Dutch translator

Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2021, 10:21 AM

Realize that Google Translate needs to improve at times. Also - though not the exact situation here - you should always "re-translate" anything you hope you are putting into a language other than English using Google Translate. For instance, Google translated "family ties" into French for me as something that the re-translation would have shown meant "Family neckties" , That is - Google used "cravatte" the French for necktie, not "lien" the French for tie. (I happened to know "cravatte" since I speak a little French, and I knew "lien" is usually link or chain but I guess it could be "tie" - This was my lesson that I should always re-translate.)
Old 04-09-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Schwenn View Post
I have a letter written to me by a great aunt in the Netherlands several years ago. I can’t read it because I don’t read Dutch. I wonder if there is anyone in the villages who might translate the letter for me.
My husband is Dutch (became a U.S. citizen) and could easily translate for you. If you would like to scan the page(s) I will type out the translation in a reply to you. My email address is cathyjaspers@gmail.com.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgout View Post
Dutch is my native tongue. I will be happy to help you. Let me know how to contact you.
How nice!
Old 04-10-2021, 08:52 AM
Default Dutch Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Schwenn View Post
I have a letter written to me by a great aunt in the Netherlands several years ago. I can’t read it because I don’t read Dutch. I wonder if there is anyone in the villages who might translate the letter for me.
Good Morning, I think you can go online and get a translation app.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:32 AM

I can read Dutch but I'm not an expert at it. My parents spoke Dutch to me all my life but I never learned to read or write it since we moved to the US before I was in first grade. If you can't translate it any other way, I'm willing to give it a shot. I can probably translate most of it and have a good Dutch-English dictionary for some unknown words. Unfortunately, I'll be away from The Villages until April 18 but let me know if you'd like me to try after that. Janneke Nauta Bogyo, Village of Piedmont
Old 04-10-2021, 02:44 PM

I lived in Holland as a youth. So my Dutch is pretty rusty. But I can probably give you a good idea what she wrote. Email me at tjohnhall@gmail.com
Old 04-10-2021, 10:32 PM

You are a kind and thoughtful person
Old 04-12-2021, 10:18 AM

I’m dutch and I can help with the translation. Pls call me at (520) 255-7859 my name is Carmen.
Closed Thread

Tags
dutch, letter, read, don’t, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.