Electric Bike

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Do NOT get a Lectric bike. I have ridden them and the steering is too quick and squirrely due to the small diameter tires. I have 4 electric bikes and the absolute best bike for your money is a Ride1Up. Mine was $1700 & it is worth every penny. It far outshines the industry leaders such as Rad Power Bikes, Sondors, Aventon and more. Do NOT get an overpriced, under powered bike made by Specialized or Trek. You will need a minimum of a 500 watt motor and preferably a 750 watt or more. My Ride1Up has a 750 watt and my other Bafang direct drive is a 1000 watt mid drive. I also have a Sondors MadMods 750 watt ebike which is more of a big electric moped.
I guess I should have given a more complete answer. We will be traveling with our 5th wheel and will need something for short range exploration while taking up little space. The fact that one model folds in half and costs under $900 works for me!
Old 05-12-2023, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I've built two ebikes and owned ten. I think I have some insight to offer.

What is your price range? Are you comfortable with a internet only supported ebike or do you want a bike shop one.

Do you have a special purpose in mind or a certain style of bike that you are after? For example I have one that is dedicated to carrying grandkids.

Do you want a natural feel to your ebike assistance or do you just want raw power?

lectric bikes have been mentioned, it's an Internet only bike that excels at value. I wouldn't choose it as I am after features that aren't offered at that price point.

I'll leave you with this, the technologies available fall into the below 2,800.00 range and above. There are few sub 1,000.00 options- Lectric is one of them.

Don't get hung up on power (watts) of ebikes it is easy for manufacturers to lie, so much so that it is meaningless. If you are curious why I'll be happy to elaborate.

Finally expect a wealth of ebikes hatred drivel from posters on this forum/thread.
Hate is a word far too often used. Perhaps like the word awesome, it is has been so overused that it has lost all meaning.

It says you've had 12 e-bikes, does make one wonder. My OPINION, I ride a bike you peddle. Goal is to get exercise. A bike of any sort on the multimodal paths or roads is risky. Florida has won the title of having among the worst drivers in the nation. Teasing a little. It seems some of the drivers want to be sure Florida maintains the title.
Old 05-12-2023, 01:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebasset View Post
Very good post, but I wanted to address your last point.

I like the concept of ebikes, and it will probably be my next bike at some point. So I don't hate them.

What I don't like, and I suspect TV may address at some point, is their top speed, which can be well over 20 MPH, which is more than should be sustainable on a MMP. Seems to me that if golf carts aren't supposed to go faster, ebikes should have the same limitation.

Otherwise, they should be required to use the surface roads.
An endless debate. I seem to recall police could issue a ticket for unsafe driving. In plainspeak driving STUPID. Today you need to violate some ordinance.

My view like everything else there are few people, the same people who "think," to hell with anybody but ME. You will find them walking, on bikes,in golf carts and in cars.
Old 05-12-2023, 01:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4u View Post
I guess I should have given a more complete answer. We will be traveling with our 5th wheel and will need something for short range exploration while taking up little space. The fact that one model folds in half and costs under $900 works for me!
There are also folding peddle bikes. A bike that folds, power or not, beware of small wheels they do not work well on rough or unpaved roads. Folding bikes, attaching panners, bags to carry stuff is difficult. Exploration? Will you take tool kit? A flat is common. Lunch, water, soda etc? I've gone to the grocery by bike and come back with ???? 20-30 pounds of groceries. Folding bikes many are not rated for my weight plus 30 pounds.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

Try not to get a cheap one from China they’re catching on fire in apartment buildings throughout the country.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Hate is a word far too often used. Perhaps like the word awesome, it is has been so overused that it has lost all meaning.

It says you've had 12 e-bikes, does make one wonder. My OPINION, I ride a bike you peddle. Goal is to get exercise. A bike of any sort on the multimodal paths or roads is risky. Florida has won the title of having among the worst drivers in the nation. Teasing a little. It seems some of the drivers want to be sure Florida maintains the title.
Why would you question or wonder why an expert like Toymeister has owned 12 ebikes. How many cars have you owned? Should we be wondering why?

Statements like "I ride a bike you peddle" just exhibits ignorance of ebikes. Every ebike I have used allows pedaling, you can choose zero, moderate or high assist as you like. When you have a torque sensing mid drive motor like a Tongsheng, you have to work for the assist.

pxl_20220803_233018725-jpg
Closed Thread

Tags
electric, bike, transportation, form, car

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.