Ecobee Thermostat Circuit Breaker

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2022, 09:50 AM
Default Ecobee Thermostat Circuit Breaker

Thanks to everyone who responded. Although I found the problem (A/H circuit breaker was turned off), it was still useful to know that a clogged drain line could cause a similar problem. I had flushed the drain line a few months ago, but was not aware that it could also be a reason for shutdown.

Update: Problem solved. In our home (Cottage Villa in Gilson Loop, Village of St. Catherine), the Ecobee thermostat is wired into the same circuit breaker that controls heating. On my circuit breaker panel, that circuit breaker is labelled "A/H", which I assume means "Air handler - heating". A couple days ago, the Empty Nest service did a house check and one of the things they did was to turn off that circuit breaker - assuming (I guess) that a house in Florida during the summer does Not Ever need to have heat turned on. I had my neighbor flip that breaker back on, and the thermostat powered up and is working fine now! Thanks Neighbor!!!

I'm away from Florida right now, and my Ecobee thermostat is telling me that it's 'offline'. My Ecobee cameras are working fine, so I know it's not a problem with my wireless router or internet. I was just wondering if anyone has identified which circuit breaker is used to provide power to the thermostat. A few months ago, I went through the entire house and figured out which circuit breakers controlled every appliance, outlet, lights, etc. But one thing I forgot to check was the thermostat! I'm assuming that the thermostat is wired into a circuit that provides power to several other 'items' (since it doesn't draw much power). Maybe someone has checked this out already and can give me a hint? I realize that just giving me a breaker number would be meaningless, but it might help if you could tell me how they labelled the breaker on the panel (i.e. "Kitchen outlets", etc.), that might get me closer to a solution. Worst case, I can just have someone flip off each breaker until the thermostat loses power, but that is a little much to ask a neighbor to do for me!

Last edited by Tunesmith; 08-24-2022 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Thanks to all
Old 08-24-2022, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,876 Times in 1,311 Posts

Likely powered with the HVAC/door bell circuit.

Is the HVAC drain being flushed periodically? The float switch disconnects power from the thermostat (in some ?) homes.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunesmith View Post
I'm away from Florida right now, and my Ecobee thermostat is telling me that it's 'offline'. My Ecobee cameras are working fine, so I know it's not a problem with my wireless router or internet. I was just wondering if anyone has identified which circuit breaker is used to provide power to the thermostat. A few months ago, I went through the entire house and figured out which circuit breakers controlled every appliance, outlet, lights, etc. But one thing I forgot to check was the thermostat! I'm assuming that the thermostat is wired into a circuit that provides power to several other 'items' (since it doesn't draw much power). Maybe someone has checked this out already and can give me a hint? I realize that just giving me a breaker number would be meaningless, but it might help if you could tell me how they labelled the breaker on the panel (i.e. "Kitchen outlets", etc.), that might get me closer to a solution. Worst case, I can just have someone flip off each breaker until the thermostat loses power, but that is a little much to ask a neighbor to do for me!
I would get someone in there right away. The power shutdown to the thermostat usually means the float switch has shut down the unit and you have a clogged condensate line. The fact the float switch shut it down is a good thing, if it didn't you would get water in the house.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 08-24-2022, 10:39 AM

A traditional thermostat would be powered by 24 volts a.c. coming from the air handler 240 volt breaker. Double breaker in main panel. If that is tripped, nothing will run and hot will be ungodly hot.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:41 AM

If someone goes in -- it is best to power the thermostat from the 24 vac side of any float switch. Let the float switch kill power to the compressor circuit alone. I want to be able to run the 'Fan' mode even if the float switch is tripped.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:42 AM

Vacuum the condensate drain line -- asap. Shop vac time.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:48 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

What you say is very true have the condensate pump unit checked
Old 08-25-2022, 08:35 AM

Circuit Breakers - unless there is a specific reason for one to be off. Leave them all in the on position. You can call the electrician that wired the house or the warranty department and request a copy of the wiring diagram, then you can determine what is connected to what.
Old 08-25-2022, 09:57 AM
Veteran member

I had my float switch tripped also. I vacuumed the line, but the problem continued. I finally figured out that there was still water in the line to the switch. Once I drained that line and dried the switch everything worked fine.
Old 08-25-2022, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,876 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunesmith View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded. Although I found the problem (A/H circuit breaker was turned off), it was still useful to know that a clogged drain line could cause a similar problem. I had flushed the drain line a few months ago, but was not aware that it could also be a reason for shutdown.

Update: Problem solved. In our home (Cottage Villa in Gilson Loop, Village of St. Catherine), the Ecobee thermostat is wired into the same circuit breaker that controls heating. On my circuit breaker panel, that circuit breaker is labelled "A/H", which I assume means "Air handler - heating". A couple days ago, the Empty Nest service did a house check and one of the things they did was to turn off that circuit breaker - assuming (I guess) that a house in Florida during the summer does Not Ever need to have heat turned on. I had my neighbor flip that breaker back on, and the thermostat powered up and is working fine now! Thanks Neighbor!!!

That breaker needs to be left on for cooling/dehumidification. Humidity especially - 80-82 degrees and 60% humidity are what I shoot for. The Ecobee can also be set to drop the temperature a couple more degrees to help reduce humidity when needed.

I can't imagine Empty Nest messing with the breakers?

A nearby lightening strike can trip a breaker.
Closed Thread

Tags
thermostat, breaker, circuit, power, ecobee

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.