Effect of Poor Golf Course Conditions on Property Values in TV

Old 03-09-2024, 01:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
1st off, ALL championship courses are contracted out for maintenance, except perhaps, Southern Oaks. That will likely be contracted out, when the Developer turns that area over to a CDD.

As for the question of why Glenview is typically in good condition, there are (2) answers.

A. Courses North of 466 (approximately) are operating under a different Water Withdrawal Permit, than the courses south of 466. Different counties. Glenview can use more water (regardless of its source) than Palmer Legends can.

B. The Courses in the North (I believe the contract includes GV, LL & OBG) have a contractor that does a better job than the (2) contractors who maintain the other courses. Unfortunately, the northern contractor has be re-tasked as of 2 months ago and moved to the south to (I believe) handle some issues with Southern Oaks and assist with the new courses under construction.
"Championship Courses are contracted out for maintenance"...You mean to tell me that the developer families aren't out there themselves maintaining their courses? Of course they are contracted out. What other options exist. As property owners in The Villages, we have no control over the conditions of the Championship Courses. We may have a stake in it, but we have no control.

We do have some control over the conditions of the executive courses, in that we have representatives who should be looking out for our interests, and calling to task the shortcomings of whoever is in charge.

As far as water usage, I have heard that, but it doesn't explain why Southern Oaks is way better than Havana. What does explain that fact is that the Developer has a greater interest in keeping S.O. nice, since that is the closest course to the new developments where his financial interests are. His money, he can spend it where he wants, and we have no say in that. But don't swallow the argument that it is a geographical issue.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Then they should go look for themselves and decide.

To paraphrase Forrest Gump, you can't fix stupid.

It is unfortunate that their closest square is not aging well and apparently not a priority. It's why I didn't buy up there.
Which square?
Old 03-09-2024, 08:35 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
It occurred to me that if I were considering buying a place in a retirement community in Florida, and golf was a major factor for me, the conditions of the courses in TV would send me away.

TheVillages.com website markets TV as a golfer's dream. In the 6 years I've been spending my winters here the conditions of the courses has steadily deteriorated, at least during the high season. The value of having so many courses, both championship and executive, diminishes when the greens look like sandboxes in a playground.

I didn't buy my home in TV thinking of it as an investment, nor was golf the primary factor, but I don't want to see any of the amenities be allowed to deteriorate for lack of proper maintenance. I don't want, in 10 years to see the rec centers, pools, tennis courts, pickleball courts, etc not being kept up nicely. Likewise for the plantings and general common landscaping.

I would include the proper conditioning of the golf courses in all of what keeps TV an attractive option for potential buyers.
At one time I would have totally agreed with you, but over some 18 years I've come to learn that there seems to be no end to the numbers of people from all over the world who find the villages to be their number one choice. I have also been surprised at the number of folks who do not play golf and have no intention of ever playing, as well as people who have never been in a single pool, played one game of tennis, or taken one class or activity. I would NEVER have guessed, never. Of course I see all those engaging in all these activities, it's just that the number of individuals we've met at church, in the neighborhood, and just having a coffee at a sidewalk coffee shop who confess they have been here 5, 10, 15 years and have never stepped foot in a pool, rec center, or on a golf course just really shocked me !
Old 03-09-2024, 09:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
It occurred to me that if I were considering buying a place in a retirement community in Florida, and golf was a major factor for me, the conditions of the courses in TV would send me away.

TheVillages.com website markets TV as a golfer's dream. In the 6 years I've been spending my winters here the conditions of the courses has steadily deteriorated, at least during the high season. The value of having so many courses, both championship and executive, diminishes when the greens look like sandboxes in a playground.

I didn't buy my home in TV thinking of it as an investment, nor was golf the primary factor, but I don't want to see any of the amenities be allowed to deteriorate for lack of proper maintenance. I don't want, in 10 years to see the rec centers, pools, tennis courts, pickleball courts, etc not being kept up nicely. Likewise for the plantings and general common landscaping.

I would include the proper conditioning of the golf courses in all of what keeps TV an attractive option for potential buyers.
It certainly can’t help, but it’s possible it could hurt.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:29 PM

Quote:
1st off, ALL championship courses are contracted out for maintenance, except perhaps, Southern Oaks. That will likely be contracted out, when the Developer turns that area over to a CDD.

As for the question of why Glenview is typically in good condition, there are (2) answers.

A. Courses North of 466 (approximately) are operating under a different Water Withdrawal Permit, than the courses south of 466. Different counties. Glenview can use more water (regardless of its source) than Palmer Legends can.

B. The Courses in the North (I believe the contract includes GV, LL & OBG) have a contractor that does a better job than the (2) contractors who maintain the other courses. Unfortunately, the northern contractor has be re-tasked as of 2 months ago and moved to the south to (I believe) handle some issues with Southern Oaks and assist with the new courses under construction.
Good information-but a couple of questions/challenges:
1)I was under the impression (impression, not knowledge) that Belle Glade was also managed directly by the developer, without it being contracted out. Are you positive that Southern Oaks is the only one directly managed at this point?
2)The point about 'water' use is an interesting one-but in the case of all of the closed or 'about' to be closed courses-the issue is TOO much moisture-not too little. Fungus forms with moist conditions, not dry.
3)Glenview and Palmer are both in Sumter County, so it's not about the 'county'-but there is a dividing line in TV where reclaimed water begins to come in play. Not sure exactly where that is exactly. Your point remains an interesting point of contrast though.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
I was being facetious. The Glenview area is spectacular ... which is why "deteriorated" was in quotation marks.
Sheldon sign would have made post clear, sadly we don’t have one.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:49 AM
Default Draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
At one time I would have totally agreed with you, but over some 18 years I've come to learn that there seems to be no end to the numbers of people from all over the world who find the villages to be their number one choice. I have also been surprised at the number of folks who do not play golf and have no intention of ever playing, as well as people who have never been in a single pool, played one game of tennis, or taken one class or activity. I would NEVER have guessed, never. Of course I see all those engaging in all these activities, it's just that the number of individuals we've met at church, in the neighborhood, and just having a coffee at a sidewalk coffee shop who confess they have been here 5, 10, 15 years and have never stepped foot in a pool, rec center, or on a golf course just really shocked me !
Have you been able to come up with any generalities, then, of just what *did* draw such folks here? I find that particularly fascinating.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:52 AM
Default Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Sheldon sign would have made post clear, sadly we don’t have one.
Which one? Sheldon sign - Google Search
Old 03-10-2024, 05:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,047 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeefe45@aol.com View Post
Good information-but a couple of questions/challenges:
1)I was under the impression (impression, not knowledge) that Belle Glade was also managed directly by the developer, without it being contracted out. Are you positive that Southern Oaks is the only one directly managed at this point?
2)The point about 'water' use is an interesting one-but in the case of all of the closed or 'about' to be closed courses-the issue is TOO much moisture-not too little. Fungus forms with moist conditions, not dry.
3)Glenview and Palmer are both in Sumter County, so it's not about the 'county'-but there is a dividing line in TV where reclaimed water begins to come in play. Not sure exactly where that is exactly. Your point remains an interesting point of contrast though.
It's possible that Bell Glade is still managed by the Developer, but that would run contrary to what I've been told by staff. As we all know, accurate information in TV, is elusive.

You're 100% correct about the water usage. I meant it as a general statement, that there are regulatory differences in the volume of water that can be used on the golf courses in TV. This winter wasn't particular dry or wet. It was close to normal and I never bought into the story that "lack of rain" contributed to poor course conditions.

Palmer is near the county line, I suspect? I have been told by a couple of reasonably credible sources, that it operates under a different Water Withdrawal Permit, than GV, OBG & LL. I thought the difference in the permits, was related to geographical considerations, but it's possible it's related to the timing of when the permit was received, and/or other considerations. I have never seen the permits and admittedly, I don't have any experience with Florida Water Withdrawal Permits. I do manage 2 Water Withdrawal Permits in MA and have managed a few others in the past, so I have some general familiarity with how it works, but it's not Florida experience. Generally, Water Withdrawal Permits have a daily and yearly maximum that can be withdrawn and it doesn't usually matter, who's water it is (rainfall, impounded or aquifer). To put this into a little perspective (again, unrelated to Florida), a club I ran (36 Private holes, 9 holes public), we had a Water Withdrawal Permit for 72,000,000 gallons per year (our daily limit was strictly related to well pumping capacity). We could safely go about 20% over our yearly volume limit, without penalty, but would have to "make it up" the next year. We pumped 130,000,000 gallons one year. We were fined $100,000 and forced to remove about 40 acres from "managed turf" (convert 40 acres to fescue). FYI: The Villages is in an unusual situation because of its size. The Villages cannot, under most any circumstances, move water from one county to another. In other words, every drop of water that falls (or is generated) in a county, must remain in that county. Complicates things near the county borders.

You're mostly correct, in that fungus relies on wet conditions to thrive. That said, it's not always a general over-abundance of water, it's a over-abundance of water, over a specific time frame. I could tell you stories of poorly controlled irrigation systems at golf courses, that were "left running" when the Super went home for lunch and thunder storms hit and saturated a golf course. "Water" at a golf course, requires hour to hour management ... not day to day or week to week.

Last edited by BrianL99; 03-10-2024 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I don't understand the distinction being made between "contracted out" and "managed directly by the developer".
Ultimately, unless I'm missing something, it's all contracted out.

In what way is it different?
Old 03-10-2024, 07:04 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I don't understand the distinction being made between "contracted out" and "managed directly by the developer".
Ultimately, unless I'm missing something, it's all contracted out.

In what way is it different?
The difference is:

Contracted out, means a bid was received and the maintenance was out-sourced to another company. To my knowledge, there are 3 different companies that bid and perform this type of work.

Managed/maintained by the owner (Developer) means direct employees of the owner perform the work, under the supervision of the owner's management team.

In my opinion, the problem with sub-contracting the work, is the terms/parameters for a contract, generally aren't "performance based", but are "task based".

In other words, you (the contractor) get paid 'x dollars' for watering, mowing, fertilizing, aerating, etc., a given number of times, as opposed to contract that says: "we'll give you 'X number of dollars'. You have to do whatever it takes to provide good conditions ... you figure it out, just make it work".
Old 03-10-2024, 07:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

thant's nice,but that is far from hw poperty assessments work. The golf courses have absooutly NOTHING to do with them
Old 03-10-2024, 09:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
thant's nice,but that is far from hw poperty assessments work. The golf courses have absooutly NOTHING to do with them
Property assessments eventually come down to market value. Nicer executive courses (as well as nicer championship courses) would make TV a more attractive place to buy, especially in the older areas where there actually are executive courses.

Being more attractive to buy raises the prices folks are willing to pay to buy a home in the area.
This raises market value.

Property assessments follow market value.

Perhaps I am not understanding your comment.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:09 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
You need to step away from the computer and re-evaluate what you typed.

"Assessments" have everything to do with amenities. In the case of golf in The Villages, "Executive courses" are an amenity, Championship courses are a "convenience", which adds similar advantages/value. What you said, is tantamount to saying "your home isn't worth more money, just because it's located 20 steps from the Atlantic ocean". Hardly accurate.

By law, in most every state in the United States, "real estate assessments" are based on one and only one thing. "What a willing seller will pay a willing buyer". It's the law in FL and most everywhere else.

"Amenities" are part of what determines value or in simpler terms, amenities are a significant factor in "what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller".

Amenities are no different than an extra bedroom or extra bathroom. A value (assessment or selling price) is driven by the specific attributes of a home.

You need look no further than houses around, but not in, The Villages. You could transplant a $400,000 home in The Villages, to Lady Lake proper and the house would now be worth (assessed) at $300,000. Why the difference? Amenities.

Last edited by BrianL99; 03-10-2024 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:25 AM
Smile Deep Subject

As folks make the turn to their back nine of life their needs change. First and foremost is the need for safety. The bubble provides that very well. Being around folks your own age and away from hustle and bustle is less stressful, bonus.
Having florida weather is also a bonus. Those items alone will keep values up.
Home values held even during the economy collapse. Only supply and demand factors will determine value changes.

Expectation levels are never good. You are here in the winter and expect summer greens. You need to adjust that. If golf is a major factor than you need to go to a private club community with 1 impeccable golf course. Sorry to say that may put you out of your financial comfort zone. And even then you will get bored of that course and want to play others.

The Villages IS a golfers dream. Where can you play 53 golf courses in 53 days with little travel and never repeat one. And more to come....Never mind all the other rec facilities and social clubs. Its also a retirement dream. The activities are endless.

That being said, everybody's (golfers) concerns all lead back to the same thing, the greens. The bunkers are fine, usually don't come into play. The fairways are fine with preferred lies, the rough is not rough, all very friendly stuff. The complaints are always about the greens. If all the greens went bad, then yes, that may cause a golfer to second think a decision to move here. However, the above mentioned bonus items would bear more weight.

The issue in TV is not the deteriorating conditions of the golf courses, its the inconsistency of the green conditions. Solve that inconsistency and we all benefit.
And yes better greens will help keep values up. (just from less trash talk)
Again, supply and demand will do more to prices. There are a lot of non golfers here.

After reading about all the female dogging about the golf courses, the real bottom line is the greens. Solve that issue and life is wonderful again. In the old days they didn't call them greenskeepers for nothing. All TV needs is to pay more attention to the greens, a lot more with trained eyes who adjust programs for changing conditions. That is the simplest and least costly alternative. More qualified people watching the greens daily.

Quote:

Last edited by Rich Iwaszko; 03-10-2024 at 10:27 AM. Reason: add

Tags
golf, courses, conditions, years, factor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.