white man can cut off 6 inches from the bottom of a blanket, sew it to the top and then convince you that you have a longer blanket.”
Actually, that analogy isn't even close to being accurate.

No sensible person is saying that you somehow get an hour extra of actual daylight with DST...it simply changes the time on your clock when the sun rises and when it sets.

Quote:
Quite screwing around with time completely! To counter other comments, I like playing golf at 7:30 am, walking in the mornings, or getting my yardword done early.
Which simply means that you would be doing all of that an hour later...to maintain the exact same amount of daylight.

It really just boils down to either being a 'morning person' or 'an evening person.'

Since the majority of the country works, it allows those who still have jobs to have an extra hour of daylight to do things...once they get off of work.

Quote:
I am a morning person who prefers “god’s natural time”.
OK, whether intentional or not...that's pretty funny too.

Here's the reason Time Zones were instituted in the first place.

Why Were Time Zones Created?

Quote:
19th Century Challenges

American railroads maintained many different time zones during the late 1800s. Each train station set its own clock making it difficult to coordinate train schedules and confusing passengers. Time calculation became a serious problem for people traveling by train (sometimes hundreds of miles in a day), according to the Library of Congress.

Every city in the United States used a different time standard, so there were more than 300 local sun-times to choose from.

Railroad managers tried to address the problem by establishing 100 railroad time zones, but this was only a partial solution to the problem.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:32 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
With DST, there will be the exact same amount of daylight. People will adjust.

I think more people would like more daylight later than earlier.
Of course the amount of daylight would be the same. No one is disputing that. The issue is the big screwup in morning activities, etc., as others here have brought up. Now the Florida Teachers Association has come out against this ill thought out idea as it will create a potential safety hazard for children going to school. Kiil the bill!
Old 03-16-2018, 09:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Of course the amount of daylight would be the same. No one is disputing that...
Of course that's true. (I certainly hope so anyway. ) You've never stated the obvious in expressing an opinion?
Old 03-16-2018, 10:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
...it will create a potential safety hazard for children going to school...
Not if they start school an hour later...according to the clock, not the sun.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Not if they start school an hour later...according to the clock, not the sun.
Most districts in Florida use the same bus at least twice a day, some thrice. That is why high school starts early, elementary 8ish and middle school ninish. Transportation wags the dog. Your proposal would require more buses and middle schoolers getting out after five.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
Most districts in Florida use the same bus at least twice a day, some thrice. That is why high school starts early, elementary 8ish and middle school ninish. Transportation wags the dog. Your proposal would require more buses and middle schoolers getting out after five.
First of all, it’s not “my proposal”. Just a statement of fact.

Secondly, any change in school start times would likely necessitate other possible changes too. Transportation, while it may wag the the dog, is not etched in stone. It...like any other part of the entire education system or life in general...can change with the times.
Closed Thread

Tags
hour, call, dst, hours, start

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.