Due diligence before you buy

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2018, 09:13 AM
Veteran member
Default Due diligence before you buy

Residents in Fenney (per the unnamed news source) are complaining about the blasting at a nearby limestone quarry. The business has been there for over 100 years and they blast 5 times a month.
Others complain about hearing the PA system at the nearby prison.
Wouldn't a simple google maps search have told them what was nearby?
Old 03-26-2018, 09:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Residents in Fenney (per the unnamed news source) are complaining about the blasting at a nearby limestone quarry. The business has been there for over 100 years and they blast 5 times a month.
Others complain about hearing the PA system at the nearby prison.
Wouldn't a simple google maps search have told them what was nearby?
Sounds logical.....But, when we first came here years ago, having a limited time frame in which to be there, we were introduced to the squares, amazed at the golf cart access to stores and fooderies.....that everything else, including the style of home we purchased went to the back burner.

The sales agent was so exuberant, and excited, and never mentioned anything negative, that even me as a realtor, fell in to the spell.

So people, including myself, with a short window to purchase...thought with there hearts and not there heads.....and there you go.....boom...

Now I know better...... due diligence is everything....

PS.... TV sales agents are Single Agents, they are not required to tell you about, prisons, dumps and lime plants, sexual predators living next door, ect. They only represent the positives and are not required to mention the negatives.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:31 AM

I always feel for those people who have homes close to a pickleball court....that constant "pop" must be annoying....I wonder if most knew that before they bought those homes.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:34 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgroemm View Post
I always feel for those people who have homes close to a pickleball court....that constant "pop" must be annoying....I wonder if most knew that before they bought those homes.
The pickleball ball pop and a basketball thumping would
personally drive me nuts! 🤭

I wouldn’t even look at a house by either one.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:43 AM
Gold member

anyone else remember the line...you must be ready by 5:01 to buy, I can only hold the house for you for 2 hours, then, my fellow sales agent is going to sell it to his client. I need your decision NOW, what are you going to do.....?

That was high pressure...... and we fell for it....
Old 03-26-2018, 09:44 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Way back in 1994 when I was relatively new to the area I bought a home under the primary flight path for SNA. The selling agent, a Realtor, made it very clear we could be affected by the noise. The noise issue was written into and acknowledged in both the seller's disclosure form and in our purchase contract. I had lived a few blocks away from the home and of course had experienced the noise but those few blocks further under it made a huge difference and I was forced to discontinue telephone conversations at times.

It seems to me potential issues such as being near an airport, a prison, dump, sewage treatment plant, sink holes and noise should routinely be disclosed to potential buyers who are not familiar with an area.

Latent defect - Wikipedia

Latent Defect | Nolo.com

Nuisance - Wikipedia

Nuisance | Nolo.com

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 03-26-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:45 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
anyone else remember the line...you must be ready by 5:01 to buy, I can only hold the house for you for 2 hours, then, my fellow sales agent is going to sell it to his client. I need your decision NOW, what are you going to do.....?

Now is this a high pressure situation! Of course it is probably true.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-26-2018, 09:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Way back in 1994 when I was relatively new to the area I bought a home under the primary flight path for SNA. The selling agent, a Realtor, made it very clear we could be affected by the noise. The noise issue was written into and acknowledged in both the seller's disclosure form and in our purchase contract. I had lived a few blocks away from the home and of course had experienced the noise but those few blocks mad a huge difference and I had to discontinue telephone conversations at times.

It seems to me potential issues such as being near a prison, sink holes and noise should be disclosed to potential buyers who are not familiar with an area. Latent defect - Wikipedia
you'd think so, wouldn't you. But a sink hole in your home must be disclosed, State law... but not your neighborhood.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Sounds logical.....But, when we first came here years ago, having a limited time frame in which to be there, we were introduced to the squares, amazed at the golf cart access to stores and fooderies.....that everything else, including the style of home we purchased went to the back burner.

The sales agent was so exuberant, and excited, and never mentioned anything negative, that even me as a realtor, fell in to the spell.

So people, including myself, with a short window to purchase...thought with there hearts and not there heads.....and there you go.....boom...

Now I know better...... due diligence is everything....

PS.... TV sales agents are Single Agents, they are not required to tell you about, prisons, dumps and lime plants, sexual predators living next door, ect. They only represent the positives and are not required to mention the negatives.
Just curious about what you say is required. Aside from the disclosures that must be presented about the house in consideration, I don't remember any agent telling me about the things you mention. For example, I currently live very near a large county prison - I don't remember the agent saying a thing about it. Not that it's been an issue, but just using it as an example.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

OH STOP. It was the truth. We liked a house in Hadley on Havana Trail and we looked at it and then an hour later were told it wasn't available. We bought the house next door to it and found the nice people who bought it had indeed taken it off the market and had two hours to commit. We would have taken it if they didn't. She became my dear friend and has since moved to the Village of Heavenly. I miss you Ruthie.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:07 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
Just curious about what you say is required. Aside from the disclosures that must be presented about the house in consideration, I don't remember any agent telling me about the things you mention. For example, I currently live very near a large county prison - I don't remember the agent saying a thing about it. Not that it's been an issue, but just using it as an example.
when I was working, in Broward as a Realtor, it was my responsibility to inform my clients everything I knew about the home.

I was a Transaction Broker. If I knew something, relating to the home and held back information, I could be sued. It was not a written disclosure...in the contract. It was verbal.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:31 AM
Default Not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Way back in 1994 when I was relatively new to the area I bought a home under the primary flight path for SNA. The selling agent, a Realtor, made it very clear we could be affected by the noise. The noise issue was written into and acknowledged in both the seller's disclosure form and in our purchase contract. I had lived a few blocks away from the home and of course had experienced the noise but those few blocks further under it made a huge difference and I was forced to discontinue telephone conversations at times.

It seems to me potential issues such as being near an airport, a prison, dump, sewage treatment plant, sink holes and noise should routinely be disclosed to potential buyers who are not familiar with an area.

Latent defect - Wikipedia

Latent Defect | Nolo.com

Nuisance - Wikipedia

Nuisance | Nolo.com
Supposedly there is a realtor code of ethics.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. many years ago we placed a written offer on a house. The market at the time was poor and our offer was several thousand below the asking price.
We later found the place was sold ON PAPER below our offer and below fair market value. I suspect there was CASH under the table.

I contacted the realtor board. They wanted me to come in and start my complaint. I asked what would happen and I was advised there might be financial penalties-NO LOSS OF LICENSE. I then asked who would get these penalties. I WAS ADVISED THE PENALTIES WOULD GO TO THE REALTOR BOARD. So they expected me to take time off from work to clean up their act and they would pocket any penaties.

THINK-you spend time with a broker-A SALES PERSON who PRETENDS TO BE YOUR FRIEND. Over time you and your wife drop your guard. Wow that seems to be a good deal.
Wow, we need to buy now. Wow we can afford to spend more.

We are happy here. According to Zillow and Realtor.com
after four years our home in the villages has gone up more than the house we sold in NY. SO IT WAS A GOOD DEAL.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
OH STOP. It was the truth. We liked a house in Hadley on Havana Trail and we looked at it and then an hour later were told it wasn't available. We bought the house next door to it and found the nice people who bought it had indeed taken it off the market and had two hours to commit. We would have taken it if they didn't. She became my dear friend and has since moved to the Village of Heavenly. I miss you Ruthie.
How right you are Gracie, it a common story, when a desirable home/location comes on the market they go quick and the developer has no obligation to hold anything for anyone, MONEY TALKS.
The home we wanted, CYV on corner lot with room for a pool--very rare, went on the market at 5:00 OM on a Thursday at 5:03 our realtor called and told us the house was ours but needed the deposit immediately but if we changed our minds there were 4 others on the list waiting for the house.
On the morning we closed our realtor asked us if we still wanted the home (of course we did) and if we didn't we could back out without penalty and get a full refund of our deposit as he had a cash buyer waiting to take it that day and close.

We sit here now 4 years later and haven't regretted the purchase and are still appreciative of our realtors efforts, THANK YOU ROY ROBERTSON!

Again, the desirable lots and homes go quickly when they come on the market, the 2 hour window is no BS for these properties. It's not a high pressure sales tactic, the realtors are actually being very honest about the sales process here and how important it is to make a decision if the house you want is really the house you want.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:45 AM
Gold member

Think back.....just maybe 2 years ago, the same high pressure philosophy was being used..... remember the words

"Build Out"

just saying.....
Old 03-26-2018, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Think back.....just maybe 2 years ago, the same high pressure philosophy was being used..... remember the words

"Build Out"

just saying.....
Had you thought, that the Morse family, who had already earned enough for themselves and their children to live independently for a great long time, may have considered retiring? And then maybe, JUST MAYBE, may have thought about all of the people who worked for them who would not have jobs, and the Morses might have decided to continue to enjoy this amazing success story going down in history, a little longer. Maybe the three siblings even argued about it, one or two may have wanted to continue and the other retire........who knows,. It would not surprise me.

Two of our friends, the women lived here for four or five years because their husbands had businesses up North that when closed would shut down jobs for long time employees. One owed an IT company and the other owned a dentist office. Both the guys live here now but anguished over closing their business for the reason I just stated.

Maybe the Morses are crumby, nasty, greedy souls and they have me fooled, but I look around me at all of the things that could have been less nice and someone kept the change, and I think they are good old Michigan folks.

Now I have to say...Go Bucks. Please don't tell anyone I praised Michigan folks.

THE ABOVE IS A JOKE. PLEASE DON'T Start on me.

Tags
nearby, complain, hearing, month, blast

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.