Eating out more or less since you moved to TV

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2020, 07:03 AM

About the same, home M-Th, take out or out for the w/e. You could try some of the meals at home services, haven’t myself but friends rave about them, HelloFresh, Fresh and Easy.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:05 AM

I thought my wife and I were the only ones who didn't enjoy dining out here. Boring is the right word for our local restaurants. Love creating meals at home, better wine and drinks, too.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:26 AM

A couple times weekly. We also eat our “big” meal between 3-4 pm so we avoid most of the long waits. We have a light snack in the evening if we get a munchy.

I agree with others that the restaurants here are mostly forgettable. We’ve found a few we like:

Francescos, Japanese Steakhouse, Nancy Lopez, Naldo, Los Mayagues for “nicer”
dining.

Eatons and Gator Joes for beachy-tiki pub grub.

Artmans for BBQ

Keke, Darrells, Metro for breakfast.

Culver’s for fast food.

We also like Great Chicago Fire for Italian beef and gyros. Their pizza is just OK. We’re still searching for good Chicago tavern-style thin closer than Spring Hill and St. Pete! Any suggestions?

Last edited by ChicagoNative; 02-23-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:10 AM
theruizs

We dine out together maybe 2 or 3 times a month. I’m not too picky about where she wants to go because I am vegetarian and can usually find something to eat just about anywhere. She dines out a lot more with her quilting club friends, 3 times a week at least for lunch or dinner and sometimes both. But I prefer to eat at home and prepare meals for myself. My wife will prepare a few dishes for me that she is good at, like vegetarian goulash or vegetarian Texas hash (I know, vegetarian and Texas in the same sentence is an oxymoron).
Old 02-23-2020, 08:19 AM

We only eat out about once a week, we did that before coming here. I do like to cook for us and yes the food is better at home usually, but we did find those new food trucks in Marsh woods with the nice walking trail. We have only tried the Mexican truck and they are very accommodating to your food needs. We are plant based so that makes it even harder to eat out.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:20 AM

Eating out during the season is a tough prospect. Long waits, spotty service, mediocre food at most so we are more prone to eat out during warm weather when waits are short, service is better and you don't feel so rushed.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:30 AM

We go for a late lunch 2-4 times a week, 1 or 2 of them with friends. Occasionally eat breakfast out and very occasionally, dinner. We also go to Culver's for custard several times a month for the daily special flavor.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:59 AM

Very Rarely. Usually a few times a year. Restaurant food is rarely as good as if I make it myself, and always not worth the price. Makes it worth the price to buy GOOD meat, and fresh fish from good sourses, for special meals.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:51 AM

We were eating out about 3 times a week until the snow birds came back, now maybe 3 times a month. I'm not standing in line for an hour at a restaurant, plus all the traffic headaches
Old 02-23-2020, 10:28 AM

Go to The Villages Gourmet Club website and take a look at the data base of over 900 restaurants of all types of food and styles of dining.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:35 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,783 Times in 3,649 Posts

We don't dine out much...................lots of time to cook at home. We enjoy the process of cooking. With the addition of an Insta Pot, it's a new adventure.

I would guess we eat out once per week, usually with a group.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Bob Evans on 466/Parr Drive

We get take out a couple of times a month and have noticed a couple of questionable practices. First, if you pay with a credit card on Take Outs it will not except your credit
card unless you check off a tip amount they recommend or check other and put something on it. Second, they do not list the prices on the item's purchased but rather just show a total amount and last you will most likely miss something on the order so be sure to review it before you leave. The sad part is that the food is good but their practices and management leaves a lot to be improved. These observation's are not from singular experiences but rather a pattern we have observed over time. What has been an annoying practice is to get the meal home only to find out that something is missing and it it a pain to take it back for correction. There are other annoying problems and their problems are really associated with management as opposed to food which is usually good.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:18 AM

I heartily agree! When my husband and I dine out we look for a relaxing experience where we can get well-prepared food that I don't usually make at home. I found most of the restaurants we encountered to be mediocre at best and found we dined out much less than we did when up north, maybe once a week. Red Sauce, Sakura, Gianni's and Oakwood Grill were our best bets. As far eating fish, I bought fresh fish and seafood at Lighthouse on rte. 466 and prepared it at home.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:43 AM
Default Eating out

We've lived here 3 years and the restaurant food is getting much worse. Tried Evans Prairie the other night, awful.

We go to Ocala for cajun food at Harry's, Inverness for shrimp and catfish at Stumpknockers and drive down to Wesley Chapel for mexican food at Cantina Laredo or try Cheddars also in Wesley Chapel.

Get out and drive a few miles and you'll find good decent food at good prices, just get out of The Villages.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Nothing has changed since we moved back to Florida in 2011. Our big meal is lunch, has always been my main meal and same for my wife. We eat lunch out about 6 days a week. Sunday we'll have a nice lunch (meal) at home. Today it's spaghetti with salad. Dinner we eat at home all the time. I think the only two times I had dinner out was when I was in a club, a monthly gathering. I really felt out of place eating out so late. At home, I'll have something casual for dinner, could be a sandwich, soup, tuna Fish, whatever, nothing major since my lunch was the big meal. Breakfast is just milk and a muffin. My weight has been the same since 1972.
Closed Thread

Tags
eating, moved, eat, wondering, cocktails

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.