Duke Energy

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2020, 12:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts
Default Duke Energy

We are moving to a new home in the Village of Bradford in September that is serviced by Duke Energy; who has them and how is their service during a storm like Irma?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

I cannot speak specifically for the Bradford area, however the historic area of the villages where the lines are OVERHEAD had significant outages, the newer areas where the lines are buried had very few or in our case (south of 466a) no outages during Irma.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I cannot speak specifically for the Bradford area, however the historic area of the villages where the lines are OVERHEAD had significant outages, the newer areas where the lines are buried had very few or in our case (south of 466a) no outages during Irma.
Lines are not overhead in the historic district.

We lost power for a few days during Irma but it was due to a power station being flooded.

A few other areas lost power as well.

I've been here for over eight years and Irma was the only hurricane that affected us at all. It was a huge hurricane and there was really not a lot of damage.

Most hurricanes do not have that much of an impact on an area that is so far inland. I'm not saying that it's not possible that we have a bad one hit, and I have precautions in place. But it is not something that is on the top of my list of things to be concerned about.

Duke, by the way has been great in communicating during the few times that we have had problems.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:51 AM
Veteran member

For what it's worth, during Irma there were far more outages in The Villages for Duke than SECO. SECO had virtually none, and even provided trucks and workers to assist Duke in getting everyone back on line.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Part of your problem, if you have an outage, is that Duke tries to fix the outages that affect the most customers first. So you could have a long wait if there are many outages.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:47 PM

I would hope that would be the case for all utility suppliers!
Old 08-27-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Part of your problem, if you have an outage, is that Duke tries to fix the outages that affect the most customers first......
As it should be.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:24 AM

We have DUKE just south of Spanish Springs and are happy with them. They do a great job communicating updates when there is an outage...assuming you sign up with them for updates. Outages have been very minimal...and usually only for a very short time. Irma was an exception. Even though our lines are underground, the station feeding us was knocked out during IRMA...took three days to restore....all of Spanish Springs square was out also. Otherwise the only outages we've experienced are brief...like a minute or two during storms...and even then very rarely.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:28 AM

I believe rjm1cc is correct. We are in Rio Grande among a row of around 7 houses that have Duke. The surrounding houses have SECO. During Irma we were out for 3 or 4 days while no one else around us lost power. I believe they repair the areas with the most outages first.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:32 AM

What difference does it make. You don’t choose your utilities
Old 08-28-2020, 06:50 AM

I was also wondering why it is up for discussion. You do not have a choice. We have been here 23 yrs and have Duke (they purchased Fl. Power which is who we had originally) and have had very few outages and even then very short. .so just enjoy your house and leave the rest to God. Stay safe.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:53 AM
Default I have Duke Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
We are moving to a new home in the Village of Bradford in September that is serviced by Duke Energy; who has them and how is their service during a storm like Irma?

Thanks for any feedback.
I was not here when Irma hit, but my neighbors tell me it was not that bad. Duke is much larger than SECO and I think more reliable, once you move load the app in your phone, you can get information directly to your phone including estimated bill based on your usage.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandHSTAR@AOL.com View Post
I was also wondering why it is up for discussion. You do not have a choice. We have been here 23 yrs and have Duke (they purchased Fl. Power which is who we had originally) and have had very few outages and even then very short. .so just enjoy your house and leave the rest to God. Stay safe.
I thought the same because if you do not want a certain utility you would have to make that decision before you buy. Them I thought that they may actually be trying to deterring if they should get an electric generator for back up. Or maybe some medical needs came up that need to be addressed.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:39 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Wouldn't the prudent thing been to ask this before buying? No matter what answers you get the only solution would be to move again.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:53 AM

We are in Santo Domingo and have had Duke for 18 years. The best and very reasonable bills.
Closed Thread

Tags
duke, irma, storm, service, serviced

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.