E-Bikes on bike/walking paths

E-Bikes on bike/walking paths

Notices

You are viewing a old design of the TOTV site. It will be disabled anytime. Click here to switch to the new version.

Unread 04-30-2024, 02:39 PM
Sage

Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,416 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erider View Post
If a bicycle going past you at 10mph is "too fast" suggest you stay home. The non mmps paths are for walkers and bikers, neither has superior rights over the other.

I ride many paths outside TV like Santos, Baseline trail, Withlacoochee etc. These all allow walkers bikes bikes etc. It is usually the walkers that cause problems, such as walking 3 or 4 abreast and hogging the path, walking on wrong side of path (these paths all have signs to keep right) or they are walking untrained dogs that lunge as you ride by. I always ring my bell but amazingly, about half of them step to their left. Anyway, if bikes passing you on 15 foot wide paths is too scary maybe invest in a treadmill.
If walkers walking 3 or 4 abreast and dogs walking on the wrong side annoy you "STAY HOME" that is not a safety issue. Riding a bike on a walking path 10 MPH while passing a walker or dog is a danger to all involved. Anyway, if those walking abreast with their dogs are to scary for you, maybe learn to ride your bike on the MMP or invest in an air bike.

Unread 04-30-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I am not sure I understand, as a motorcycle, scooter, moped rider… why should any powered bikes be allowed on a “walking” trail? I know you have a great deal of control on these machines, can fit into tight places, and swerve easily - but their possible speed and weight in an unobservant moment, can make them quite dangerous.
I can agree with that. Primary use walking/hiking - there should be no powered vehicles.

Exception: Handicapped (powered) wheelchairs - errr - for the legally handicapped.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gorillarick For This Useful Post:
Florida Law
Unread 04-30-2024, 03:39 PM

Default Florida Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillarick View Post
Easy search of google: "The federal speed limit for eBikes is 20 miles per hour or less under motor power alone. The tiered classification system, adopted by many states, also specifies this speed limit. That classification sets 20 miles per hour as the legal limit for Class 1 & 2 bikes."

Class 3 is fairly new. Since mopeds have forever been limited to <30 MPH, I would assume Class 3 ebikes should be considered mopeds.
Moped - state license plate required.
For use on the city streets with other traffic.
(btw: the pedals on mopeds are mostly for starting, or a slow-chugalug when out of gas)

I am still capable of riding my bike at 20mph, but usually cruise at ~15. Some of the ebikes are passing me BIG-time. I'd guess ~30 mph.
No they do not belong on walking paths, nor the MMPs unless they can hold it to 20 MPH like the golf carts should do.

Why is everyone in such a damn hurry here? Do you know where your next stop in life is?
I'm in no hurry to get there.
Take time to smell the roses.

In Florida, people can ride e-bikes anywhere human-powered bikes can, such as bike lanes, multi-use paths, streets, and sidewalks.
Unread 04-30-2024, 09:24 PM

Thanked 1,138 Times in 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I was referring to Lulinn's reply stating that they slow down to 10MPH when passing someone from behind. That is too fast.
10mph is NOT too fast. I ding my bell and slow to ten. It is twice as fast as you are walking but it is slooow for a bicycle.
Unread 04-30-2024, 09:30 PM

Thanked 1,138 Times in 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
I own an e-bike, the kind that looks like a moped style motorcycle. Powered by battery, but has pedals and can be fully operated without the battery.

I've seen conflicting information on where I'm allowed to use this. I see regular bicycles that are battery assisted on bike paths everyday. When I've ridden my e-bike on these a handful of times, I've experienced negative reactions from people.

Meanwhile, I'm just trying to avoid driving my fairly small e-bike in the golf cart lane and getting run down by someone in their SUV with diminished vision.

I've been unable to find any clear rules about this when it comes to bike/walking paths. I'm specifically referring to the type south of 44 where they are separate from the MMPs.
E-bikes are bicycles and are allowed. I ride all the paths south of 44 twice daily. I have a 1000 watt mid-drive with both pedal assist and a throttle. I always ding my bell or call out to walkers before passing them and I slow to at least 10mph & I never ride faster than 15-20mph. I am often passed by those racer type bicycle riders on non-electrics so it is not only ebike riders who may be going fast.
Unread 04-30-2024, 09:30 PM
Sage

Thanked 9,594 Times in 3,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
You are referring to the signs on the public highways, right? Logically, those signs apply to traffic on the streets. The only signs I remember seeing on the MMPs are the few 10mph signs such as the one crossing the bridge at Lake Sumter.

Are those seniors with poor eyesight the same ones driving automobiles 40mph down Morse and 80mph on the turnpike? If their eyesight is good enough for that...
By Paradise Rec Center the posted speed limit is 15, even though I don't know of anyone who obeys it, ever. I slow down, but usually clock myself at an average of 17 most of the time. I do try. I get passed a lot, and I see impatient drivers giving me nasty looks in my rear view mirror. But that's their problem. I -try- to do the right thing. They don't care about doing the right thing.

Once you get to the Boone Gate on Paradise, the posted speed limit becomes 25, not 20.
Unread 04-30-2024, 09:38 PM
Sage

Thanked 9,594 Times in 3,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Mopeds are designed to be used with a throttle. The pedal functions primarily as the method to start the engine, and secondarily as places to put your feet while you ride. While they CAN be pedaled, they weigh too much and are too top-heavy for pedaling them to be practical for anything other than emergencies (walking it a few blocks to the nearest gas station when it runs out of gas, or rolling it up a ramp onto the back of a pickup truck.). In the state of Florida they are categorized with motorcycles if they're 50ccs or more, and as scooters if they're under 50ccs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Say same thing about electric bikes.
No, the two aren't remotely similar. They're different types of vehicles.
Florida law
Unread 05-02-2024, 06:56 PM

Default Florida law

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
The O.P. was asking about ebike on the WALKING paths, which are defined differently than the MMPs (multi modal paths)....these are specifically designed for walking only while the MMPs are for all vehicles (under 35mph)

South of Rt 44 are dedicated walking paths, pathways including bicycles, and the MMPs

Map: http://https://cdn2.thevillages.com/...WEB_042021.jpg

In Florida, people can ride e-bikes anywhere human-powered bikes can, such as bike lanes, multi-use paths, streets, and sidewalks.
Unread 05-03-2024, 08:51 AM
Sage

Thanked 4,988 Times in 2,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
If walkers walking 3 or 4 abreast and dogs walking on the wrong side annoy you "STAY HOME" that is not a safety issue. Riding a bike on a walking path 10 MPH while passing a walker or dog is a danger to all involved. Anyway, if those walking abreast with their dogs are to scary for you, maybe learn to ride your bike on the MMP or invest in an air bike.
Rules for walking on left edge not lumberjacking down path blocking path. Group walkers don’t get special rules. When traffic (other walkers, bikes, skaters, or anything else approaching. Walkers has responsibility to walk in safe manner not limberjaxking along hogging path, MMP, or road.
Unread 05-03-2024, 08:53 AM
Sage

Thanked 4,988 Times in 2,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
No, the two aren't remotely similar. They're different types of vehicles.
You do know they have electric scooters the will go well over 2o MPH, no different than moped. Regulations haven’t coughs up YET. But it will in near future.
Unread 05-04-2024, 02:43 AM
Gold member

I PREFER people ride e-bikes on the MMP...Especially e-assist up hills.
Unread 05-04-2024, 05:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Proper Villager etiquette requires you to scowl at any ebikes, bicycles, or golf carts you may discover using your walking path, and complain loudly on TOV.

And of, course, if you happen to encounter any walkers inconsiderately using your golf cart, bicycle, or ebike path for walking, the opposite etiquette applies!
Haha, true… My favorite when biking on the walking paths are the people who wear earbuds, have their dog on a leash, dog is on one side of the path, person is on the other, the leash has become a trip wire and I slow way down, ring my bell, yell hello and the person jumps and says…”I’m so sorry, I was in my own little world”…..

Tags
paths, e-bike, battery, bike/walking, fairly