E-Bikes on bike/walking paths

Old 04-29-2024, 06:15 PM

Easy search of google: "The federal speed limit for eBikes is 20 miles per hour or less under motor power alone. The tiered classification system, adopted by many states, also specifies this speed limit. That classification sets 20 miles per hour as the legal limit for Class 1 & 2 bikes."

Class 3 is fairly new. Since mopeds have forever been limited to <30 MPH, I would assume Class 3 ebikes should be considered mopeds.
Moped - state license plate required.
For use on the city streets with other traffic.
(btw: the pedals on mopeds are mostly for starting, or a slow-chugalug when out of gas)

I am still capable of riding my bike at 20mph, but usually cruise at ~15. Some of the ebikes are passing me BIG-time. I'd guess ~30 mph.
No they do not belong on walking paths, nor the MMPs unless they can hold it to 20 MPH like the golf carts should do.

Why is everyone in such a damn hurry here? Do you know where your next stop in life is?
I'm in no hurry to get there.
Take time to smell the roses.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:16 PM

I don't know of any mopeds that are restricted to 20mph or less and have an output of maximum 750W (1hp).
Old 04-29-2024, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I was referring to Lulinn's reply stating that they slow down to 10MPH when passing someone from behind. That is too fast.
If a bicycle going past you at 10mph is "too fast" suggest you stay home. The non mmps paths are for walkers and bikers, neither has superior rights over the other.

I ride many paths outside TV like Santos, Baseline trail, Withlacoochee etc. These all allow walkers bikes bikes etc. It is usually the walkers that cause problems, such as walking 3 or 4 abreast and hogging the path, walking on wrong side of path (these paths all have signs to keep right) or they are walking untrained dogs that lunge as you ride by. I always ring my bell but amazingly, about half of them step to their left. Anyway, if bikes passing you on 15 foot wide paths is too scary maybe invest in a treadmill.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,985 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
I own an e-bike, the kind that looks like a moped style motorcycle. Powered by battery, but has pedals and can be fully operated without the battery.

I've seen conflicting information on where I'm allowed to use this. I see regular bicycles that are battery assisted on bike paths everyday. When I've ridden my e-bike on these a handful of times, I've experienced negative reactions from people.

Meanwhile, I'm just trying to avoid driving my fairly small e-bike in the golf cart lane and getting run down by someone in their SUV with diminished vision.

I've been unable to find any clear rules about this when it comes to bike/walking paths. I'm specifically referring to the type south of 44 where they are separate from the MMPs.

Mopeds (considered 49CC or less) require licensed plates therefore not allowed on MMP. On other hand electric bikes allowed even though don’t have to pedal them but has the ability to pedal, the don’t require licensing so good to go.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:04 PM

In Florida, people can ride e-bikes anywhere human-powered bikes can, such as bike lanes, multi-use paths, streets, and sidewalks.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:54 PM

Lots of ebikes on the walking trails behind my house. Even a motorized skateboarder with a boom box that goes faster than any golf cart. So no rules I guess. Just be careful Mostly walkers on these paths.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:58 AM
Default Walking and bikes

If you choose to walk on any paths with your back to traffic you have automatic entry for the Darwin awards.

Speaking as one run over by a bike I always want to see any kind of traffic coming at me.

Walking on the left makes sense.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:00 AM

The O.P. was asking about ebike on the WALKING paths, which are defined differently than the MMPs (multi modal paths)....these are specifically designed for walking only while the MMPs are for all vehicles (under 35mph)

South of Rt 44 are dedicated walking paths, pathways including bicycles, and the MMPs

Map: http://https://cdn2.thevillages.com/...WEB_042021.jpg
Old 04-30-2024, 07:05 AM

So we need a definition now for Walking Path? What part of walking is confusing?
Old 04-30-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire View Post
I don't know of any mopeds that are restricted to 20mph or less and have an output of maximum 750W (1hp).
fyi: "mopeds" are gas powered vehicles. Usually somewhat noisy, with exhaust smells and sometimes visible exhaust.
Cheap run-around-town vehicles very common years ago, especially with high schoolers.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:20 AM

It is just logical that if golf carts are limited to 20 MPH everywhere; then any other vehicle allowed on the MMPs should be limited to 20 MPH, and everywhere else.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,429 Times in 2,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillarick View Post
It is just logical that if golf carts are limited to 20 MPH everywhere; then any other vehicle allowed on the MMPs should be limited to 20 MPH, and everywhere else.
There is no logic to that at all.

Walking is physically limited to less thsn 5moh. Is it therefore logical that any other mode of transportation using the MMP should be limited to 5mph?

It really seems like "share the path" should be adequate.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-30-2024, 08:04 AM

Here's from TV website:
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...te=1&p=2326652

So bikes are allowed on the pedestrian walkways.
Hogeye Preserve Pathway is considered a "pedestrian path", but look at bottom of the webpage where it shows what modes of traffic allowed.

I sympathize with the walkers, the bikes should not be using it like a racecourse, it is a nature trail for enjoying the calm and scenery.
If bikes feel the need for a bell or horn, both are in the wrong.

Walkers should always walk facing opposing traffic. Didn't you learn anything in grade school, and Boy/Girl Scouts ?

The Villages Florida
Old 04-30-2024, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
There is no logic to that at all.

Walking is physically limited to less thsn 5moh. Is it therefore logical that any other mode of transportation using the MMP should be limited to 5mph?

It really seems like "share the path" should be adequate.
Yeah, everyone wants to do 30+ in a golf cart.

There are signs at every entrance to The Villages that paraphrased say; 'if no speed limit is posted, the speed limit is 20 MPH.'

Also, senior eyesight not so good, you should slow-down. (not posted, just logical)
Old 04-30-2024, 08:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
Most regular bicycles travel at 15-20 mph, so if you're walking facing traffic so you can see what's coming at you, you should have no problems.
On walking paths protocol is to walk on the right. There are a few rebels who insist on the left but they’re walking against everyone else. Husband and I joke that they must be European. Point is bikes come up from behind.

Tags
paths, e-bike, battery, bike/walking, fairly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.