Eastport Design

Old 04-06-2024, 09:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGuyNJ View Post
Try getting around with a cane where gravity is not your friend. I cringe when I see a cobblestone road. I'm hopefull they will do the cobblestone look with flat pavers more than a true cobblestone. Either way, it should be nice.
I’m pretty sure the developer has taken that concern into account and probably will use an ergonomically (Drs, correct me) friendly application
Old 04-06-2024, 09:55 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,690 Times in 452 Posts

Lots of negative posts about a square that isn’t even built yet. I guess those folks won’t be patronizing the area. I have a strong feeling this square is going to be wildly popular with the south of 44 crowd.

Isn’t retirement and living in The Villages the best!
Old 04-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,040 Times in 1,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Lake Sumter Landing = Disney-like!?!?

My personal opinion it is the best organized, overall town square/shop/relax area of them all.

Back in the day of the original senior Morse family members, Lake Sumter Landing was to be the hub of TV........that is of course past as is the concept of TV.....now it is go-go-expand-expand-buy some more-expand some more....repeat!
Good! I prefer Lake Sumter not be the hub. Too many people, too much crowding, too much traffic … let it be somewhere else. I’m very happy to hear people have somewhere else to congregate.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
Vmail from Tracy and Deven both say The streets will have the feel of European market with alley side streets for that intimate dining or a stroll. Closing off the Main Street in the evening.

If not mistaken both said Eastport is designed after old water towns that were dedicated to ship building.
The design work and theme's those two women with their teams have innovated, inspired and lead is truly impressive.

I don't think you could count all the buildings, squares, rec centers and restaurants developed under their influence.
Old 04-06-2024, 12:31 PM
Veteran member

Wow looks great. Great design and ideas.
Old 04-06-2024, 01:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,684 Times in 633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Lots of negative posts about a square that isn’t even built yet. I guess those folks won’t be patronizing the area.
You are correct. We will probably visit Eastport after it is built, but I doubt we will patronize it.

Quote:
I have a strong feeling this square is going to be wildly popular with the south of 44 crowd.
I think you are correct again. We think Sawgrass is a wretched, noisy, and overcrowded venue. Yesterday we parked near the Ezell pool and went for a great walk around the lakes in St. Catherine and had a great time. At the end of our walk we stopped at Sawgrass for a few minutes and it was as horrible as we remembered, but it appeared to be wildly popular.

Quote:
Isn’t retirement and living in The Villages the best!
Yes, it really is!!!
Old 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I have seen airports and mall food courts with as much charm as Sawgrass Grove. But the food was cheaper at the airport.
and cheaper than Vegas. $70 for a pizza
Old 04-06-2024, 01:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Cobblestone roads?

Are the local orthopedists sponsoring those roads?
I can’t imagine them being stupid enough to put in cobblestone roads, they don’t work well in Europe either.
Old 04-06-2024, 01:44 PM

When is Eastport opening?
Old 04-06-2024, 01:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
I thought they were making golf cart only parking - they can fit more spots into the area
The said in the video that during entertainment that they will close off the cobblestone streets to golf carts, so basically taking away the golf cart parking during the busiest times.
Old 04-06-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGuyNJ View Post
Try getting around with a cane where gravity is not your friend. I cringe when I see a cobblestone road. I'm hopefull they will do the cobblestone look with flat pavers more than a true cobblestone. Either way, it should be nice.
Recommendation: Use the sidewalks rather than walk in the road. Erp...
Old 04-06-2024, 01:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I can’t imagine them being stupid enough to put in cobblestone roads, they don’t work well in Europe either.
Again, think Disney ....a faux or composite application. They’re not gonna put in a 1930’s era cobblestone like the ones that have survived in major cities on East Coast. With ADA mandates and conceptual knowledge of the demo it will serve....the developer is not blind to this.
Old 04-06-2024, 01:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,672 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post

I think you are correct again. We think Sawgrass is a wretched, noisy, and overcrowded venue. Yesterday we parked near the Ezell pool and went for a great walk around the lakes in St. Catherine and had a great time. At the end of our walk we stopped at Sawgrass for a few minutes and it was as horrible as we remembered, but it appeared to be wildly popular.
Too funny.
Old 04-06-2024, 03:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
The said in the video that during entertainment that they will close off the cobblestone streets to golf carts, so basically taking away the golf cart parking during the busiest times.
They close off entry to the squares now major events.

Looks like no parking on the lake side road but a block of golf cart only parking along the central entry street.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7585.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	103570  
Old 04-06-2024, 03:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Again, think Disney ....a faux or composite application. They’re not gonna put in a 1930’s era cobblestone like the ones that have survived in major cities on East Coast. With ADA mandates and conceptual knowledge of the demo it will serve....the developer is not blind to this.
Ok, that might work. I give the developer (s) more respect than to put in old European style cobblestones - it’s like having to put ice in your icebox to keep things cool like long ago because there were no fridges.

Tags
eastport, design, family, renderings, peek

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.