Electric Bike

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2023, 07:13 PM
Default Electric Bike

Looking for a decent electric bike...we have only one car and it will be used when we need another form of transportation.

Thank you.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:53 PM

The research I have done has led me to Lectric bikes. We will be buying 2:

Lectric eBikes - Electric Bikes Built so Everyone Can Ride
Old 05-09-2023, 09:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

I've built two ebikes and owned ten. I think I have some insight to offer.

What is your price range? Are you comfortable with a internet only supported ebike or do you want a bike shop one.

Do you have a special purpose in mind or a certain style of bike that you are after? For example I have one that is dedicated to carrying grandkids.

Do you want a natural feel to your ebike assistance or do you just want raw power?

lectric bikes have been mentioned, it's an Internet only bike that excels at value. I wouldn't choose it as I am after features that aren't offered at that price point.

I'll leave you with this, the technologies available fall into the below 2,800.00 range and above. There are few sub 1,000.00 options- Lectric is one of them.

Don't get hung up on power (watts) of ebikes it is easy for manufacturers to lie, so much so that it is meaningless. If you are curious why I'll be happy to elaborate.

Finally expect a wealth of ebikes hatred drivel from posters on this forum/thread.

Last edited by Toymeister; 05-09-2023 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2023, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayerose View Post
Looking for a decent electric bike...we have only one car and it will be used when we need another form of transportation.

Thank you.
We have two ebikes - one from an online manufacturer and one from Elevate Ebikes. We prefer the Elevate ebike and the dealer support they offer. Both bikes were under $2,000. Home - Elevate eBikes
Old 05-10-2023, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Finally expect a wealth of ebikes hatred drivel from posters on this forum/thread.
Very good post, but I wanted to address your last point.

I like the concept of ebikes, and it will probably be my next bike at some point. So I don't hate them.

What I don't like, and I suspect TV may address at some point, is their top speed, which can be well over 20 MPH, which is more than should be sustainable on a MMP. Seems to me that if golf carts aren't supposed to go faster, ebikes should have the same limitation.

Otherwise, they should be required to use the surface roads.
Old 05-10-2023, 05:49 AM

You couldn't pay me enough to ride any type of bike here in the Villages, too many distracted drivers.
Old 05-10-2023, 06:09 AM

I have a Trek Townie Electra 8 speed with only 50 miles. Contact info: macintoshguru@gmail.com.
Old 05-10-2023, 06:26 AM

Just a simple bike to go the market, no carrying grandkids, under $1000....nothing at all fancy.
Old 05-10-2023, 06:46 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayerose View Post
Just a simple bike to go the market, no carrying grandkids, under $1000....nothing at all fancy.
Since your budget is under 1k, I recommend Lectric bikes, they have two models which are under a thousand.

Buying a bike at this price point is like buying an inexpensive subcompact. Everything is just a bit cheaper, mechanical (vice hydraulic) brakes, cheaper tires, seat, smaller battery and so on.

Ebikes either use hub motors or mid drive motors. Hub motors are in the hub (wheel), after the transmission. They operate at about 30% efficiency. They are affordable and represent nearly all of the sub $2,800 bikes.

Mid drive motors are in the crank, before the transmission and operate at 70-90 efficiency.

Whatever you decide you will love your first ebike. The experience of a motor helping you along is like dialing your age back.
Old 05-10-2023, 07:03 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebasset View Post
What I don't like, and I suspect TV may address at some point, is their top speed, which can be well over 20 MPH, which is more than should be sustainable on a MMP. Seems to me that if golf carts aren't supposed to go faster, ebikes should have the same limitation.
We have laws which determine what is a motor vehicle and what is not. The Federal law for golf cart vice low speed vehicle drew the line at 20mph.

A bicycle and ebikes fall under the Consumer Product Safety Commission. They drew the line at 28mph. That has to do with hills and the physical limits of ebikes. In practice 28mph is nearly impossible for most to maintain for any sustainable distance.

California developed state laws on classes of ebikes, some capping at 20mph. The Villages is not located in California.

In a perfect world there would be no conflict as all the carts would follow the law and never exceed 20mph.

When this is solved talk to me about changing Federal law on ebikes.
Old 05-10-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
We have laws which determine what is a motor vehicle and what is not. The Federal law for golf cart vice low speed vehicle drew the line at 20mph.

A bicycle and ebikes fall under the Consumer Product Safety Commission. They drew the line at 28mph. That has to do with hills and the physical limits of ebikes. In practice 28mph is nearly impossible for most to maintain for any sustainable distance.

California developed state laws on classes of ebikes, some capping at 20mph. The Villages is not located in California.

In a perfect world there would be no conflict as all the carts would follow the law and never exceed 20mph.

When this is solved talk to me about changing Federal law on ebikes.
Think you are misunderstanding my thought. I don't have a problem with e-bike speeds over 20 MPH, and I actually think golf carts should be allowed to go 25 mph. 20 is too slow for the longer path stretches and as you note, many have golf carts that exceed 20 MPH. But not all.

But it raises a safety issue when you limit one vehicle's speed, but allow a higher limit for another vehicle that shares the same road. For example, when you are on a highway and see "minimum speed 45 mph" your first thought is "why would you go 45 mph when everyone else is doing 70 mph?" And then you see the guy that is, and he creates a hazard with everyone trying to pass him.

The problem is not the ebike going 25 mph. The problem is the golf carts that are being told they can't. FYI, as soon as my EV cart is out of warranty, I plan to bump the limit to 25 mph. Not so I can be a speed demon. But so I can keep up with the traffic flow, and not be a hazard with people trying to pass me at 23 mph.
Old 05-11-2023, 07:02 AM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4u View Post
The research I have done has led me to Lectric bikes. We will be buying 2:

Lectric eBikes - Electric Bikes Built so Everyone Can Ride
Do NOT get a Lectric bike. I have ridden them and the steering is too quick and squirrely due to the small diameter tires. I have 4 electric bikes and the absolute best bike for your money is a Ride1Up. Mine was $1700 & it is worth every penny. It far outshines the industry leaders such as Rad Power Bikes, Sondors, Aventon and more. Do NOT get an overpriced, under powered bike made by Specialized or Trek. You will need a minimum of a 500 watt motor and preferably a 750 watt or more. My Ride1Up has a 750 watt and my other Bafang direct drive is a 1000 watt mid drive. I also have a Sondors MadMods 750 watt ebike which is more of a big electric moped.
Old 05-11-2023, 07:27 AM
Veteran member

I looked at the Lectric when I was recently shopping. I did a lot of research, both on performance and value ,and on after purchase support. Lectric was one of the companies on my list. I did not buy a Lectric because it was very uncomfortable to ride for any period of time. I went with an Aventon beach cruiser (the Pace 500.2) as it has a nice upright design for riding, and checks all the boxes.

If you can find the Pace 500.2, it is currently being sold for $1,399. The new 500.3 just got released. The only change is that the 500.3 now has a torque sensor instead of a cadence sensor. Nearly all under $1K bikes will have a cadence sensor - meaning when you spin the pedals (no matter how easily), the motor kicks in. A torque sensor applies motor assist in direct relation to how hard you are pedaling.

The new 500.3 is $1,699. I'm not sure if the torque sensor is worth the extra $300, but you could test both.

The final reason I went with Aventon, is that I was able to get it from a local bike shop (Brick City Bicycles in Ocala), and they support it for the full 2 year warranty, and will do minor adjustments for free.
Old 05-11-2023, 08:23 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Do NOT get an overpriced, under powered bike made by Specialized or Trek. You will need a minimum of a 500 watt motor and preferably a 750 watt or more. My Ride1Up has a 750 watt and my other Bafang direct drive is a 1000 watt mid drive. I also have a Sondors MadMods 750 watt ebike which is more of a big electric moped.
Don't be fooled by wattage. The wattage is directly related to efficiency. So a mid drive 500 watt running at 80% efficiency gives you an effective 400 watts, while a hub drive 1,000 watts operates at 30% efficiency is 300 effective watts.

This is why you shouldn't take advice from random people on the internet.

FTR I don't care for Trek or Specialized bikes either, but I do appreciate facts.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:52 AM
Veteran member

Check out Zota E bikes ..... based in Sarasota. Veterans get a discount. Good videos on the bike made by the seller and also videos made by independent 3rd party. Good looking bikes and good features. And they're less expensive than most of the e bikes at the village cycle shop.
Closed Thread

Tags
electric, bike, transportation, form, car

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.