Ecobee smart thermostat, Yale smart door lock, Ring doorbell help

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2023, 08:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,134 Times in 814 Posts

[QUOTE=asianthree;2227114]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
And all this to be charged a monthly fee, (nice).

No fee, not sure who you are using, my app is free, along with the 6 changes I made yesterday to tweak schedules, and couple of temps.
Sorry, you are right, I stand corrected, no fee for this app.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,774 Times in 5,272 Posts

With the Ring doorbell, the app is free, but the only thing you can do is to view the live camera. If you sign up for the lowest level plan, it is $39.99 per year, and you can view recorded short videos of any movement detected at the door. You can also save those videos by copying them to your hard drive. I think the plan is worth buying.
Old 06-17-2023, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
We have a Ecobee smart thermostat and use it in the holding setting.
You turn it on.
You turn it off.
You raise the temperature
You lower the temperature

Easy
Peasy
LOL, exactly how we use it except we added 3 sensors to (poorly) help keep room temps average out. Sensors really only help if you have a zoned A/C system and we don't. Got it mostly for remote use because it's a "cool toy" just like the Rachio Irrigations system and found 90% of the "smart" features were overkill.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 06-17-2023, 03:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
LOL, exactly how we use it except we added 3 sensors to (poorly) help keep room temps average out. Sensors really only help if you have a zoned A/C system and we don't. Got it mostly for remote use because it's a "cool toy" just like the Rachio Irrigations system and found 90% of the "smart" features were overkill.
Yea, to bad all these marvelous high tech products find a way to drain
a monthly fee from our pockets to use all the features.
Good thing Ecobee's app is free
Old 06-17-2023, 05:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Ecobee has a feature that you can run the fan after the HVAC shuts down to control
rooms that are hard to cool for x-amount of time.
With those ventilation bellows installed in our hot attics is this a good idea
and does anyone use this feature?
Old 06-17-2023, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Ecobee has a feature that you can run the fan after the HVAC shuts down to control
rooms that are hard to cool for x-amount of time.
With those ventilation bellows installed in our hot attics is this a good idea
and does anyone use this feature?
The 3 front bedrooms, along with kitchen, LR and dining area are all cooler than the primary bedroom (farthest from hvac)/and laundry/office(shared wall with hvac)
When I installed app I didn’t notice that feature, but will investigate
Old 06-18-2023, 12:45 AM
Veteran member

I have my whole house automated using my iPhone, iPad, and computer to control everything and I did it myself.
Of course, this site has very little useful information on how to do things and they keep recommending the geek squad to install things which are useless in anything geekish.
You install each ring system differently. Mine, I had to short the terminals in the house chime box, and ring doorbell alerts us if the doorbell rings or if there is motion.
When you buy a product to automate a function, like your thermostat, garage doors, vacuum, outside doors, lights, sprinkler system, refrigerator and stove, you need to know which smart home capabilities it supports and what you want to use: apples HomeKit, google home, Alexa, and is it wifi capable, Bluetooth, z-wave.
There is a lot of info that you need to put in your ecobee to make it useful. Setup programs to vary temps during the day and night, high humidity settings, change furnace filter reminder settings, hook up to your wifi 2.4ghz network, and more.
I automate everything that I stated above and if you do it yourself, or have the geek squad do it, you would have 10 different apps to start to operate them.
I use 1 app and have 1 icon representing each device on the page to make it very easy to use. On this page, I can start the vacuum, change the stove temp, start a zone on sprinkler system, lock/unlock the doors (garage and house doors). Or better yet, I can just state Siri to open the front door. Plus every time a door opens or closes, stove reaches the desire temp, the refrigerator door is open, I get an alert on all of our handheld devices.
I don’t pay any annual fees for ecobee to automate it.
If you want some help PM me.
Closed Thread

Tags
smart, ecobee, doorbell, ring, lock

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.